A&P i have a coupla q's about sharing pics via internet...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Boudreaux, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

i have been sharing pics over the internet, and i have noticed a drastic fall in quality when i post on pages such as OT...i have a powershot a70, and am using the software that came with it to crop, and resize...but when i upload, quality goes to shit...is it the programs?? i would like to post pics that look as good as they do when i first upload them to the computer...any help is grealty appreciated...

2. dragon1976

dragon1976 Guest

IF you are dealing with jpg's. Each time you resave them, they get compressed again and lose another level of quality. Maybe that has something to do with it.

So, if you are cropping, its a good idea to do it right the first time and save it once. Instead of doing it a few times and resaving it many times.

3. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

well, when i upload them using the software provided, it saves them to disk, then you must open that file to resize it... im only saving 2 times...at most...( for pic quality, check out the post i made about pics a few below this thread)

4. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

what hosting site are you using?

5. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

what program are you using to resize it? many programs' "save to web" cuts the jpg quality to medium to save on size.... what size (mb) is the jpg file when it's uploaded vs the image size?

6. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

'photoimpression 4' is the default program...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

fudge, those didnt even work...anyway, the programs that came with the cam are zoombrowser EX, and photoimpression 4, anybody know the best way of d/ling them from the camera, if cropping is needed do so, adn then upload to the net w/o loosing to much clarity?

8. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

sorry to tell you but uploading (at least via FTP) does not reduce quality... if you upload it via http to some site... they may only allow a certain KB file... or a certain pixel dimension... and when the images are reduced via a script, then the quality does screw it up... so check that out.

If you are saving the images as jpeg DO NOT compress the image... buy a new hard drive if you care about quality... but always way always keep the RAW file if the A70 has them...

Never mess with the originals... alwyas save a copy so you can go back to the original... though this does get you slightly off your question... it is just some good practices to live by.

9. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

teh RAW file is the original?

10. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

Eh RAW is a format that some cameras do I dont know if the A70 does...

But if you get the pictures from your camera and they are JPEG just save the jpegs somwhere...a nd then save any alterations you do somwhere else so you dont lose the original.