SRS I have a problem I can not fix.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Abomb, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Abomb

Abomb New Member

Fucking computer games. Mainly World of Warcraft.

This game is ruining my life. All aspects of my life, I need not elaborate I am sure you can imagine. I am addicted. How do I break this addiction? I want my life back, I dont want to spend eighty billion hours a week leveling up a fictional character :ugh: . I say this now but I know I will be logging into my character any minute now.

Help please :hs:

2. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Format C: I thought you were a pimp abomb, don't you have some girls to get with besides play damn WoW?

3. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Delete and don't renew subscription, it really isn't all that hard. Stopping WoW was one of the better things I did.

4. Abomb

Abomb New Member

I used to :hs:

5. dura

dura Guest

I did it by joining the Army :run: (not solely for that reason, of course.)

6. Abomb

Abomb New Member

It is that hard though. Ill uninstall and do other shit then a few months later I get sucked back in hardcore its getting ridiculous

7. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I'm in the same boat you are, but I'm glad to say as of last week I finally canceled my account and stopped playing the game. The deciding factor for me was that I finally realized that I was spending hours upon hours a week playing a fictional character, with fictional gear and talking to fictional people who only knew me in game. It just clicked one day and I woke up, canceled my account, uninstalled the game, and actually just sold my account this past week and made a couple hundred bucks. I can honestly say that this game is the first real addiction I've ever had in my entire life, and it was damn scary I'm glad I finally made the right decision...good luck.

8. Abomb

Abomb New Member

man I hope you can stick with it. I hope 3 months from now you havent bought a 2nd account

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its important that 'in your mind' you have to realise that wow doesn't contribute jack shit to your life. Only do those things in your life that contribute to building up YOUR life instead of a fictional character. Get your head out of space and come back to reality.

Turning on your computer is just a gateway to playing wow again. Sell your account and don't ever look back.

You don't want to end up as another one of them guys who wastes away half of their lives on computer games, before they realise how stupid,boring and wastefull it is. Only do those things in life that gain you something real and concrete.

10. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

I stopped playing it when I went to college.

I've been a level 33 hunter since January 2005. Havn't touched the game since and I probably never will again :)

If you cannot stop by self control, then just throw away the discs if you want to stop that badly...or give them to someone else.

11. BlaXicaN

BlaXicaN OT Supporter

You know what man; you don't necessarily have to quit wow. All kinds of people with social lives play games, especially wow. Playing games can be a hobby but it needs to be under control. I am assuming you are already level 60. Just stop raiding; log on to PvP for fun every now and then or something. Under NO circumstances should you be cancelling RL plans for WoW. And don't ignore people.

Really, WoW is just as socially adequate as Myspace. But you have to be careful because in relationships, they both kind of shake things up. If you are in a relationship I would strongly advise quitting WoW just from my experiences. I just got out of a 7year relationship. Some of the breakup probably had to do with WoW which makes me feel really bad. I quit the game shortly after because I felt too guilty when I logged on. But then again, I mainly played a lot cause she stayed in Austin... and this was my first MMO game and I didn't know any better. If you are in college or something, I would quit the game as well.

If you have a very hard time stopping or just being more casual with it, do not buy BC. Just play regular version and eventually everyone will pass you up and you will fade away and grow tired of the game.

12. wufei

wufei New Member

im starting up again. people preordered BC and gave me a gamecard for xmas. i dont know whether i should or not.

how i stopped the first time was to get someone to be there with me to watch me delete it and i gave the discs away

13. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

14. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I hate WOW. I've watched it ruin friendships and relationships man. Once you are addicted it's really unbelievable how your friendships, etc. go down the toilet

15. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I stopped playing over the summer...was just burned the hell out and had some awesome classes that I really wanted to work at over the summer. It was great....learned a bunch, picked up the PS2 and discovered many cool games for very cheep. After summer school, got ready for fall semester and I was tearing up the studies for about 2 months......

Then I was bored one night and decided to reactivate my account.

Now I'm hooked again and it almost cost me my grades. I still made straight As but it took every ounce of willpower I had to study.

Now it's 1 day till xmas eve and I haven't even started my shopping because I'm having too much fun playing. At times I think it's bad but most times I'm having a blast.

When I cancelled, one of the hardest things to get over is the feeling that I'm missing something by not being online. However, in time that passes and I found other things to occupy my time. It was a nice break but I'm kinda pissed at myself now....all my friends are in purples and I'm still sporting blues, even have 2 greens left. :eek3: Oh well....I'm owning the BGs and getting my purps quickly!

16. kilamasta

kilamasta New Member

The best solution is to uninstall WoW and then break the DVD in 2.

17. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

My friend had to make himself uninstall the game, throw it away, and then sold his character on Ebay for $500....so it's something to think about. He's had a life ever since.

18. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Raiding is bullshit in the game. Everyone expects you to spend 6 hours to raid something.

19. vtectyper

vtectyper New Member

Uninstall that shit and break the CD theirs no other solution. Don't just put the cd away. You can install it again in no time if you just put it away.

20. Carrots

Carrots New Member

Uninstall all your games, sell the disks or lend them to friends.
    Mark today on the calendar. In a year, you can allow yourself to play real games again, and you won't have the same problems. Untill then, Freecell.

21. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I wasted 6 years of my life playing computer games. I was addicted to Counter-Strike, Diablo 2, and StarCraft.

When I started going to the gym, I stopped playing as much.

After I joined the Marines, I haven't even played once. I would still love to play, but I force myself not to because I know what it will do to my social life if I do. Plus, there is absolutely no point in playing. You gain nothing.

Maybe when I get married, or if I get in a very serious relationship, I might start playing again. But as of right now, no way.

Basically you just have to find some discipline in your body and only play when you have nothing else to do. When you feel like playing, call every friend who you might want to hang out with and try to make plans.

22. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I think it might help to understand why its so alluring for you.

In WoW, you get the feeling of accomplishment and acclaim from your peers. Of course, you want more. And, since its a game, you know how to get more. Simply get better gear, be in a more prestigious guild, etc, etc.

This fulfills a social need we all have. The problem is, its not a true recognition. We only receive that recognition when we're in the game, therefore outside life doesn't feel as rewarding. It's a lot harder to receive that kind of acclaim in outside life.

My recommendation, if you want to quit, is to involve yourself in community activities, whether it be joining a club, a team, or volunteering, it doesn't matter too much. Once you're interacting with people IRL, you wont feel as much of a need to play as you once did.

23. Two toys

Two toys New Member

honestly, quit your guild.

thats what I did... and it was fucking hard. it was the best guild on the server and the only one making progress in Naxx (3 bosses left), so leaving WAS NOT EASY. but i found that it was the social interaction that kept me getting on everyday. the fact that i felt that i couldnt let my guild down. Once i left I played for a few more weeks and then got so fucking bored of not raiding etc that i just left the game. I get on every once in a while but thats when there is absolutely nothing else i could be doing, and only for like a half hour at a time etc.

it feels fucking great, I feel productive now in my relationships as well as work.

edit: also my best friend played so it was really hard to quit initially because we played together all the time. but when i quit i noticed he started playing a lot less too.

24. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

It's true, WoW is 90% social and 10% game. Thats why your RL social life declines so much once you get seriously into WoW.

25. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

it might help to remember that, no matter how much you play or how hard you work at it, you will never finish the game. There is no final victory at WoW.