i have a problem v. game walkthroughs

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by hollywood, Sep 24, 2009.

1. hollywood

hollywood its the final countdown!

i dont know if im the only one here that feels the same way, but lately ive been in the finish games front to back mode but i want to complete them with a walkthrough.

it all started when i first played FFVII and got to the end wayyyyyy too fast and got my ass beat. i bought the book and followed it back to front ... learned all the ins and outs (found all the items / materia) and it kicked ass.

now whatever game i play old or new. i want to make sure i collect everything. :hs:

2. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

You have a problem

3. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Dumb, if i wanted to read a book with a twist, i would go pick up a choose your own adventure book. I play games to figure things out, have fun and hopefully run into some problems. A walkthrough makes a game boring, you collect the best weapons/armor have no problems and you just read 1 part and go on to the next part. BORING

4. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:werd: I only use a walkthrough if I'm pulling my hair out in frustration trying to figure out what to do next, and only for the solution to the problem I need. Otherwise, like ITR06 says, it's pretty much a choose your own adventure book that you are playing.

5. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

I usually play through a game at least twice. The first time without a guide using my own knowledge and the second time using the guide to get 100% completion.

The one exception to this is Fallout 3. Since there are so many quests in the game and I didn't want to just fly through the main quest, I chose to instead play through each individual quest one time without the guide. After I complete the quest, I reload my save and use the guide to pick up anything I might have missed. During this playthrough, I save before opening doors/talking to people/and anything else that has skill checks. If I fail the skill check, I reload my save and repeat until I pass the skill check and get the extra item/caps/xp whatever. I'm pretty OCD about games to say the least. :o

6. freshie

freshie New Member

only games i've ever used walkthroughs for was oblivion & fallout, wayyyyy to much shit i missed first playthroughs

7. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

I only use guides on my second playthrough of games. I'm typically a completionist and my first playthrough I can usually bang out anywhere from 80-90% done, but I always gotta get that last 10%.

8. Trippster413

Trippster413 "This bitch is crazy!"

I played through the campaign on Shadow Complex all the way through and couldn't find the last key....

shit like this is the reason I use walkthroughs

9. FunkyMunniez

I do have to agree though, games like Oblivion need to have a spoiler free walkthrough on any play through. Game just has way too much you can miss.

Games like Final Fantasy though, they tend to follow some generic rules when being made. ie the longest possible way is always the next way to go when traveling through dungeons and all that.

10. Clancer

Clancer New Member

sometimes using a walkthrough the first time through is kinda fun. I used one for FF3 for DS and it was more intense trying to get a perfect save file than running around not knowing what to do

11. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

i'm not into collecting everything, since it just feels like work to me (except for unique weapons in fallout)

i know what you mean about progressing through the game too fast, though. i spent 78 hours on this playthru of fallout 3, and i was still learning new stuff in the last hour - shit that would have made the rest of the game easier / more fun.

12. Chanandler Bong

Chanandler Bong OT Supporter

well, walkthroughs usually ruin the gaming experience if it's your first time playing

i have to admit, gamefaqs was a great help when i played ff7 the third time, trying for the 100% save. (i missed one treasure chest :rofl: ugh. fucking cait sith weapon)

however, if i didn't borrow my friend's walkthrough along with his FFX, i probably wouldn't have finished that pos

13. FunkyMunniez

most annoying weapons to get in final fantasy:

1. zoidac spear...fucking seriously?
    2. lulu's ultimate weapon in FFX...fuck dodging lightning. I'd get up to 198 then get struck.
    ???
    4. knights of the round.

14. Chanandler Bong

Chanandler Bong OT Supporter

not really a weapon, but gold chocobo in ff7 can be 10+hours easily

edit: oh i see kotr is the accumulation of that

15. ApathyAsylum

ApathyAsylum OT Supporter

only used a walkthrough once and that was with Shenmu on Dreamcast. i generally only use them if i can't figure out how to get passed an obstical and its making me hate an otherwise decent game. walkthroughs make the game too fucking boring and linear

16. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

it took my like 6 hours non stop doing that ffx chocobo race for tidus ultimate weapon :bowrofl: finished at like 3 am, had class a few hours later :rofl::rofl:

17. Clancer

Clancer New Member

the lightning dodging is one of the most overlooked frustrating things in a game ever :rofl:

all of the ultimate stuff was hard as shit to get

18. FunkyMunniez

idk :rofl:

the only ones I had problems with were lulu and and tidus. tidus, too me no where near as long to get as lulu's did though. seriously, 200 times? wtf. there were a few spots that would fire off one bolt of lightning then two rapidly right after that...kinda made it go by faster but i still couldn't get that damn weapon for months.

The only thing that took me longer was Wakka's because it never showed up in the tournament prizes.

19. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

yeah i didnt even bother with lulu :rofl: i think i got tidus, wakka and auron cause that was my ultimate party ( i never attempted those uber bosses tho)

20. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

I'm a completionist in RPGs, but everything else no.

21. EcheloN

EcheloN OH NOES!

I try to beat is as fast as possible to see what happens. Taking the time to collect every little thing takes too damn long.

22. FunkyMunniez

:rofl: the "uber bosses" weren't really all the strong. You could get so overpowered in that game with the break damage limit perk that you could kill things like ultima weapon in one hit.

23. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

:werd:

I don't really have the time to play through an RPG twice so I'll leaf through it a bit so I don't miss anything big. I don't read up on boss strategies though and read very loosely so I don't spoil anything.

24. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

I used to use guides for fighting games but now I have intanets.

25. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

I collect some shit on some games but sometimes I just feel like fucking playing through and finding what I find.