GUN i have a spyderco sharpmaker. it blows. make it not suck

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

So I bought a spyderco sharpmaker a number of years ago and I'm pretty much unhappy with it. I've worked my endura wave on it enough that it can be sharpened fairly well on it now. When it comes to other knives though its just too frustrating. It offers choices of 15 or 20 degree angles but the brown stone just isn't very rough and if you're trying to reprofile a knife to 15 or 20 degrees... eventually just give up. Anyone else have one? Any tips on how to take something like a kitchen knife and make it not suck with the sharpmaker? Should I have bought the lansky? :big grin:

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

No carbide wheel at 20,000 RPM no care.

3. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Should have bought the Gatco :p

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

You have to wash the ceramic (I think they are cermaic) bars regularly. They fill up and then it doesn't sharpen worth a crap. Read the instructions I think you use comet deterent iirc. Like anything else it takes some practice you have to hold the blade at the correct angle (strait up and down) and be really consistent with it. Once you get that down everything should be stupid sharp.

5. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I sure wish those diamond sticks were cheaper, it seems to be what I need but man...pricey.

7. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

It took a couple of times sharpening the knife but I was able to remove the imperfections with the included stones.

I had to use the 30 degree back bevel once or twice because I thought I might have over sharpened. I did the 30 degree edge followed by the 40 degree edge and everything worked out fine.