I have 5-7k to spend. Design me a Home Theater System

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tills, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

I have no existing equipment that I intend to use.

Requirements

Front Projection
    HDTV
    DVD/CD Carousel that holds 100+ discs.
    5.1 Surround sound
    Ability to attach it to my home network so I can play movies, surf the net etc from my PC.

I have a cathedral ceiling in that room so I can mount the projector on a shelf attached to the vertical wall so it is "out of sight". I would have the projector screen between the windows. I think I can do a 70in diagonal screen, but that may be too big.

I need some suggestions on how to deal with the skylights. I was talking to a contractor who told me of a product that would tint your windows using a dimmer switch so you could vary how dark to make the tint. I can't find anything on it.

[​IMG]

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hmmm, id say a christie projector, not sure how much that will run considering im not very intellegable on that front.

2 Paradigm Monitor 11s 999
    1 Paradigm CC-570 Center Channel 800
    1 Yamaha RX-V1600 Receiver 1100
    2 Paradigm ADP-370 730
    1 16-46 PC-Plus SVS Subwoofer 875
    1 Sanyo PLV-Z4 Projector 2100
    1 Sony DVP-CX995V 305

Hmm, well I went a bit over budget, It all depends on what kind of projector I guess, that Sanyo was a top rated lower end projector at a site I went to, but Im pretty sure you can get off for cheaper. I suggest with the size of your room getting some speakers that offer a lot of heavy duty output to fill your room and a powerful subwoofer, either a SVS or Velodyne. I went with paradigm as speakers cuz thats what im familiar with and they get good reviews across the board.

Not sure where to find a high quality DVD carousel, although Im pretty sure Pioneer makes one I cannot verify its build quality.

You should also be able to get away by saving a few hundred dollars by going to Yamaha or Onkyo instead of that Marantz.

That tinting mechanism you described sounds expensive, perhaps automated shutters/blinds would be better.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2005
  3. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

Thanks for the info Ronin. The room is roughly 20x20. I bought a home theater mag today and am reading on the net as well, but i just wanted to get a starting point and avoid buying crap. I read some really good things about the Onkyo's too.

I realize that the projector is going to be the biggest item to hit the budget, so if I need to go with less expensive speakers in the beginning and upgrade later on I will.

The automated shutters are 400-800 per window and ugly as shit. I think that will be the biggest hurdle.

Thanks Again :)

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Hmm, the upgrade later idea works, if it was me I would go high end 2-channel, nice high end floordstanders with a good quality high output receiver and a nice beastly subwoofer(ie onkyo reciever, paradigm studio 60s or 100s, and a SVS PCultra). Then when budget permits buy center channel and rears. (and sides if you wish)

Up to you.

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I would do that, but I like Yamaha and Denon alot, and would probally get one over an Onkyo. Studio 100's and a nice Paradigm sub to match them, and then get the rest later.

6. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

ftw... a great two channel setup is a fine place to start.

7. CARETAKER

CARETAKER KANEDAAAA!!! OT Supporter

I would definitely recommend a really good two channel setup first..

70inches? That's it for your FP? I'm running 92"diagonal 16:9 HDTV, and it's great. I don't think I could go any smaller (of course, depends on your room setup). Anyhoo, for front projection, it's either DLP or LCD.. Or CRT, but those are a 'bit' larger than the aforementioned. I demoed an Infocus 7205, pretty nice.. More FP reviews over at www.projectorcentral.com. I'd read the reviews and see what's important for you. For me it was 3 chip DLP and 1280x720 minimum res.

Ronin's much more meticulous in describing other parts, so listen to him. ;) My experience lies primarily in high end two channel setups.

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Yeah he basically needs to find a projector he likes and a screen and to get his skylights figured out.

THEN

he needs to post his remaining budget for us to solve out

9. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

Here goes:

$1,100 Outlaw 990 Pre/Pro
    $2,500 5 BlueSky Sat 6.5 speakers w/built-in amps
    $1,000 2 Outlaw LFM-1 subs
    $1,500 Sanyo PLV-Z3
    $350 Sony DVP-CX985V 400 disc DVD changer
    $200 Speaker stands + mounts
    $200 Blue Jeans Cables
    $100 Monster Power Conditioner
    $100 DIY screen

http://www.projectorcentral.com
    http://www.visualapex.com
    http://www.outlawaudio.com
    http://www.abluesky.com
    http://www.bluejeanscable.com
    http://www.avsforum.com
    http://www.bayviewproaudio.com

This would be an excellent system for the money. I use the Bluesky's and they are awesome. They are actually a professional studio monitor, but they work really well in consumer applications.

I almost always recommend using 2 subs as long as you can place them symetrically in the room, otherwise they can be difficult to set up correctly.

70" screen is definitely on the small side, too bad you can't go bigger.

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

tried to reconfigure a bit:

2 Paradigm Monitor 11s 999
    1 Paradigm CC-570 Center Channel 800
    1 Yamaha RX-V1600 Receiver 1100 (available november 05)
    2 Paradigm ADP-370 730
    1 16-46 PC-Plus SVS Subwoofer 875
    1 Sanyo PLV-Z4 Projector 2100
    1 Sony DVP-CX995V 305

total:

I still dont suggest starting out with a full system but rather going better early and matching up after that.

11. cacique78

cacique78 Member

Well if you want to take care of all the audio in one pop you can go with one of the Bose lifestyle home theaters. While the top of the line 48 is $4000, a 28 can be had for $2300 and you still get kickass sound. I have a 38 myself (which is the 28 with the ability to store music cds into a internal hard drive) and they all have 5.1 sound (both dolby and dts) and they taylor themselves to the acoustics of your room. That would take care of your audio (except for the dvd changer) and would free up your time to concentrate on the visual side of your home theater. Pluss you will not be dissapointed with the way it sounds.

12. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Stay the fuck away from BOSE

there are a TON of better options epecially at that price.

13. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Bose is so overpriced its not even funny, its all marketing, thats what bose is driven by, marketing and doing things just a little bit differently

not to mention u can get receivers that adjust themselves to your room.

there are many different and better choices than bose

14. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

I remeasured and moved the screen slightly and have come out with a max of 104in diagonal (96in for 16:9) as seen in red. The blue is the distance is to the floor below the screen. I will be sitting 13-14 feet away from the wall.

I have 2 questions about where I was going to put it.

1. Is the screen too low?
    2. I am figuring on mounting the projector on the back wall which is 19 feet away at a height of 109 inches (just over 9 ft). Can the keystone correction handle this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  15. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

A 19ft throw distance is going to be a problem for many projectors because the image will be too big. The Panasonic PT-AE700 or 900 would work at that distance, though. Go to http://www.projectorcentral.com/ and use the projection calculator to figure out what will work and what won't.

Having the projector mounted 9ft high might be a problem, too. You want to avoid using keystone correction as much as possible because it eats up resolution.

I'd recommend using a 16:9 screen rather than a 4:3, it will be better for movies and HD.

16. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I can't believe someone seriously recommended BOSE :ugh:

Ronin knows home audio pretty well, another vote to take his advice.

16:9 ftw!

17. Ronin

Ronin Guest

and i'm only 17 yo :cool:

18. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

I will be doing the 16:9 screen. So closer to the screen would be better in this case?

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i think of a projector and its distance this way

u have a flashlight (a focusable one) and u stand really close to a wall and turn it on, the beam is full bright and pretty good looking. you start walking back the beam starts spreading u need to keep refocusing to keep it solid after awhile it begins to distort and fade.

it may not be the exact same for a projector, but basically u got a big fucking flashlight (a very high end one)

light will still act the same. It loses power and clarity over distance.

20. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

rgr that. What is the a "normal/best pratice" distance for a projector to be then for a 94in screen? I understand that different projectors have different specs, I am just looking for a number so I can get a general idea of where it needs to be placed so I can see what my room will handle.

21. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

The projector's manual will tell you distances for desired screen size. Most can be downloaded in PDF format.

22. Ronin

Ronin Guest

does tills have any updates on his set up :dunno:

23. Soulfire

Soulfire No Pain, No Gain

Just a quick "about me" before you read. I work for an extremly high end Home Theater store in bay area owned by my step father. He has been doing high end audio and home theater for over 20 years and I know a shit load myself. We sell Paradigm, Marantz, NAD, Thiel, Aerial, Krell, Martin Logan, Runco, Sunfire, and more.

- Monitor 11s are the way to go on the front. Best floorstanding speakers for a grand.
    - CC-370 is the center channel to match at $379 (retail) - CC-570 as Ronin said is designed to go match with their refrance line and is $970. Much overkill for this system.
    - ADP-370s for sure as long as you have access to the side walls from where you are sitting.
    - Subs are complicated. I would suggest a Paradigm PW-2200 (1000), or a Sunfire Super Junior (1000)
    - I would suggest a Marantz SR7500 over a Yamaha. Yamaha just isnt as good for the same price.
    - Projector: Runco CL-410. There are so many out there but trust me when I say, Runco is one of the best, if not the best. (They are backed by George Lucas, and the director of the Incredibles for starters. But I wont go into details)
    - Screen: Da-Lite works good.

Obviously nobody knows me but you have to trust me. I do this shit ever day at work and I know what im talking about. (Design systems for people that is)

Good Luck.

24. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I generally recommend yamaha for a couple reasons, for 1 its easy to find especially online and with that you can generally find pretty thick discounts for yamaha receivers especially with a utility such as pricegrabber.com. If the guy doesnt have a full audio shop offering good discounts on something such as Marantz, Yamaha is the easiest alternative.

25. Soulfire

Soulfire No Pain, No Gain

Very true. I dont doubt you couldn't get a good discount. In my industry I just want to warn customers to be careful who they buy from online. When a reciever goes bad a customer can bring into our store and drop it on the table. He can come back in 2 weeks and he will have a new one or it would be repaired depending on the situation. I just dont like buying big things online, unless its a huge retailer that has no problem with returns.