I hate Valentines day marketing

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by evolution, Feb 2, 2006.

1. evolution

evolution New Member

I was planning the usual flowers, dinner, drinks and a hotel the Falls on V-day BUT it seems she wants more. These diamond ads during sporting events really screw the guys over.

She's hinting at a couples rings but i've only been seeing her for a month. :o If it comes to it, do I buy both or hers and then she buys mine?

I really would rather not do this until way later even though we're getting along very well. I don't want to dump even 2-3k for a basic ring she wants because it has a bloody rock on it. It's not an engagement ring-- if it was I would have ran away, but isn't it too early for even any symbolic gift? :hs:

2. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Ring after a MONTH? Yeah, right. After a month, she's going to be lucky if she gets flowers and dinner from me. For a ring, she would have to be the most amazing woman on the planet and have proved we were ultra-compatible in every way.

3. nexusgirl

nexusgirl New Member

I agree, a ring after a month is kinda ridiculous imho.

4. low20

low20 Member

hellllll no, dont do the ring thing...youd be crazy...but your right, these ads are rediculous...valentines day has become a "give your woman a diamond or something else really expensive" day. no longer do girls do anything for guys...valentines day used to be a mutual thing where some girls would ask guys to be their valentine and some guys would ask girls..now its just girls saying gimme gimme gimme, and all the guy is left with is an empty wallet. its such a stupid "holiday". as if we dont give them enough already

5. bolo1313

bolo1313 Life down here is just a strange illusion OT Supporter

she's a bitch for asking for it and you're a sucker for even contemplating buying it.

6. Yotes

Yotes New Member

Precisely the reason for "Steak and a Blowjob Day" on march 14th.

7. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

I dont want my bf to buy me jewerly or other expensive stuff. I would be great with homecooked dinner and renting a video. Dinner would be my job bc my bf cant make toast hehe. Since I have been with him I have gotten something for vday. Last year I got him a cordless telephone for his room and a web cam. He got me victoria secret smell good and a gift card. V-day is highly overmarketed just like christmas and practically every other major holiday, what other time of the year would we go out of our way and spend extra money on someone. But they know some dope will fall for it and they will make a buck or two. At the walmart where I live as soon as they had the christmas decor down they had 3 aisles of vday stuff up. This year all I want is a starbucks card and to spend a day with my bf. Keywords of the day: Low Maintence

That girl is out of her mind if she wants a ring after a month. Way too early in the relationship for jewerly passing.

8. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

my wife and I agreed when we first started dating that valentines day would always be just another day. There is no sense in making one day more special than others in reguards to love, its an every day thing.

Pre-high school it was a cool thing because we always did the valentines thing and had alot of candy.

In high school it was a great excuse for a date and a dance.

Once life moved on, I only see it as marketing. Although it may be nice to do something special on V-day, dont do it because its V-day, do it because its what you want to do.

If a girl EVER requested something special on v-day id laugh in her face and walk away. Thats outright ignorant.

9. NuShooz

NuShooz OT Supporter

No girl deserves a ring after 1 month

10. BradUF

BradUF Guest

What a bitch.

11. shangrilarcadia

shangrilarcadia A lady

You should not be buying her a diamond after one month. Either she is delusional, or she is greedy, OR you misinterpereted her and she wasn't actually hinting.... Whatever it is, you should do something, but after only a month it shouldn't be anything big

12. Ichabod Crane

Ichabod Crane Active Member

A month and asking for a diamond ring? Red flag brother, red flag.

13. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

girls like yours disgust me. personally, i hate valentine's day as well, even though it's supposedly my day (being a girl, and all).

i'd rather receive a simple gift (a well picked, thoughtful card) as a surprise any other day of the year, than one on valentine's day.

before i bitch your girl out unfairly ;) :o, i need some more information: she's hinted at rings? oookay, how much were there? in addition, you said that she wanted more than what you had planned. just my 0.02, but i think what you had planned was CLEARLY sufficient [borderline overboard], considering the amount of time you've been together. what did she say to make you think she wanted more?

14. evolution

evolution New Member

Very disgusting! I think because when I met her, I still had a ring on from my previous gf (couldn't get the sucker off).......wonder if I can melt that one and trade it in, too bad it's engraved :rofl: We split bills 50/50 now so I know she's not a gold digger, she just seems to like living the high $$$ life.

She said something to the matter of: "Let's go to Tiffanys to get a couples ring, okay?" :hs: I don't mind getting a silver with an engraving for her but if she wants a rock even the tiniest one, i'm running away.

15. low20

low20 Member

see wrong attitude...you said "eventhough its supposedly my day" i just dont get when v-day turned into the girls day...maybe its just me but i remember v-day (back in the day) being, girls ask guys and guys ask girls...not JUST guys asking girls to be their v-tine...whatever, i think its a pointless day, but girls act like their supposed to be all high and mighty on v-day...seems like they conveintly forgot that it was a mutual day. guys are lucky if they score a card, while, they "have" to spend like $50+ on roses, $50+ on dinner, and now like $500 on diamonds? fggin crazy if you ask me.

16. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

You're living with her after a month?:hsugh:

17. turbolude_94

turbolude_94 New Member

Werd

18. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

Yeah I wouldn't give a girl a ring after dating her for one month. On the other hand, I would never feel bad about giving my girlfriend something nice. I don't expect anything in return for Valentine's day, but I know she's getting me something.

19. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

After a month she's asking for a ring? :hsugh: Damn! A month is still very early in the relationship for that ... Sunday will be 1 year for the bf & I, and I havent asked for a ring yet, rock or without. (Then again, I dont plan on ASKING for one, I just hope when the time is right for both of us, I'll be presented with one :))

You say you're splitting the bills 50/50, are you 2 living together already?

20. red97gst

red97gst New Member

i doubt they live together, im thinkin 50/50 is just on dinner bills and such...

and even getting a "couples" ring after a month is ridiculous. How old is she? Has she been in any long relationships before? Seems liek she really wants to let people know that youre hers....

ive been with my girl for a year and im not gettin her a ring.....let alone a rock. She may think if you spend money on yourself that why not you spend money on her.....i dont know how your relationship is, but u better ask her, half jokingly, what shes doing for u for valentines day....

based on her response (from "i dont wanna spoil the surprise" to "HAHA ARE U KIDDING") you may be able to judge more of waht kind of gift she deserves...

21. erobbins

erobbins Active Member

ring :rofl:

I've dated girls for years and not bought them rings.. really bad idea.
    also, any girl who outright asked for one would NEVER get one.

22. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:doh: i didn't explain myself effectively. i agree that valentine's day should be about both the man and woman... it's gratitude for your significant other, and i totally applaud that. so please don't think i have a bad attitude regarding the "idea" of valentine's day.

that said, personally, i'm not all up on the hype. i could care less, really. ;) a nice card would be great, or just spending the day with my SO, in general. :)

:o, in all actuality, i'm not a materialistic woman at all, whatsoever. i get excited about little things: remembering my birthday, my favorite candy, stories i tell about random stuff i like, etc... ;) i'm BIG on the listening thing. if the guy cannot listen, then he's not for me. simply put ;)

23. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

:rofl:
    :rofl:

24. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

Oh, and I hate Vday marketing as well. I just hate jewelry store advertising in general because I am SO not into that crap, and it makes it seem like all women are just greedy diamond ho's.
    Blech.
    I'd be very un-thrilled about a diamond tennis bracelet, personally. LOL
    AND NO getting rings like that after a MONTH, IMO. NOoooooo.

25. evolution

evolution New Member

First off, thanks to everyone for the feedback.

No no, the "50/50" thing is when we go out. When we went out last time with some of my friends she paid for us all by slipping her card to the waiter when no one was looking then bought a bottle of XO at the bar later on during the night. I don't think she is a complete gold digger, she just says she is insecure which is absurd because she's a very beautiful and has done some ads. She's just the type of girl that likes expensive, designer things but other than the ring she hasn't hinted at anything else.

In retrospect and to be optimistic, she could have been asking to split the cost of the rings but REGARDLESS I'm not going to get a ring-- not even an onion ring. If she asks I will say it is too early for that kind of thing and if she's not happy with that explanation then we're going seperate ways. :) I'm also not going to get her anything for a long time see what happens too.