MIL I have a tough decision to make... v.Reserves to Guard

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ranger-AO, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

The background:
    I have a friend who is a 1st SGT in a Guard unit. I am currently in the Army Reserves. I joined with a $15K prior service bonus for 21B (Combat Engineer). I want a combat arms MOS. I like 21B. I want to blow shit up. I would have gone active duty if I wasn't too old. [fuck every one of you young shitheads, by the way. :madfawk:] Oh - and the Reserves are eliminating most of the 21B slots in the near future by crosstraining into other MOS slots.

The decision:
    My friend has an open Intel AGR slot in his Infantry unit. He says it is mine if I want it. The only catch is that I will lose the bonus, and I will lose the 21B. So gimme some of that Barracks expert advice. I'm torn. :hsugh:

2. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

well you have gotten half of the bonus already and you will have to repay back a prorated amount. Also AGR slots are hard as fuck to get and is a cake job that normally ends with at least an e-7/e-8 rank.

Are you looking to retire from military? If so then go guard.

If you want to stay on parttime status then stay reserves. Personally i would go guard. (not because I am guard) but the benefits are much better in the guard. You get state and federal benefits instead of just federal.

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Show us your tits.

4. Ranger-AO

I haven't received any of the bonus $$ yet. And I tend to agree with everything you said.

They are posted in the Mod Corner. All new mods have to post nudes there. :o

5. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Username and PW?

6. Ranger-AO

bubble/butt

7. Pump Scout

Pump Scout New Member

From what I saw, the Guard has become pretty similar to the Reserves, but with a state mission as well as the federal one. I made the switch in 1993, and had to put up with a TON of hassles from my Reserve CO about going Guard. Not to mention my unit (which was shut down 6 months after I jumped) losing my paperwork twice. The thing I thought was really shitty was that I did that during my initial 6/2 contract, made 100% sure my contract to the Guard was the same 6/2 with time served counting toward the 6, and they still tried to fuck me into 2 more years. I'd actually gone in to re-up, and they told me I had another 2 to do. After counseling with my squad leader, platoon sergeant, and platoon leader, we came to the unanimous conclusion that the paper-pushers should go fuck themselves.

Anywho, AGR is a little different, I understand. Full-time job, mostly answering the phones at the armory, being the on-site soldier for whatever the unit needs. If you're on the hunt for full-time, this wouldn't be a bad way to do it.

8. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Make the move.

9. Ranger-AO

first the bait. then the switch. :hsugh:

It would be interesting. I have to admit that it is not something that I would have chosen without the added incentive of AGR, though.
    Rumor Control says within a year we should have firm orders.
    I don't know. I believe that I will be able to choose from any MOS that has an open slot in a unit that is close enough to drill with - and that my ASVAB and security clearance will qualify me for.

I have heard that as well, from both Guard and Reserve recruiters. I just met with the Guard recruiter again today and he says that some Reserve-to-Guard soldiers have received the bonus even if they weren't actually supposed to get it. I'm not going to hold my breath on that one, though...
    Yeah... I am not looking forward to that. At all. Not even a little bit. :hsugh:

10. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

jsut a little tid-bit... When your MOS is phased out you will be assigned a new MOS. Right now hawaii is phasing out infantry for cav scouts and we have no choice in matter. I guess you could argue breach of contract but normally you will not get to pick your MOS.

Just make sure you make the promotion before you leave otherwise you will be in hold status and not get promoted until you are MOS q'd + 6 months in your new MOS.