SRS I have a question about addiction...// your thoughts?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by watermouse, Jan 5, 2008.

1. watermouse

watermouse BeefySnax

So here it goes.

My story,

I was a opiate addict for 6-7 years, heavy user, needles and all. anyways I been straight for almost a year now.

Is what I want to know is what are your thoughts on drinking? When I first quit drugs I didnt want to drink, but now I do drink. Now I only drink like once a month IF THAT, sometimes i'll go a couple months. Sometimes, if in the mood ill get plastard(on special occasion) and sometimes ill drink maybe 1 beer or 2. or a shot.

I am 100% controlling my drinking and I dont crave it or feel i need it as a substitute. I do it just for occasion(friends or family)

What are you thoughts on this? I have pretty much bant* myself from going to AA because I do drink every now and then, and I dont relate to any of them, especially the old timers...

yup....w0rd.

2. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

it was my experience that it took me longer to become addicted to alcohol than it did "hard" drugs. So i was able to control it for quite some time, and, just like the meth and weed and such did, it controlled me in the end. What a pain in the ass that was.

It was kind of like when i smoked cigarettes for ten years. I never smoked in my car, except very rare stressful occasions, so i controlled it in a sense, but i'll be damned if i could stop when i had bronchitis, for example.

3. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

But isn't that how all of us were in the beginning? :noes:

I, too, was a heavy heavy heavy opiate addict. And to be honest, I just never really liked alcohol that much. So I guess my view on drinking is that if you dont need it, why even risk putting yourself through hell again? Sure it would be fun to have a drink now and then but I just remember being curled up on a bathroom floor for 6 days and then all the emotional turmoil that followed, so for me I'm willing to pretty much avoid anything that will even potentially put me in that spot again.

4. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

this is my philisophy as well

5. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

Be careful, watermouse. Don't let the good feelings from alcoholic beverages give you the craving to go back.....they both make you feel good, and sooner or later something will happen. Thats just my opinion though.

6. Scoop

Scoop New Member

alcohol can lead to bad decisions, id stay away from vulnerable situations.

7. occam

occam Convergence Expert

The general consensus in the recovery community is that in order to abstain from drugs, alcohol needs to be avoided.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Gratz on getting off opiates.

My thoughts? I dunno, it doesn't sound like your drinking is creating a problem for you. If you were anyone other than a former drug user, I would say there's nothing to worry about until there's something to worry about. However you have, in the past, been very into drugs and it doesn't sound like it was in an experimental/recreational way. This to me, indicates that you may have addiction issues.

Addiction issues are difficult to diagnose in this type of forum. In fact, they may be difficult to diagnose in person. I was a very sneaky and conniving alcoholic and I did whatever I had to do in order to continue my drinking. So if that ment lying to someone....so be it. If that ment telling my story, leaving out huge chunks of the truth that made me look bad, so be it. If that ment, minimizing any "bad stuff" that may have occurred while drinking...fuck yeah...I'll do it.

So while your descriptions of your drinking seem very innocent, your past drug use is a huge red flag. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're an alcoholic, I'm just sharing some thoughts with you. It's also very common for addicts and alcoholics to simply switch their "drug of choice". For me drinking was my drug of choice but I'd also do drugs if they were available. It's just part of the disease of addiction....and it's a complicated disease.

However, I firmly believe that if alcohol isn't causing you problems in your life or if you don't have many problems in your life right now, then there's nothing to address. But if this is true, then why create this thread in the first place??

It's also possible that you're looking for a license to go drink as much as you want, whenever you want. You may want people to tell you....nothing to worry about here, drink up man. Then you'll use that feedback to continue destructive habits.

Only you know the whole picture of your life and your drinking habits. Only you can diagnose whether or not you're an alcoholic. Only you know whether or not you're being 100% honest with us or whether your leaving out some recent events that don't paint you in such a favorable light.

So really....why are we here again?

9. watermouse

watermouse BeefySnax

Nice post...

The reason I made this thread is because I was bored and reading this forum and I was just thinking. I was thinking about "Meetings" and how I dont like AA but rather NA and just decided to post a thread on this to...well...now that you ask.

why are we here again? hahaha

w0rd...

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I'm just here for the gangbang.:hsd: