I have a zombie computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by benson304, Mar 7, 2007.

1. benson304

benson304 OT Supporter

My computer stays alive even when it's off and completely unplugged.

I have no idea what could be causing this, it's nothing I've ever seen or heard about before.

When I turn off the computer the CD drive lights up, and then the top drive clicks non-stop if it is plugged into the wall. If I unplug the computer, then it still lights up and clicks, but it slows down a lot then eventually is only lit up.

I can make the other drive light up if I push its eject button, but it does not click.

I have a video of this for better explanation, my light in my room burnt out right as I was recording, so that was weird....... ibZombie electronics. :hsugh::hsugh:

http://www.bensone.com/freakdrive.wmv

2. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

LED lights dont require a lot of energy so you could be getting a slight backfeed from the PSU. Change out the PSU and see what happens?

3. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Try this... turn the PC off and unplug it THEN press the power button and see if the lights go out. The internals of a PC can sometimes hold a charge even if it is unplugged.

4. benson304

benson304 OT Supporter

If I turn it off, switch off the back switch, and hit the power button, it seems like it's coming on for half a second and then turns off, so it does seem like charge is being held somewhere.

The LEDs will still light up after this, but no clicking, if I switch the back switch back on, the LEDs blink and the top drive sounds like a laser is turning on and off inside it.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Capacitors in power supplies and even on motherboards can hold a charge for hours.