I have a good guess what Intel chips will be in the new PowerMacs...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

2. Inferno

Inferno New Member

:hsugh:

maybe in 2 years, but I still doubt it.

3. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

No, the reason apple moved to intel was because the ppcg5 chips draw so much power they are un acceptable in portables.

4. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Apple also had no problem creating the quad and PowerMacs are not portables.

6. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Yeah but there is going to be a portable counterpart for it using the intel chips. pccg5s are power hogs, more than p4. And we havent invented a good way to store alot of electricity at once, so battery life is still a concern./

7. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

Apple switched to Intel CPUs for a number of reasons including...

IBM's difficulty hitting higher clock speeds on the G5.

Freescale's inability to deliver a G5 sufficient for use in notebooks.

The fact that both IBM and Freescale are more interested in using the PPC pieces for integrated devices (IBM in game consoles and Freescale in some automobile applications) - continue to support Apple or focus on massive orders from Sony and Microsoft for use in consoles.

The cost burden on Apple being the only computer manufacturer using PPC (by moving to Intel they get access to reference motherboards, chipsets, etc.).

And this is speculation on my part, but I bet Apple is going to use things like Intel's StrongARM parts at some point (possibly for a truly next-gen iPod) or other pieces of Intel's many products. Its fairly well known that Intel will give integrators huge discounts on things like StrongARM processors if they exclusively use Intel CPUs (see Dell).

8. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Yes, but they could do fine with the ppc chip, atleast for now anyways, or upgrade teh technology. A big reason was battery life, like 60% more or something I think with intel chip. Thats ftw if you ask me

9. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

When has there ever been a portable counterpart that used the same exact chipset as the PowerMac? :hsugh: Again, batterylife of a damn notebook will not determine what goes into a PowerMac. If we went with your line of thinking, there never would have been a G5, let alone duals, dual cores and dual dual-cores in a PowerMac because these scenerios never worked in a portable.

10. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Dude, seriously. :rofl: GTFO

11. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

I never said anything about an exact counterpart, but the G4's were used in desktops and portables, but look no G5 portable! Know before you critisize.

When the hell did I say that? Your pulling words from the air

What I was saying is that the next technology is G5 and intel. And for the next gen of portables they would not be using the G5, because 2 hours of battery life isnt good.

12. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Hey genius, you aren't too great at reading. Apple had no problem throwing a ton of different G5 set ups in the powermac all the time no portables got to see use of the G5 at all. This reflects that Apple makes a chip decision on a model by model basis. You said that having 8 cores in a PowerMac would never happen because it would drain the battery if it were in a portable. :hsugh: Like that matters. Like whatever happens in a Macbook would keep Apple from turning the PowerMac into a serious beast, a la 8 cores. Apple will never run the same chipset in a portable the same time (if ever) that it is being run in a PowerMac. So your whole battery drainage schtick preventing an 8 core PowerMac is just hogwash.

Seriously, stop posting.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  13. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Dude, drop the attitude, im just expressing what I know. And I KNOW that 1 of the reasons for the intel is battery life, they could have spent time and money on the g5 chipset to make it more energy efficient but they decided not to.

I wasnt talking about powermac's. They can put whatever the hell they want to put in those for chips. We have 2 different directions for this topic, the main one being "What intel chips will be put in the new powermacs" which I just commented on one of the reasons for apple to change direction is for future support for portables. NOT related directly to what chips are getting into the powermac. The powermac will definately always be a powerhouse, infact theres one in the room behind me that we were dissasembling. Its a G5 and its damn powerful, so depending on the speed of the intel chips, its probably debatable which is better (besides power consumption) because just READ UP ON G5 POWER CONSUMPTION, its high!

14. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

What is the title of this thread?

What is the first post?

And how did you reply to this topic?

Evidently what you know has nothing to do with this thread. Look, I don't care about how fast a computer you are taking apart is, how you have "insider secrets working for apple" or what would happen in an imaginary world of putting G5s into portables. Read the thread title. PowerMacs, not portables. Intel chips, not G5s. I am interested in 8 intel cores in a PowerMac. How hard is that to comprehend?

15. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

I was just saying that... fuck it its like arguing with a wall

16. TNFlyBoy

TNFlyBoy F =/= ma?? wtf??

it's alright, i'm pretty sure the rest of the mac shack got what you were saying,

the power consumption is huge factor for why apple even went to intel chips in the first place, they weren't going to continue to make power hungry powermac g5's forever along side the macbook pros, that doesn't make sense.

also Bol, why shouldn't you be able to get a portable with the same set up as a powermac? i'm sure that question was asked somewhere within apple, and the intel chips may be an answer. if they were to create a quad core that draws less power than a G5, therefore would have a longer battery life than a G5, wouldn't you want it in a laptop?

Back to the original, post:

how about them? they're pretty sweet eh?

learn to pick you battles man, otherwise people might think you look like a jackass.

btw, fyre i'm lovin the av

17. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

1) it's Bo, not Bol
    2) I never said you shouldn't, I said Apple never has and never will. Reading is fundemental.
    3) How much better an Intel chip is then a G5 is pointless right now. All the Macs are going to have Intel chips in them and everyone knows the Intel chips are performing better then the PowerPC Chips, so why would you compare an updated MacIntel to a PowerPC computer that is about to be replaced with the same updated technology? Did anyone say that PPC was better then the Intel chips? No. The question is, what Intel chips are going in what models... The single, core duos are in the PowerBook and iMac. Duh. The single cores will see the rebirth of the iBooks most likely. But what about the PowerMac. History tells us to expect double the processor cores found in the pro laptop. That would make 4 intel cores for the PowerMac. Or, like they did with the quad, 4 times the cores in the pro laptop. Let's count together... 8 cores... hence this thread. The guy you just preached about said it won't happen because if it can't work in a laptop, it won't be in a powermac. :hsugh: Yeah, just like how the G5s never worked in a powerbook, so they were never used in a PowerMac? Oh that's right, they used them anyways. Eventually 4 of them actually.
    4) Look in the mirror and try reading the actual thread before resulting to the childish name calling. :jerkit:

18. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

First of all there was no name calling. He refferred to "looking like a jackass" relax.

The new portable, mbp is shipped with an intel chip because why? Of what I said, thanks. And PPCG5 chips arent bad, infact in some benchmarks they outperform intels. Especially in video encoding and graphics and stuff. Not saying its by alot, but some of them are. The G5's arent outdated at all and they can still hold their weight. But fact is, they will ALL be shipping with intel chips from now. Its just a better platform in general, especially for notebooks. They wont have 2 different types of processors out there as a current chip, its either G5 or intel, and it looks like its intel.

19. fishyhell

fishyhell muscle68>catholic school children

I love scrolling through this thread. IL list has been +1 for a while. Bo i'm on your side about this i think this is a very good guess as to what chip will be in the next PowerMac.