SRS I have a problem with lying for no reason

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Yardsale, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I think it stems from lying so much as a child. I hate it. I think I do it because it's convenient, almost second nature. I don't even realize the lies I'm telling until I think about it later and I'm like WTF, that never happened!

Anyone have any advice? I want to be a better person, and I want to be aware of what I say and do. Also, I suffer from putting my foot in my mouth constantly as well. :hsd:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  2. Saturn Sun

Saturn Sun New Member

Maybe you have a disorder?!like BPD Borderline Personnality disorder? :hsugh:

3. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I don't know what that is. I've been told by people I have peter pan syndrome :doh:

4. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

It's like Sam in Garden State. Except not cute. And I'm pretty sure the lies are transparent. I don't know why I do it :wtc:

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Give us an example of one of the lies you tell for no reason?

6. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

Ok, my ex asked me what shows I went to see recently, and out of the blue I said I saw this band recently and they weren't even touring near where I live. I'm pretty sure she knew too, because she was like "you sure?" :hsugh:

I am an idiot, why do I even say these things :wtc:

7. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

You can fly? You never age? Your shadow runs away?

BEST SYNDROME EVER!

8. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

i'm kind of like that but i make up minor stuff.

9. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

well yeah, same here. I don't lie about huge things. But still, it annoys me and disappoints me :wtc:

10. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

I used to do that: Compulsive lying.

I did it because I thought folks would like me more. It turns out that I personally figured out that I talked too much. Over the years I changed to the point where I will now ask folks what THEY have been doing, or make OBVIOUS jokes (lies!) about what I did.

So when the GF says what I did, I'll say "Oh, nothing, that roadie gig for Aerosmith was pretty boring. They had me hauling all this useless crap around, so I kicked them in the nards and stole their bus. Wanna go for a ride? It's parked around the corner. :mamoru: "

When I realized I was doing it, I just worked on NOT doing it any more. I realized it was more fascinating to learn about other people and then kid around with them. :big grin:

11. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

Yeah, I think I do it because people will like me more. I am horrible at calling people; I always wait for people to call me. Maybe I just need to get over myself and show more interest in my friends and the people I meet :dunno:

12. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

that is kinda odd, have you thought about talking to a counselor about it?

13. cd7

cd7 how troublesome

i think liars are scum, how hard is it to tell the truth?

14. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

Not hard at all. It gets to be subconcious at times, which is a real problem.

15. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Compulsive lying, basically used to get what you want. I always tell the truth, because lying creates a situation resembling a card house falling down, if the cards have nothing to stand on, they'll fall. If what you say isn't backed up by something substantial, your story will collapse. That's why i don't bother to lie anymore.

16. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

Yeah I have nothing to stand on, and when I lie it seems so trivial. :sad2:

I'm a compulsive liar :crying:

17. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

This will sound harsh, and sound like I'm simplifying your problem.

You say you have a problem with lying....then stop doing it.

you are in COMPLETE control of this behavior.

It will take some effort, but the next time you start talking to people, and are asked a question...when the urge to lie comes up, and the deceitful answer runs through your head, stop yourself from speaking. Hold it back, and consciously rethink how you should answer.

You're in the habit of lying, but you can change that habit.

18. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Actually learn to control it, but dont stop doing it.

Lying effectively can help you control people around you. Especially if you can do it effectively.

Helped me alot in my life. Not neciserrily lie, just dont tell full truth, ever.

19. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

Yeah. I also think a lot before I speak, so I know that contributes to the problem :sad2:

20. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

And why is it that other people around you need to be "controlled"?

21. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

:wtc: I thought it was funny. I know some of you at least cracked a smile. :squint:

I find myself lying sometimes to embellish a story and make it a little more interesting to the people I'm telling it to. I can definitely see the compulsive aspect to it and I think it stems in some degree from the fact that we like the attention of a captivated audience when we tell a story. :dunno:

22. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

Depends. Lying is a very dangerous tool. Any idiot can tell the truth but it takes a smart man to tell a good lie.

23. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

The problem is that at some point it actually had a positive benefit for the OP. For example, if you were like me in junior high school, lying was the only way to get ANYone interested in talking to me AT ALL. Why? Because I had no social skills.

One thing that helped me, now that I think about it, is a book called "How to win friends and influence people" written by Dale Carnegie. This book is something like 60 years old, but is still in print. My dad gave it to me, clearly because he saw I was a clueless idiot. When I read it, there were a lot of tips in there that I used to be more of a "real" person.

I am sure there are other books out there that touch on the same topic of making conversation, flirting, being social, etc. I know when I was younger, however, I was embarrassed to look at or own those types of books. In reality, looking back, I was completely stupid about that. If anyone had given me shit for that, I should have replied "I'm proud to be improving myself, and seeing as how you can only put me down is an example of the kind of person I *don't* want to be, so shut it."

Nowadays, over 50% of the books on my shelf are about improving ones self, dating, flirting, jokes, being a better person, etc. I don't have any of those "You're sick, heal yourself" kind of books, though.

You may want to check out some of these books:
    http://www.fastseduction.com/books.shtml

Most are designed from a dating point of view, but there are a few that aren't - find THOSE ones and read the reviews, click the "related products" links, and see what is out there.

To me, it just seems that you have reached the point where your lying has outgrown it's usefulness. You now need to learn how to find a new social technique to be a fun person to be around. It'll take time, maybe 6 months, but what do you have to lose?

24. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Small cock?

25. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

I thought this was an on-topic area, cock jokes belong in the main OT area.