I have 12 years of Unix experience, and I must say...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Natas, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Natas

Natas O&A Party Rock

That Fedora Core 4 is by the far one of the best operating systems I have EVERY used. Installed it tonight over an installation of Red Hat 9 on my primary machine and I couldn't be more happier.

Any other happy users?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Ubuntu here. Never had any reason to try FC.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

although not very pretty installing, I still like gentoo over all the linux distros.

4. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Never tried Gentoo, but Ubuntu is pretty great. And I'm using FC3 on my server, FC1 on my laptop, and haven't tried FC4. But Fedora overall runs like a dream. It's more seamless and intuitive than windows, and other than games, there's about nothing I can do in Windows that I can't do under Fedora.

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

All I can say is that you've never used Gentoo linux in your 12 years of Unix experience.

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

12 years experience? What other flavors have you used/comparing to. Fedora is great for home, but it ends there.

7. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Unix does not equal Linux.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Or maybe... he prefers Redhat. OMG! Brand loyalty = Religion for the new Millenium.

Redhat 9 to FC4 is a very, very big upgrade. Like about 4 versions up, yes? Yeah, its nice ain't it?

9. Joe_Cool

I know the question wasn't for me, but I've worked on AIX, Solaris, BSD, and Slackware, in addition to what I've already said. And I still like Fedora. :dunno:

10. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Okay then, what did those boxes do? How big were they? Load?

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Justify the statement that Fedora Core is for the home only. That is preposterous. Linux sucks for the desktop, period. It excels in the enterprise, and the distributions are not THAT different. Its the same kernel, the same utilities, just a different presentation and means of bundling, with a few pretty cusom utilities sometimes.

or wait, is this where you say, "I've run more boxes with more load and more users and MY favorite *NIX is Solaris, so THERE." :rofl:

I like Fedora Core. I use it because I grew up with Redhat, and therefore I can get the most shit done in the least amount of time using it. Started playing with slackware in 1994. Then settled on redhat. Tried Mandrake for a while in 98. Came back for Fedora Core and I like it. Have you ever BUILT your own distribution, mr super root? If you have, then you'd know that a distribution is not a big deal. Its just presentation.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

BSD is total shit. Its a toy. Its not fit for use by anyone without a massive beard.

Because... I can't find any of the files. System V forever! :rofl:

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If Linux is not a System V *nix derivative... then what is it?

14. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

It is a derivative, it's just not quite the same though the kernel design tends to be different

15. Joe_Cool

True, but from the user's perspective, they're the same animal. There's only a difference if you're coding.

16. Joe_Cool

:rofl: :rofl:

17. Joe_Cool

webservers, db servers, and firewalls.
    They were big enough that they got the job done, and I'm sure they were never loaded down like your boxes are. :rolleyes:

Linux is just as big and bad as any commercial Unix, and arguably better, because the development team is far bigger and more diverse than any commercial enterprise could put together.

18. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Linux is great guys don't get me wrong but it's not UNIX like AIX, HPUX, Solaris, etc... any Unix or Linux system admin should know this.

Linux is not as big and bad as any other commericial Unix, the fact of the matter is with all the different distrubutions many UNIX softwares don't even offer support unless it's the mainstream like Redhat or something.

19. Joe_Cool

In what way?

20. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Support is not as wide spread for software products. With the few dozen different distro's out there it's just a mess for having software that works with each specific one. Granted some are the fundamentally the same and some software will with on multiple distro's.

You just can't compare it to a product like AIX, HPUX, or Solaris. These guys have enterprise level support far beyond what is perceived at a Linux community support level.

I could rant about clustering, support for disk arrays, SAN's, blah blah blah but while Linux is great it's not widely used in the enterprise.

21. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Can I just install FC4 on top of RH9? My RH9 samba server still does it's job, but X is down, so I have no GUI desktop. Haven't had time to play with it, but if I can install FC4 without fucking up my samba config, that'd be awesome.

22. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Can you download for me some HBA drivers for fedora core? You can pick any HBA brand you want. Yes, I agree linux sucks as a desktop, but Fedora is the best of the best for Linux desktops. It's so easy, it's retarded, which doesn't mean it's the best. It most certainly doesn't excel in enterprise, lack of drivers support, hardware support. Can fedora see eva storage? vraid? 3par? emc? Or 9x80 tape drives? LTO? Does is support ficon? What are the maximum number of luns it can support? Can I put Oracle on fedora? Versant? Networker? NetBackup? Tivoli? Again, Fedora is great for home, nothing more.

"or wait, is this where you say, "I've run more boxes with more load and more users and MY favorite *NIX is Solaris, so THERE." :rofl:" <<< What the hell is your problem? Where did that come from? I do not have a favorite flavor of *nix. Just wanted to see what apples the original poster compared the other apples with.

23. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

What db? How big? No need to roll your eyes at me. I just asked a question about your experiece. Sorry if I offended you.

"Linux is just as big and bad as any commercial Unix, and arguably better, because the development team is far bigger and more diverse than any commercial enterprise could put together." That's a bold statement without any backup.

Linux is definitely growing, but most certainly is not better than any commercial UNIX. Their 64-bit kernel doesn't have anywhere near the performance of Tru64, but I digress. Alpha architecture is ions beyond anything out there and it's sad to see it go away. They are catching up trying to surpass the commercial UNIX, which may or may not come.

The development team is quite small compared to other "commercial teams". I've visited our TAMs in NC many times. Nice fancy place, but still small. Sun is big. HP is big. IBM although are inbred retards, are also big.

24. Joe_Cool

Surely you know that all of this stuff is distribution independent, right? Drivers and hardware support depend on the kernel, and all linux distributions use the same kernel. The differences between one distribution and another are nothing more than what packages are included, and sometimes differences in directory structure. Any application that will run on one linux will run on another, as long as the proper libraries are present.

You can't say Fedora is better or worse than Debian or Slackware or Ubuntu for hardware support, because you can install the same hardware support on any linux distro. Unless you mean strictly out-of-the-box.

I'd expect you of all people to understand that.

25. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Bingo.