I have 2 dongles - What can I do with them?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ty Webb, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

Curious as to what I can do with these things? They are each a USB dongle/key meant for an Ikon printer Fiery Command Workstation program. They are not in use and I am curious what can be done with them as far as reprogramming, etc.

Any ideas?

2. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

I would look into the resale value, they might be worth some cash if that program is expensive.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Dongles you say? Not much use for them unless they're something like HASP keys where you could write a program to work with the one you have using HASP's SDK. Other then that, the dongle itself can't be reprogrammed.

[​IMG]

4. Ty Webb

They are green and look exactly like the little blue ones you posted. They also say HASP

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

You can write your own software programs that would require the dongles to run but that's about it. Should also note that they claim to offer Linux support but it doesn't work. They keep saying they're working on making changes so they actually protect Linux programs but it's been a year now and we haven't seen any progress.

http://www.aladdin.com/hasp/default.aspx

6. Ty Webb

That kind of cool though. haha

Could I do something like protect my computer from logging into an account without one?

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Checkout Rohos Logon Key. I've been meaning to see if it works with dongles. It allows you to use a USB drive to lock and unlock your machine.

http://www.rohos.com/products/rohos-logon-key-for-mac/

Edit: Seems they don't support HASP right now but I did message them to see if it's something they may support in the future. It'd be nice.

8. Ty Webb

How much are these worth if I try to sell? They have a key on them for Ikon Fiery Command Workstations