I have an external harddrive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

right now its formatted to FAT32, would it be benficial to format it as NTFS?

All of my machines are XP and I sometimes use it with my PS3

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not sure that PS3 supports NTFS... I bet it doesn't.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

4. Chris

Chris New Member

well, ok but what about if I dont hook it up to the ps3, just use it between my xp machines?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

definitely NTFS, then.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

NTFS is definitely a safer format because it keeps a journal of every single thing it does to the files on the disk, but FAT32 is faster because it doesn't do that. This doesn't really have an impact on internal hard drives, but since using USB is like drinking through a straw, NTFS' extra layers of protection will slow down your file transfers. So it's a tradeoff, really...if you're not going to be transferring enough data at a time to notice the speed loss from NTFS, or if you have a FireWire drive, then NTFS is the better choice, whereas FAT32 is better if you've got a slower USB2 (or, God forbid, USB1.1) connection, but if you use FAT32 you have to be careful to never yank the cord out of the drive unless you're sure it's not doing anything.

7. Chris

Chris New Member

ok, what about turning the drive on or off while the computer is running.

8. deusexaethera

That's the same as unplugging it and replugging it, hence the same considerations apply.

FAT32 is faster, but it's only safe if you don't interrupt it. If you don't trust yourself to watch the disk activity light for a couple of seconds to make sure the disk is idle before pulling the plug, then use NTFS and accept the speed decrease. If you can't use NTFS (like with your playstation), then FAT32 will quickly punish you for careless behavior.

9. Chris

Chris New Member

so, what would be the proper method for using this drive.

I dont leave my desktop on constantly, and i certaintly dont leave the external drive on because it has this stupid blue led that lights up the whole room at night. So should I shut the computer down, then hit the power switch on the external drive to turn it off? Then the same in reverse at startup, drive on then computer?

10. deusexaethera

You can do that, or you can hit the "Stop" button in the window (whatever it's called) that pops up as a little green arrow when you plug stuff into your computer. Alternately, you can just make sure that nothing is actively using the drive before you unplug it.

As far as bootup goes, it doesn't really matter which order the drive and the PC get turned on in, unless having the drive on during bootup causes the PC to hang, in which case you're options are reduced to turning the drive on after Windows is loaded.

11. Chris

Chris New Member

aight, thanks