I have $1000 bucks for a system for my parents...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ices, Dec 28, 2005.

1. ices

ices New Member

I just sold my car and I'm going to buy my parents a system. My limit is $1,000 bucks. It's going on a 50" we just got. What brands are good? Should I piece it together myself or should I just buy the whole system at like, Bestbuy?

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

at 1k piece it together yourself

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2192175

go down to where it says

On A Tight Budget?

its in big text

there you will see a receiver with floorstanding speakers, use pricegrabber.com to piece together a decent JBL system, the output you will be getting will pizown any HTIB

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2005
  3. shaiboy

shaiboy New Member

dual brand

4. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

I think this would work out fine...

Polk Audio Monitor 50 BK fronts $320
    Polk Audio CS1 center channel $144
    Polk Audio PSW10 sub $160
    Polk Audio Monitor 30 rears $160
    Denon AVR-1604 receiver $230

TOTAL: $1014 + shipping. You could downgrade the fronts and go with a better sub/center channel if you wanted if that is more important to you. The sub there is good but it's only 50watts... won't seem like it but they offer a 12" 100watt version for like 250 roughly... and a lower class of polk fronts would be the R series which would cost you like $180/pr instead of 320

5. pharcyde183

6. pharcyde183

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i forgot about polk

8. ices

ices New Member

Thanks a lot for the info. How does the Northridge series compare to the Polk Audio Monitor 50 BK fronts? We already have a center channel and sub carried from our older system. I don't really have to worry about replacing them now because they're still relatively new. I'd rather distribute the money to a nicer receiver, fronts, and rears. We need smaller satellite rears, kind of like the bose satellites. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

9. pharcyde183

I really like those fronts no point in spending more. They really impressed me for the money.

10. pharcyde183

well lately i've been really impressed with the polk stuff... it depends on what center channel and sub you already have so i don't know how well this stuff will blend with it. Just choose whatever better receiver you want... i would stick with those speakers,

11. ices

ices New Member

I have a JBL pb-10 subwoofer and cerwin-vega ls-6c center channel speaker from the old system I bought my dad maybe 5 years ago. Do you think these are sufficient to carry into the next system? I lived in a mid-sized single family house and have a mid-sized family room.

I've been reading online, and many people seem to think that the Polk Monitor's have very strong mid-range but start getting sloppy in the low and high end. Since I am not sure how capable the old components are, I think I may stick with the E80's.

For the rear's, I think I may stick with the JBL E10's because they seem to be very popular, and they are quite a bit cheaper than the Polk's.

For the amplifier, I am going to get the Yamaha. It also seems to review very well, it is relatively cheap, and it handles up to 5.1 (I don't need any larger).

However, for the rears, how do you guys set them up? I don't want cables running around everywhere, and the E10's will have to be mounted to the wall because of the way my living room is set up.

Lastly, how much should I spend on cables? Is there any brand/type suggested? Do they really matter for a lower priced system such as mine?

I think I'm going to try to wrap this up and purchase the system right after New Year's. Thanks a lot for any replies!

12. ices

ices New Member

The JBL is also a bit cheaper than the Polks.

Also trying to decide between the Denon AVR-1604 and the Yamaha HTR-5830. Pros and Cons of each? I only need 5.1.

So many choices

13. pharcyde183

yeah it's tough i have a very cheap system for myself, all cost me like $385 for entire system.

JBL will be great.. i run harman group products. Just really like those polks in person, reagardless what the reviews say

Infinity fronts
    Infinity center
    Harman Kardon rears
    JBL northridge sub
    Panasonic cheap but effective 5.1 receiver

you won't be dissapointed running JBL speakers