WEB I have a great idea for a website, butttttttt (read inside)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by filho do deus, Sep 8, 2009.

1. filho do deus

filho do deus New Member

So I think I have an idea for a site that has the potential to be really big. . . What I want to tell you about the website: There is nothing out there like it, and I think the market is ripe for it.

Several revenue streams including referrals, paid sponsorships by companies (think how GQ features products), and perhaps, but not necessarily, advertisements that will be highly targeted to the sites audience.

I have nearly 0 knowledge about how to develop websites, so I will need a developer. I think a website of this magnitude would cost thousands of dollars, something I don't have. From my understanding the only alternative would be to profit share, cut the developer in on a % of the profit that I believe can/will be earned.

What I bring to the table:
    the vision/idea/direction industry
    connections that will generate revenue/raise brand awareness

What I need done:
    someone to develop the site
    Someone who will be able to fill in the blanks/bounce development ideas off of .

My questions are.
    1) Where can I find an experienced developer interested in, and willing to take the time to listen to my ideas?

2) How can I pitch the idea while still protecting it?. Whats to stop a developer from implementing the idea themselves while cutting me out.

3) What kind of contracts are necessary to ensure a stable business relationship?

4) Whats a fair percentage for the developer to take?

Thanks for your time.

2. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

AE check for ++ShowSquare++

(sorry, but you sound JUST like him)

3. Insert Tokens

Just in case you're not him:

1) OT, or plenty of other forums out there full of developers.. but see point 4 below..
    2) You can make them sign an NDA, but they could still tweak/modify the idea and/or steal it hoping/assuming you won't fight it in court.
    3) Lots. Have EVERYTHING in writing.. from who does what, to who owns what, to who IS what, to who pays who, to who knows who, etc etc. I'm not joking.
    4) Good lucky finding a developer that will do this these days.. most are too scared of getting burned. Most you've got to lose if it goes south is, well, an idea. The developer is the one who has to pour in hours, days, months of hard work, late nights, and actual effort.. that's a lot to ask. If I was going to do something like this, i'd be asking for majority share.

4. ge0

ge0 New Member

haha yeah right, I agree with above poster

5. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

post it on craigslist lol, I see shit posted like this all time looking for partners, claiming the next big thing

6. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

this fuckin guy. :rofl:

Post the idea faggot, I guarantee it's been done, and if not nobody here is going to take it

7. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

...hey, I have this idea, you're going to do all the work and we're going to split the profits!

8. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

:rofl:

doesn't it sound like thoses craigslist ads I send you :rofl:

9. LowClass

LowClass New Member

I want in!

:ugh: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

Ideas are ten-a-penny.

11. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

so what are your responsibilities in this project?

im the visionary :ugh:

12. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

Larry Page: I have an idea for a search engine but i have no money and no programming expertise
    Sergei Brin: Sure, I'll build it and we'll go halves

:ugh:

Just having the idea isn't enough... lots of people have ideas every day. You need to have the money or the expertise to make the business happen. if you want a partner you need to be equals - that means doing an equal amount of the donkey work.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  13. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

if you don't have a couple thousand dollars to build a working prototype to pitch to VCs with, then your connections probably aren't as good as you think

14. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

lol, a cut

i am getting a cut of software i wrote for a guy

but he also paid me for the work i did :h5:

15. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

rentacoder works nicely (sometimes)

16. Tony Stark

those sites suck.

My story:

Coder #1: I was afraid of all those "oh shitty indians are shitty" stories, so I made sure to hire an American. Quote was for 30 days, a year later, he was about 15% done so I fired him.

Coder #2: Said fuck it, and hired the best indian group I could find. Once again quote for 30 days. At least with these, 5 months later they were about 90% done.

So I said fuck that, and started coding another idea on my own while they finish. Sure not from scratch like them, and most of the shit is hardcoded, but at least I can be a lot more committed than them.

17. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I think it all depends, guy I did work for was pretty nice and is giving me 10% of his income from his app :o

It could work if you have no connections or don't know how to do it yourself. But I think long gone are the days of "I'll give you half the money we make!"

If this guy is serious about some idea, you will have to either 1) learn how to do it yourself 2) have real money to pay someone to do it.

Good development isn't cheap, someone who knows what they are doing will bill you $100+/hr and don't think it will be done in 30 hours.

18. Insert Tokens

The 1990s called, they want their .com boom back.

19. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

My advice...

a)learn drupal, do it yourself

20. filho do deus

filho do deus New Member

It seems like most people on this forum are attempting to make money with affiliate marketing, some kind of youtube clone, a proxy service, or the next 2g1c. What websites do you run?
    Besides the idea, I have the industry connections to generate revenue, advertise to our target audience, etc.
    As mentioned above, the partnership stakes would likely not be equal. Besides the idea, I have the industry connections to generate revenue through sponsorships, advertise to our target audience, grow the brand name. Off the top of my head this would include soliciting companies (everything from grassroot to industry leaders) for sponsorships, attending 'conferences' to advertise and promote. I also have the resources to guerrilla market which I think would work exceptionally well.

21. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

http://www.cdixon.org/?p=338

22. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

++ more than you do ++

any statement that ends in etc, is a good done --

you have the resources to guerrilla market, you should use your resources to guerrilla software develop ---

23. Tony Stark

if you are as legit as you say, your "execution" won't be cloned anyways, since your connections are what gets your thing off the ground. Ideas are a dime a dozen, it's the execution that matters.

Resources to guerilla market? WTF does that even mean? A Car? An Internet connection?

24. filho do deus

filho do deus New Member

Though I think websites are different ballgame, this is applicable and I think I will start pming people.
    :o Generator + power washer + some stencils + high volume target market = website name/logo stenciled onto concrete. :dunno:
    I agree with you on the connections. Fortunately the content of my idea and being computer savvy are not synonymous, in fact, in most cases polar opposites.
    This thormor25 guy seems to have his act together. Dudes ok? Anyone else I should contact?

25. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

I am part owner of a web hosting company. We have developed our own clustered, load balanced shared hosting platform that allows users to deploy applications or sites as they normally would in a shared hosting environment, but to have it automatically load balanced and clustered with N+1 and failover in every part of the system. I don't see how it's relevent to be honest.