GUN I hate waiting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Nov 9, 2007.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I've got some parts from wilson combat currently in route, they went "out for delivery" at 4:01 AM. I just want to put my 1911 back together soon.

2. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

did you break the originals or is it an upgrade.

this thread is not exactly ripe with details.

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

its an upgrade, mainspring, sear spring, hammer, trigger, sear disconnector and grip safety, I did get my trigger track stone earlier in the day so I can clean up the frame a bit.

4. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

:cool: details on the 1911?

5. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Just a plain jane RIA I figured I spend a little coin on and see if I could get a nicer trigger feel on, chances are that most of the parts will wind up being upgraded at some point, but after a year I thought I'd start with a trigger. It'll never be a match gun or anything, but it'll make it a little nicer for me.

hence why the trigger track needs smoothing out, plus its a good learning experience for me.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  6. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

:cool: Try the FPS "mod" I outlined in my other post.

7. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I got the parts in and installed, I'll try and get pictures of the install tomorrow for WMD. My biggest relief is that all the parts fit correctly without any fitting. The thumb safety is a little tight so I'll probably have an excuse to buy an upgrade later.

The thing I am happiest about without having a chance to test fire it, is the grip safety. The only RIA setup was never clear if it was actually stopping on the safety or the sear. I'd tested once or twice, you are supposed to pull the trigger and it will stop and depressing the grip safety will cause the trigger to "surge" backwards until it hits the sear, well depressing the grip safety did nothing. Now it is clear that it is not resting on the sear which makes me happy.

What exactly is the purpose on that mod?

8. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Not really a "mod" since it's JMB's original design. In WWI some of the GIs complained the slide on the 1911 was too hard to rack so the FPS was modified to today's current design.

With the more abrupt corner, the slide has less mechanical advantage in cocking the hammer and is therefore slowed more in its rearward travel. As a result, it's moving more slowly and so hits its rearward stop more gently. Slower-moving slide = less "felt" recoil. Nearly everyone who tries it agrees the recoil isn't "less," just "different," but all agree the gun gets back on target more quickly after a shot.

I plan to try it out this weekend. :big grin:

9. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I'll keep that in mind for the next round of modifications, which will probably focus on the barrel and slide.

as I promised pictures here they are (please not my digital camera is on its last legs so sorry for the picture quality.)

First off, I didn't take pictures but here is a stock RIA 1911

[​IMG]

Here is mine after the work (I had already polished the barrel before this work)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Since I forgot to take picture of the goodies when they came, here are pictures of what didn't go back in

[​IMG]

and 1911 crew especially the likes of RIA and such, this makes for a much smoother trigger pull even on a stock trigger

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=798&st=trigger track stone&s=