GUN I have a question about gun laws...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HPS, Jul 28, 2004.

1. HPS

HPS I'm not fat, I'm poofy... :fawk:

Please only give me a straight/honest answer, not typical OT bullshit to mess with me... ;)

It's really just and ammo/TX law question. I always take my Glock with me when I go to Dallas (where I am going in 2 days). I don't have my CHL, so I carry in the trunk, clip out (mainly in case I get to go to the range). I know it's ok to do this because I am crossing counties as well as going to a range (I hope). My question is whether hollow points are legal in TX? I have them in all the time, as I will when I get my CHL and carry. I am just curious as to whether they are legal. If I get pulled over on the way there, where I would have been legally transporting my firearm, am I now in trouble because of the hollow points? Along with that. What if someone breaks in my house and I shoot/kill him. I do it %100 legally so I'm all good, but I used hollow points. Am I now in the wrong and up for murder?

Just want to know if they are legal, and if not, how it will effect the above?

2. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

what kind of hollow points? i would assume that if you can buy them at a gun store you can have them. if they were not legal they would not sell them to you. i dont know if you can carry a loaded magazine in the car with you? if someone broke into your house and you shot them, in texas it would be self defence. you may me liable to a wrongfull death lawsuit but in texas the chance of you winning is strong.

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Hollowpoints are legal in TX, I am 100% certain because you can buy them at Walmart

I was always told if you dont have a CHL, put the gun out of reach and unloaded, I transport mine in my trunk unloaded to and from the range. I think there might be a exception to needing a CHL when you travel

4. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

I'd like to try to answer it but I'd highly recommend you to contact your local ATF agent on this. Mainly becaue I've heard conflicting stories from different law enforcement agencies regarding the county line. I think its up to their discretion to allow it within their jurisdiction or not. I carry hollow points in my magazines. Not only for stopping the attacker but really also to show that I'm responsible enough to use the proper ammo so it won't endanger anyone else. (Bunch of legal mumbo jumbo that would help you at time of defense.) I'm not going to even attempt to answer your last question...:hs: I don't want to give you the wrong legal idea...

5. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Usually the stigma of Hollowpoints is with certain makes. I think the Black Rhinos at some point were illegal because they were rumored to go through bulletproof vests. These claims were never proven. Then the Black Talons which I have have a stigma. The stigma was bad enough Winchester changed the name of them to a SXT or something like that. The hollowpoint in its generic form as I mentioned can be purchased at Walmart. If you have a high velocity round such as a 9mm you would almost need one to make the round have any stopping power.

6. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Remember we are in Texas and not Kalifornia :mamoru: There is nothing in Texas laws prohibiting carrying or target shooting with hollowpoints. For transporting it here is the law
    § 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person
    commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly
    carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.
    (b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under
    this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third
    degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or
    issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

Here is the section sorta clarifying part (b)
    (2) is on the person's own premises or premises under
    the person's control unless the person is an employee or agent of
    the owner of the premises and the person's primary responsibility
    is to act in the capacity of a security guard to protect persons or
    property, in which event the person must comply with Subdivision
    (5);
    (3) is traveling;
    4) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other
    sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is
    conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's
    residence, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

Now when I was in my CHL class the instructor said the law on travelling isn't defined very well, kind of leaving it open for different interpretations, and you can see from what I posted it's not clear at all. As long as the magazines are seperated from the gun you should be fine, if you want to be real safe lock the gun in the trunk and the mags in the glovebox. Here is the link to the TX penal code if you want to read any more, the part on weapons is section 10 chapter 46 http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/petoc.html

:bigthumb:

7. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

If its in your trunk and you are going to the range then no big deal.

When it comes to crossing counties I think you are trying to talk about Peacable Journey Laws which normally only apply if you are crossing state lines.

Are you 21 yet? If not then I think there might be a problem with you posessing a handgun.

All handgun caliber bullets that are not steel core or explosive are OK. I carry Winchester Rangers which are only sold to Law Enforcement but they are not illegal for me to posess.

In texas it doesn't matter if you killed them with rock salt or 500 grain .50cal BMG round. Dead is dead. And it also doesn't matter how many times you shoot the intruder. Dead is dead.

8. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

I know this doesn't answer your question but, why dont you just get your CHL? Compared to all the shit we have put up with to get one here in Kommiefornia, geting one there should be easy.
    :dunno: