GUN I have a question(Kimber vs all)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by shitsweak, Apr 29, 2010.

1. shitsweak

shitsweak New Member

I bought a magazine yesterday to check out, American Handgunner Personal Defence. I was looking at the 2010 buyers guide found the Kimbers the Covert is msrp $1,603.00 .45 ACP, 7 round cap, camo finish laser grips,merpolight night sights. And a lot more I'm sure.

Disclaimer: I know Kimbers are top of the line guns, dont get me wrong, I have shot them and I like them very much.

My question is why buy one Kimber for $1600.00 7 round cap, when you could get maybe two Glocks or XDs and still have a little left over for extra magazines and a box of ammo?
    To be honest if I could afford one I would probably get one but, you could even get a pretty nice AR/M4 for that?

2. BROKE

BROKE Mr. Selfdestruct

subtle troll thread

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

$1600 Kimber :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

lol @ kimber being "top of the line"

5. shitsweak

shitsweak New Member

Not a troll, real question.

What handguns are "top of the line"

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

sti

fuck a kimber

7. shitsweak

shitsweak New Member

Damn those are pretty badass. I've never really heard of that company before. I guess there is a world outside of Glocks and Kimbers.

edit: I am not trying to get shit stirred up glock vs kimber vs xd. I just had a cost vs quantity question.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  8. shitsweak

shitsweak New Member

Yeah, I know there is a difference between MSRP and gun shop prices, but I was at a local gun shop a few days ago and they had some Kimbers and even a few Sigs that were over $1,100.00-$1,200.00 range.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, like I said if I had the money I would probably get one of those high end guns or a couple.

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

:rofl: kimber is top of the line

10. lump

lump New Member

I have a kimber and I think it's a great gun. Not top of the line though.

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i see what you did there

12. shitsweak

shitsweak New Member

No one has answered the question yet. Lets say that I it wasn't a Kimber, how about a STI or Les Baer? I understand that they are very good quality guns but what I'm asking is why buy one gun for $1,800.00 when you could get two guns and still have money left over for extra mags and ammo?

I think the reason I haven't heard or paid much attention to the guns ya'll are talking about is because they are crazy expensive. Like I said if I had the money I would buy an STI or something similar.

What I'm asking is a $1800.00 STI(just an example) going to shoot someone/something any different than a $600.00 Glock,XD,S&W?

Its just a question.

13. shitsweak

shitsweak New Member

I guess next time I'm at the range I'll see if I can rent some of the guns that you have mentioned and see for myself. Knowing me I'll probably end up getting one in the future. Thanks for turning me on to some new gun companies.

14. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

A. a Kimber that costs $1600 must be pretty damn special.... as said above in other posts, they are available for much MUCH less than that

B. Kimber makes a nice .45acp

C. if mag capacity is a concern then forget the 1911's and go with a double stack

D. Just buy a damn glock for a couple hundred bucks less (cause a Kimber shouldn't cost $1600 in the first place)

15. bulzeye

bulzeye Meatatarian

I have STI's intro model and it was 659 the STI spartan. fantastic gun. I have about 1k through it with no issues so far.
    The next 1911 that I'll be purchasing is the STI trojan.

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Is a Porsche going to get you from Point A to point B in a different manner than a Civic? It's faster and it's more attractive, etc etc but you still leave point A and arrive at point B regardless of transportation. Same thing applies here. It's all about personal preference.

17. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

are you really asking this question?

why buy an 80k m3 when you could have 2 40k's 328i's. you get what you pay for (most of the time)

18. shitsweak

shitsweak New Member

I see what ya'll are saying when you put it in those terms(porsche/m3 vs civic). I think what really got to me about that Kimber was the 7 round cap. But now that I have looked at other handguns that everyone has mentioned I see that the quality and accessories that come from the factory are far better than most guns on the market.

I was looking at the same magazine today and I found the Wilson Combat(I thought Kimbers were expensive) the Wilson's MSRP were around $2800.00. I guess I need to check them out too.

While researching the guns you have mentioned I noticed that STI has a few double stack guns that are pretty badass, I will be sure to keep those in mind on my next handgun buy.

As I said before next time I'm at the range, I will see if I can rent some of the guns everyone has mentioned and see for myself.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  19. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New Member

I would treat MSRP like MSRP on car as well, I can't think of one firearm that I've bought at MSRP, but then again most of the ones I've bought have been used. Of the ones that I've bought new, none of them were close to MSRP.

And I guess here's the thing since you're into 1911's predominately. I have an old norinco 1911, it's not pretty, it's not smooth, it's actually pretty rough. But I've never had any stoppages or problems with it and it's amazingly accurate. I think I paid less than $300 for it several years back. Ultimately it goes bang when it's supposed to... does it have the amount of polish or work the wilson's or sti's have? absolutely not. But that depends on what's important to you.