I HATE Visual Studio .NET.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jun 13, 2007.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Especially when it comes to form design. Textboxes and labels and buttons just resize themselves without asking when I change the size of their containers! This is a "feature"? No! This is "bullshit". I know exactly what I want the form controls to do, and I know exactly how to make them do it. I don't want them making their own decisions and making a mess of my work-in-progress.

VB6's form designer had it right. They just couldn't leave good enough alone, could they?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

works fine for me. i think the majority of people prefer the feature. Pretty easy just to tell one textbox not to anchor, then just copy/paste that as many time as you need.

I can't even imagine having to go back to vb6 the language, or the shoddy IDE

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

vb6 form designer was shit. vb.net got it right. Make sure you've installed the service pack, it does have a few ui fixes for some "anomalies"

4. numnuts

numnuts New Member

I have not liked any IDE's since borland C++ 5.5 and VB 5.0 :mamoru: . Then again i program with a text editor and a form management system for midrange/mainframes, so i am way out of the visual programing loop.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

hey numnuts, is there any way i can emulate a as400 os390 box? I basically have an app that really needs to run on a z-series mini but I don't have one to dev on... any ideas?

6. deusexaethera

Heh...for a second I thought you were insulting the guy.

Anyway, VB6's form designer doesn't make assumptions about what I want it to do, and VS.NET's form designer does -- therefore, VB6's form designer is better. If Microsoft had had the good sense to make the anchoring feature toggleable through a checkbox in the IDE environment settings, instead of making me change every single goddamned control on every form in every project manually, then it would suck a bit less than it does.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

99% of vb6 apps LOOK like vb6 apps. And that's a bad thing. VS.Net makes assumptions that are valid in 99% of situations to match 99% of mainstream apps.

You are uncomforable with this because you had poor UI design to begin with.

For the rest of us, it's a gift from Heaven.

8. deusexaethera

Either I had poor UI design to begin with, or I know how to align controls mathematically so they don't look like shit on the form, and I have a keen eye for producing forms with a consistent appearance.

It's only a single example, I know, but the one app that I wrote recently that I posted screenshots of on this forum elicited the same comment several times: "Nice app. What language is it written in?" I'll go ahead and take that as evidence that my apps fall into the 1% that aren't obviously created in VB6.

9. JubjubRSX

JubjubRSX New Member

shrug vb6 yeah was shitty.....u think .net is bad try VS 2005... what i gotta work with....

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I like VS2k5. very nice ide.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

post a pic of it again, please. My memory seems to recall it having a non-standard appearance more like a skinned app -- so no that would not be a good example.

12. Frequency

Frequency New Member

VS2008 will be nice from the reports I'm hearing from friends that were in Orlando for Microsoft tech thing(the name escapes me at this moment)

13. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Writing GUIs just sucks in general.