I have a problem...A computer program is the solution

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zanyspy_dude, Jul 10, 2006.

1. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

I have found an awesome stream of music that i love. It's all TOTALLY indie stuff, so no piracy involved mr. fazle. Anywho, i have a program that can rip streams....problem, it uses tags to tell when it ought to chop out a new mp3 file. This indie station is from the artists, so they arent encoding artist/title names. I need it to look for silence and cut. I know a fair amount of programming, this sounds like a good way to learn more. Problem: i have no idea where to start. I know java (not a good idea for this), c#, web stuff.

So, what language would you suggest for this project? I'm willing to learn a new one. Where is a good place to start learning about streams so i can do this? I would rather reinvent the wheel rather than be given a program that does this alreaday(unless i can look at source code).

CLIFFS: i want to make a program that will take a long mp3 and cut it into smaller mp3's when it finds 2 seconds of silence. How?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

1. 2 seconds of silence is plenty of time for you to hit the Pause button and cut the track yourself. It's tempting to spend 10 times as long writing a program that saves yourself a little bit of tedium, but it's usually not beneficial in the long run.

2. Piracy doesn't mean copying stuff from big companies, it means copying ANYBODY's stuff. Is there a license agreement on the radio station's website saying that you're allowed to record and copy their music?

3. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

yes, because you have to agree to freely distrubute your music when you submit your music to be played.

The problem isn't that i couldn't do it myself, the problem is that i can't sit at my computer for 12 hours and clip the songs like that. PLUS i'm intrested in learning HOW to write a program like this.

Thank you for your imput :big grin:

4. Jaysin

Jaysin New Member

EH, sounds like fun! I would just use like Sound forge and do it myself...
    But like you said... thats alot of work...

5. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

maybe you could make a plugin for audacity to do it, but I'm not sure.