SRS I have a drinking problem

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Master Splinter, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Master Splinter

Master Splinter OT Supporter

Well it finally hit me tonight, I've definitely been in denial about it for a while now but my 22nd birthday was last week and I went a little overboard with the drinking, didn't hurt myself or anyone else but my friends were good enough to host a party for me anyway I damaged some property (which I'm already set to pay for). But I am just beyond embarrassed about my behavior.

I still just can't believe it though and don't know who I can talk to about this, I guess AA would be a logical place to start but I don't know I just don't feel like AA is for me, so for the time being just venting about it here sounds like a good start.

I just feel lost right now though, I feel sick to my stomach because I now see what others have been telling me for a while which is that I drink too much, I might need help. I now realize that I do.

I don't necessarily want to quit drinking but I need to get this problem under control and I'm not sure if that's even possible, for all I know I'll always be this way. My problem isn't so much wanting to drink all the time but when I do drink I just go way overboard, I've drank myself to blacking out multiple times, last year I even missed two months of work after falling down stairs and breaking my ankle.

Anyone who has gone through this before what am I looking at? Will I need to give up alcohol for good or is it possible through help to just get a problem like this under control to where I'll be able to go to a party and drink at a moderate pace instead of singlehandedly trying to drain a keg as quick as possible.

I enjoy drinking, I like the feeling of having a buzz but I can't stop myself once I get to that point I just keep going and going and then wake up the next day with no recollection of what happened for periods of time.

2. Nhubie

Nhubie OT Supporter

Next time when you go out, drink one or two drink only. Pace yourself, don't take shots. Beer/mix drink=30 minutes. If you get done early get a water. The only problem is if your friends are heavy drinker they might give you shit, but it does not sound like they are.

3. evil_lbt

evil_lbt New Member

4. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

why dont you think AA is a place for you? Have you ever been to a meeting or talked to someone who goes?

5. evil_lbt

evil_lbt New Member

sorry i didn't finish reading your entire post

just give AA a try, it will only benefit you, not hurt you

6. mikeyo1

mikeyo1 I'm gonna get my Eagle on, meet me at the star

I'm exactly where you are right now. I've admitted the problem and now trying to deal. Similar to you, I don't want to have to give up the occasional glass of wine with dinner or beer at a ball game, but I have realized that like you, once I got the buzz....I'll just keep going until I wake up the next morning with no idea of how I got home (or what I did).

I don't quite know how to deal with this either. At this point, I am just taking it one day at a time and not drinking at all. Hopefully, down the road, I'll feel comfortable having A glass of wine or A beer, but for now, I'd rather not take the change that the one drink will turn into 20.

I wish you all the luck. Going to a bar with friends and ordering a water is tough, but waking up bruised up and not knowing why is a hell of a lot tougher.

7. Master Splinter

Master Splinter OT Supporter

Honestly it's likely a good place, just that I guess going to a meeting is taking the admission one step further, need to do it though.

Yeah I don't think my friends would give me shit about it, I definitely need to cut back so I think they'd understand, I'm just worried I'll get out start having a good time and say fuck it 1 or 2, I'm getting drunk.

There are a couple near but they're about an hour away, busy work schedule this week so shouldn't have time to drink much anyway so I'll have to check into it when I get a few days off.

Yeah I don't know why I feel like I feel about going to an AA meeting, like I said earlier guess that's just the last major step to admitting my problem.

That is EXACTLY where I am, I definitely still want to drink but once I get started some nights I just don't feel like drinking and I can stop easily, but the majority of the time once I get going there's no stopping me, I drink to hit a nice buzz but once I do I don't stop. I can't count how many times I've just blacked out with no recollection of what happened that night, how I got home, etc.

Good luck to you as well, it definitely isn't going to be easy. I think I'm just going to try and quit drinking for a while, just avoid going out with friends, then after I've stopped for a while try and go out and have just a couple drinks.

8. evil_lbt

evil_lbt New Member

Think about the potential consequences that can happen to you when you get drunk.

You need to be self-conscious of your actions

Another thing you should consider is to ask your family or g/f to support you on this.

Support is the most important thing on the road to recovery.

Good luck.

9. i killed tupac

why not go to a meeting? No one will bother you, its not like they lock the doors ya know? AA has done just fine without you this far-if you want to leave, no one will stop you

10. mestizo

mestizo New Member

I'd suggest going to a meeting - I went to a few when I got to a real low point in my life a few years back. I think its a big step mentally to go. People there aren't going to judge you - I was so scared I didn't say one word to anyone, just sat in a corner, sucked down cigarettes, and listened for a few nights.

I never went back to a meeting after my first few, and I didn't stop drinking, not because I didn't find the experience or ideals valuable. Even though I didn't give up drinking, going to a few meetings was a real gut check emotionally. Sometimes it helps to take a step outside your own life, even if just for a few minutes, and look at yourself. The experience and stories I heard definitely helped me on the way to changing my attitude and growing up a bit.

11. mikeyo1

mikeyo1 I'm gonna get my Eagle on, meet me at the star

Just wanted to give you a personal update since we are kind of struggling with the same thing. I wanted to go out tonight and watch some of the game with a friend. He bought me a Bud Light and I took small sips for nearly two hours. I just went through the night slowly nursing that one beer. I still had fun, still enjoyed the night, and was able to keep it at one - with no desire to have another when I finally finished the one. I'm pretty satisfied with this, and really did keep the AA "One day at a time" mantra in my mind. I just kept telling myself that I could have ONE and only ONE and was able to keep it together. Hopefully, this will continue. Good Luck...

12. i killed tupac

if you're an alcoholic, you're days are numbered

13. Original

Original OT Supporter

this is huge.. friends will drag you down. "ill just have 1 more" is what you'll say every 15 minutes.. just run it through your head and tell yourself "i don't need it"

14. i killed tupac

these control methods dont work for alcoholics tho

15. CRXican

CRXican God Loves Ugly

how do you know you've gotten that far

self control just doesn't disappear one day and you're an official alcoholic

I still have trouble with this. There's no diagnosis.

16. roserob

roserob New Member

worst advice ever.

you have a drinking problem, and you have admitted it. what makes AA any different? there are steps you have to take to stop drinking..aa will help you..

i guarantee there are meetings closer than an hour away..i can help you find em if you need to..just go, dont take the first drink, find a sponsor, and watch yourself grow...things will work out

17. Invincible

Invincible OT Supporter

You just got to learn when to "stop".... Looks like you haven't got too far and realize you have a problem.

It's not just alcohol, but when you open a bag of chips... you said you're gonna eat a little, but pretty soon half the bag is gone..

18. i killed tupac

only you can decide that for yourself

19. camrytt

camrytt Sexual Deviant

if i click on aa.org and it makes me cry a sign that i need help? ugh/rofl.

20. camrytt

camrytt Sexual Deviant

I looked up places near me that have AA meetings at least, so thanks for that. I've messed up so many things. I know I can go to this meeting....... i just don't know if i will. ahg

21. i killed tupac

you don't have to be willing, just go. part of me was scared to go to my first meeting because i was afraid i would find answers, and then, ignorance couldn't be an excuse to use anymore.

22. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

i woke up in intensive care after a night of fun. rather than look for meetings i took up triathlon.

just find a new hobby. it worked for me.

23. esrever

esrever New Member

So very true. I fall for the one will be okay every couple of months.
    Meetings aren't for everyone, I've tried and it just wasn't my cup of tea. But you need a support group of some kind to help you through.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008