I Have A Huge Problem Please Help!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GOPATRIOTS, Feb 10, 2004.

1. GOPATRIOTS

GOPATRIOTS Guest

Ok last night i tried installing a new memory stick for my PC.I was already running 256mb but bought a 512 stick to upgrade.I shut everything off and install it,Put everything back and test it out and the computer starts up but never goes all the way to windows...So I took the memory stick out and tried another slot.I turned the PC back on and now my monitor doesnt turn on....It says no Signal output.I checked the video card and it seems fine.What could have happenned???SO I borrowed my neighbors computer and thats how im online now.But I have no clue on what happenned.The computer turns on fine and you hear it running but i get no picture...HELP!!

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Did you try putting the old stick back in?

3. GOPATRIOTS

GOPATRIOTS Guest

yes

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

yikes. check all your connections in case something came loose. reseat your video card. if it still doesn't work and you don't find anything loose, pick up and turn the box over a white towel and see if any jumpers fall out. if the connection to the monitor is tight and your mobo cables and jumpers are all in place you may have fried a chip on the mobo.

5. x6ftundx

x6ftundx New Member

Did you ground yourself before putting the memory in? If not you may have shorted the motherboard out. I have seen this done before. It's easy to do if your not careful. No save unless it's under warranty then you can just call them and say it stopped working and just let them fix it.

Also you may have knocked the video card out. Take it complety out and reseat it but make sure you ground yourself before hand for static. How do you do this you ask... just touch the power supply before starting. You don't need a wrist surge thingy they are junk.

Sorry

6. but make sure it's actually PLUGGED IN when you're grounding to the frame/PSU, otherwise you're not grounding at all.

7. GOPATRIOTS

GOPATRIOTS Guest

fixed it i reset the bios And removed the lithium battery for about 3 minutes.Thanks for your help

8. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

If none of the suggestions above help, try reseting the CMOS. It will be on your motherboard and should be 3 pins. It may say CMOS or jumper 1, 2, 3 or 4. The jumper will be in the left and in the middle. Move it to the middle and the right. Leave it like that for a few seconds and then move back to the left and middle pin. Then turn on your computer. It should say CMOS has been reset.

Edit: Co-worker bothered me so now it looks like I typed this out after he reset it. :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  9. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Did you type that out AFTER he said he reset the CMOS and it fixed it? :mamoru:

10. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

:rofl: No, I just started writing it and someone walked up to my desk so I had to stop for a minute. :rofl: Too funny.