MIL I have a few questions, if someone could take the time to answer it would be great.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RX Bandit, Mar 1, 2006.

1. RX Bandit

RX Bandit Sell You Beautiful »

I've been re-evaluating my options with graduation coming up and this post is proof that I have considered armed forces as a possible future. I've attended top tier universities and made positive impacts on campus, in the community service I've done and on professors that have invited me to their home just to shoot the shit. The point is that I don't want to join and I'm not even considering joining just because I want to shoot muslims.

My options if not going military after graduation are law school, healthcare management, cognitive science (artificial intelligence) PhD programs, behavioral neuroscience PhD programs, history PhD programs or retaking Organic chemistry and trying for medical school. I'm not stupid and I am motivated, also this information is important a few lines later where I cover the "job" I would want in the military.

If I were to join officer ranks for the standard term I'm not sure what branch I would pick, I just know it would not be Marines for sure and it probably wouldn't be Army. As for my "job" if I'm not selected for pilot pretty much the only thing I could see myself doing is either a) medical b) intelligence analysis or c) chaplain. My first question is, do you get to pick your "job" or how does that work? If I don't have an MD for medical, PhD for IA or MDiv for chaplain could I still be stuck into one of those umbrellas? Do they screw people into the completely wrong job? Do they have to sign anything GUARANTEEING you the position you want?

As you can tell I do have a huge interest in being pilot but I have more of an interest in breaking the ranks into SEALs or Delta Force. That might contradict the earlier statement of job selection, but not really. If I get selected into the Delta weedout camp and make it through of course I am going to do it - I am tough and want to do something worthwhile with my life - but I don't want to be an average warm body that is shuffled around like I don't matter. So unless I am going to get a good shot at counterterrorism work I want to do something that will help me later on in life...not to sound like a cock or anything but I think I'm that important. Odds are I would be going Navy or AF because of my father, so probably Navy if I was going to listen to him at all, but is there any way to know instantly whether a certain branch will give you better access to the special weedout camps? Along the same line, can you instantly go into the Rangers training camp the minute you sign the papers at the office or is there some long process of grunt officer work before they even allow you in?

I probably have a million other questions but these are the starting ones below:
    Iif you have a college degree and all that how long is the term you have to sign on paper for?
    Can you pick something like 3 years or is it minimum 5 years etc.?
    If you serve in medical do you carry a weapon?
    Can you serve in medical while being an officer without an MD?
    Will serving in medical be something positive as I apply to medical school after getting out of service?
    If you serve in Intelligence Analysis what are the job prospects like at NSA after your term is up?
    If you serve as chaplain do you carry a weapon?
    If I signed up would I be going to Iraq for sure?

Yes this is a long post, I could probably track down a recruiter but I'm probably the least likely person any recruiter would think of getting to join since I have attended top tier universities and I'm in a fraternity. I would appreciate anyone taking the time to answer some or all of these questions, I am trying to get a feel of this country's military and the people representing it. One of my past professors served in Army medical a long time ago - the only reason I'm not asking him is that he is writing all these letters of recommendation for law school/grad school etc and I don't want to send him mixed signals. Thanks again for reading/answering :)

2. RX Bandit

I never said I won't carry and/or use a gun, I was asking specific questions as to whether medical and chaplain guys are required to walk around armed.

In all honesty I would want to be armed if I was deployed anywhere outside of the 48 contiguous states.

3. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Yeah I heard Alaska and Hawaii is full of dangerous stuff. You definitely need a weapon there.

4. RX Bandit

Last time I was in Hawaii a pineapple looked at me funny. :noes:

5. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

snide remarks aside and having read your post i would suggest that you don't seek out the military.

it is not what you're looking for and it is not the best fit for you.

6. RX Bandit

I appreciate your input but would you mind telling me how you came to that assessment? Just curious. Maybe my post highlighted some character aspect I am blind to for one reason or another. :o

7. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Yes you can be an officer in the medical field without an MD, PA's and nurses are officers. As for the Delta/Seals thing, if you want a chance at the SEAL's join the Navy. The unit that doesn't exist is Army (if it existed :hsugh: ), and only seems to actively recruit from the NCO ranks (theoretically of course) so you would would have to join as enlisted and work your way up.

8. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Obviously if you want to be a SEAL you would go navy and not as an officer most likely.

As far as Delta selection you are going to need some kind of background from Army SF, Ranger, Navy Seal, Airforce SOF or Marine SOF to compete with those around you. You are going to get that experience as an NCO and not an officer. Talking to a operator from Delta who went through part of the Q-Course with me this summer. He said spend 5-6yrs on a team to get the experiencce and knowledge then consider trying out.

Last time I read you had to be an E-4, 21yo, GT 115+, Secret Clearance, etc to attend the Selection briefing.

9. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

they especially recruit for officers though, since they suffer from shortages just like any other unit. I remember seeing a memo encouraging officers from the rank of major and above to come check out a brief for SOFD(D)i believe :noes:
    but yea, im sure its easier as an enlisted
    as for the Army, you can go to any branch and try to get Ranger School, but you've already stated you DONT want to go to the army, so then piss off on that
    I think your honestly barking up the wrong tree here. You want all the elite jobs, but your not willing to go into the branches like Infantry that will lead you there. Your best bet would be the Navy, cause if you weed out, then you just go back to doing whatever REMF crap the navy would have you doing in the first place. You just better be in peak shape before you even get in

10. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Ah alright. I can't speak for Delta but for the most part in SF the officers fill a different role. Thats what I was trying to get at. A Captain will spend 1.5-2yrs on an ODA before he typically moves on into more staff positions. Its the NCO's who get to do the most trigger pulling.

11. RX Bandit

Thanks RRTX, gtcrispy and Inforpics. Keep it coming. :wavey:

My degrees are History (specialized American Revolution and American Civil War) and Neuroscience.

12. shiba

shiba Active Member

If you are considering, medical or law school, I would suggest that you get in first. The military will grant you a full (I think) scholarship to any school you get into, pay you as a Lieutenant, and you would not see any military time during those 4 or more years. However, you would have to sign a contract and owe the standard 4 or 8 years. You would get a direct commission as a captain after you go to a Leadership course.

You can get into any school you immediately after you sign on but the requirements are that there has to be a certain need or slot in the unit you’re going to, you have to enlist, and it has to be in your contract. However, I can almost guarantee that you will be weeded out immediately unless you’re use to the extreme stress you will face. It dosen’t matter if you think you’re good enough for them, It’s the instructors decision in the end.

The job picking process is different for enlisted personnel and officers. Enlisted people can get a very specific job title, and officers would have to pick a branch they want to get into.

In answer to your questions

if you have a college degree and all that how long is the term you have to sign on paper for?

Standard 4 – 8 years. But as an officer, you have to submit a letter of resignation which they could reject.

Can you pick something like 3 years or is it minimum 5 years etc.?

Only after you’re in and want to reenlist

If you serve in medical do you carry a weapon?

No, Medical personnel are non-combatants

Can you serve in medical while being an officer without an MD?

Yes, But extremely hard to find a slot for.

Will serving in medical be something positive as I apply to medical school after getting out of service?

Maybe. You would be able to network with a lot of doctors from all over the country as well as have some sort of medical background. Kind of like being an intern

If you serve in Intelligence Analysis what are the job prospects like at NSA after your term is up?

If you serve as chaplain do you carry a weapon?

No, Non-combatants

If I signed up would I be going to Iraq for sure?

Definitely Not, It depends on the need of your job over at theatre.

Also, recruiters recruit anyone and everyone under 50. No you are not special. You better get rid of that mentality before you even think about joining.

13. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

corpsman in the navy sometimes stand armed watches...by the way...

14. RX Bandit

Thanks shiba and Inforpics.

It might not come off in my posts but I do have a very good sense of teamwork - Habitat for Humanity, IM football, IM basketball...fraternity stuff. Teambuilding is important for me, all the organizations and clubs I run I make sure everything is as cohesive as possible.

A further question on the law school track, say I received an acceptance to my first choice dual MBA/JD program but no scholarship money, so I find a recruiter to talk to - how much time is it going to take to get something set up for say the AF to work through all the paperwork so I could start the program in August of that year? What exactly would the process look like? Do I show them the accpetance to Yeshiva and then they fork over the money directly, while I do basic during the summer I guess - then after the 4 year program I come in as captain and serve my term out? What would the AF have me doing for my work for the term with a law degree and MBA? Do they have a cap on how much money they pay for my education? Yeshiva is like 45k a year. What armed forces/basic/any kind of training would be required at any time during my law school? Could they activate me at the drop of a hat to go to Iraq or something?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd never thought about the armed services actually paying for graduate school - since that is far preferable to going far over 100k in debt before I even turn 23 years old... :dunno:

15. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

quickie for this one because i've looked into the marine/navy jag corps extensively.

basically you are applying for a scholarship whereby there are a few qualifications:

1. you need to be absolutely guaranteed into a law program foremost in the US/puerto rico. no deferred, wait listed blah blah. you need an actual letter saying so so you are hereby accepted. show that to the recruiter.

2. you will then get money for tuition, books, board, and a living stipend for the duration of your time in school.

3. in exchange for the money you will be going enterted into active duty (4 years).

4. you will undergo various schooling, particularly OCS, TBS, and the naval law program.

would it be a good trade off? your first year you will be allowed to prosecute and get actual court time, you will have all 4 years packed full of experience that looks very favorable upon you leaving the military. at the same time you are a military man foremost and your job (law) second.

16. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

17. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

yea im sure its the same shit in Delta, but they do have officers