I have an HDD that I move from computer to computer, NIC problems on some

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MrBrotato, Feb 27, 2007.

1. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Ok, I'm going through about 40 computers with all sorts of crap on them. What I do is put in my HDD with XP loaded, I test the computers, make sure everything works and then format the drive that is currently in it. I'm having a weird problem with the embeded NICs not working for some reason though.

I can take the HDD out of a comp that is on the network, move it into another comp with the same motherboard and the NIC won't work. On Friday I had 3 computers I put notes on the embeded NICs did not work. Today I decided to try them again since it was a little suspicious that ALL 3 would have their embeded NICs fail. Well... they worked just fine today. I couldn't get the NICs working all Friday, shut down the comps and left them, turned them on Monday and they work fine. What is up with that?

So I was excited that it was then working... I switch the HDD to the 4th computer and the NIC doesn't work again. I have the correct drivers.

In one case Windows automatic updates downloaded themselves but yet I had a 192.168.x.x address and could not ping and could not ipconfig /renew. How is that even possible?

It is like the NICs are failing to hear back from DHCP. And sometimes I will see like LAN connection 9 has limited or no connectivity. There is only 1 LAN connection on each computer.

I'm going a little crazy here.