SRS I have a rediculously lazy roomate

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by quickone, Mar 1, 2009.

1. quickone

quickone New Member

Ok...It is a coworker (former coworker as of last week) who I had asked to move in with me 2 years ago as a way to help pay the bills...now hes a big pothead and by seeing his bedroom as his parents I should have known better but he had promised to keep things clean....He is basically a hermit to his own room and whenever he's not working he is obsessed with videogames and that is all he does....that and smokes weed constantly. He seems to always be depressed and only seems to be happy when someone around him seems more miserable. Most recent I can think of is at work he just mopes and barely talks to anyone...when my boss came and yelled at one of my other co workers...it was like a switch flipped and he suddenly became more happy and talkative.

Now back to the apartment situation..his room is an absolute pigsty..tons of fast food bags and empty soda/beer/ ciggarette butts on the windowsill with ashes all around...(first rule of the apt was NO smoking inside) and now i see multiple ashtrays around...He's a type to keep emotions to himself as well and will randomly have outbursts...used to be at me at work as well as others but that stopped with me when he moved in.

He does NOTHING around the apt to help out...nothing at all. I vacuum, dust, round up all the garbage and leave it down in a pile for him to take out (that took a long time of actually getting him to do it). He just stays in his room and has his tv up so loud i cant sleep at night and repeatedly have to tell him to turn it down...he will get all high and pass out and leave it on...has no concept of saving money on elec...used to be no more than $60 a month with me and my last roomate and since he came its been around $170 on average. He will use my bowls, glasses and silverware (which is fine) EXCEPT...they will stay in his filthy room for a month until I ask him to bring them out and wash them...he will bring them out and leave them in the sink...hair and everything else in it from sittin on his floor...so far this past time ive asked him a total of 4 times to clean the bowl (over a period of it sitting on the kitchen counter for 3 weeks) he recently used and put a big sign on it for him to clean it..he just keeps walking past it and ignoring me when I say it...im done cleaning his shit for him..im not his mother..

His car, cell, insurance is also all in his mothers name....he has never paid a bill in his life except handing money out to me for rent and his mother for his other bills. He's 25 and has 0 credit. He is out as soon as this lease is up and will probably go back to his moms...me and some co workers have tried hooking him up with decent looking girls who r jus looking to have sex (we felt he needed it lol...he has never been with a girl since we known him but he says he has had a gf in the past) He is just so high and oblivious all the time i want to say grow the hell up and start taking responsibility for yourself...he will be so retarded some nights he will come home and forget to lock the door and go to sleep...or forget to even shut the door all together....middle of winter too.

And shit like just now he comes home and into his room to play his video game so loud I can't even finish watching my movie in the living room and he walks right past the bowl/glass with the big sign that says wash please...I've become so aggrivated with his ass I can't even say anything to his face without me flipping out on him and im trying to not let it come to that. I could go on about his laziness but I think i've already written enough....

Has anyone ever lived with anyone like this? What's his deal? Is he purposely trying to be a dickhead or does he just hate his life/videogame addicted/pothead to realize anything?

I realize I should be going to his face and explaining stuff but his mentality is he will take it in a bad way and start getting pissed and if I mention the smoking ciggs Im sure he will still do it, but he will be secretive about it. I admit I have a temper...but we have both been mild tempered with each other here the whole time living together but im starting to get at my last nerve here and once I end up getting pissed I don't handle it well...trying to keep it civil...I do not want to clean this bowl...I want him to just do the bare minimum at least...clean what you use...keep stuff clean. I think in his mind he moved out of his parents house because his dad wanted him to start mowing the lawn (he told me joking around one day but i believe there was some truth to it) so does he think apt life comes with less responsibility?? As of right now it is with how hes living. You could open the door to his room and try to have a conversation with him while hes in the middle of a game and he will not hear a single word you say...just will completely ignore you. Have some fucking common courtesy.

cliff notes: laziest roomate ive ever encountered, doesnt clean the bowls/glasses he uses/doesnt help out in anyway, lives filthy, elec hog/ want to punch in face.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. Hello Panda

Hello Panda New Member

There is no excuse for that, kick him out.

3. quickone

quickone New Member

He told one of my coworkers hes not gonna renew the lease and so far he hasn't said a word to me about it. My lease is up in may/june...then hes out. If he doesn't make his room and bathroom the way it was before he moved in...hes not getting his half of the sec. deposit back.

4. quickone

quickone New Member

Should I tough it out and just wait until the lease is up or get on his ass about it?

5. northw3st

northw3st New Member

i would bring it up now. say - i hear you plan on not renewing the lease - make sure you have your bathroom and room spotless so you can get your share of the deposit.

6. quickone

quickone New Member

Yeah im going to bring that up to him...but im sure he will forget it 5 minutes later....

I try to wonder wtf is going on in his head..why he is the way he is.

7. northw3st

northw3st New Member

i once had a roommate in college like that. luckily i had another roommate who was more like me, so it was ok. same things - video game lover, smoked weed too much, fast food trash everywhere, blah blah blah.

you have to kind of make a big deal about it. make it clear you'll only tell him once, and if he doesn't have it cleaned by a certain date, then you're keeping his share of the deposit. that's that. make it known that you mean business and you intend on following through. then never speak to him again.

8. quickone

quickone New Member

Yup I don't work with him anymore so once hes out im done with him...im gonna txt him again since hes not here and tell him he better have that bowl/glass cleaned or he will be standing outside with it.

9. quickone

quickone New Member

Yeah he just ignores txts and doesnt answer calls

10. sdubz

sdubz New Member

im sorry man that sounds horrible.. i have a similar situation with a pothead roommate who is dirty (not as bad as your roommate though)

i used to get very upset but now i just accept he is that way and get on his case in a positive manner. i cannot wait til may/june as well because that is when our lease is up!

i guess we both learned a lesson on picking housemates haha

11. quickone

quickone New Member

Yeah...After I txted and called him he still came home and just went right back into his room.