SRS I hate this town

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by meatball, Mar 25, 2009.

1. meatball

meatball you're the grasshole ya grasshole OT Supporter

I moved to South Florida 2 years ago and I still haven't assimilated. Everybody I meet is through an extended network of other people I've met...and they're all skateboarders. They're my only group of friends and they're the most insipid, one-dimensional wastes of life imaginable. The only thing they ever talk about with any kind of passion is skateboarding, which I have no knowledge of. I can't even tell you the last time I felt an appreciation for someone for their substance or for something thought-provoking. I spend most of my days daydreaming about living back in my old town with my old friends. I don't attract any decent girls anymore because I'm sure my depressed attitude doesn't send the best signals to anybody getting to know me. I'd love to meet new people and ditch everybody I've ever met down here but I can't seem to find a way.

Everytime I try to say something meaningful nobody gives a fuck. I spend most of the time with friends drinking and forcing fake laughs from other people's shitty humor. I came from a small town and I was, I hate talking like this, high on the social ladder. Plenty of girlfriends, friends I would die for, etc. This drop has totally deflated me.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

where'd you move from?

you went from being the big fish in a small pond to a small fish in a big pond full of idiots it sounds like.

3. meatball

new jersey :hs:

4. kiri

kiri New Member

:sadwavey: also unhappy in the town i just moved to.

i realize now how spoiled i was in college... all our friends were a 5 minute walk away, everyone was intelligent, funny, and interesting and always wanted to do stuff. right now my life is so boring i could scream, and i have also only met a couple people i would consider being friends with, the rest of them are horrible.

i just keep plodding along, lonely as i am. try not to reminisce too much about home, it only makes it worse. pick up a hobby/something to work towards (i have been going to the gym and i'm also studying for the MCAT). are you moving anytime soon? i hope to start med school in the fall of 2010 and be far away from here by then :hs:

5. oakback

oakback New Member

Get a hobby you enjoy, and spend time in that hobby. You will meet other people who share your interest (like you skateboarding friends).

6. Brian May

Brian May New Member

:wavey: i know the feeling. i've hated this place for 16+ years

7. meatball

i just joined the YMCA so ideally some fitness classes I take or swimming/sports will introduce me to people

I'm not even asking for much...just a girl or a handful of guys that I can relate to on a human scale...just one conversation that's not fluff or forced

8. meatball

i wonder if it would be back to the "good old days" if i moved back to my hometown...or the allure would wear off and I'll think I made a mistake

i always have the worst grass in greener syndrome....i hate this

9. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

im worried about this too... i hate my hometown but im afraid moving to a new place isnt going to solve anything... similar reasons you said, dull friends in a town with a go-nowhere culture and little to do. i hope a city will have more diverse people and intellectual, entertaining things to do. im pretty out-going and ive been seeking things to do but they all consist of driving a half hour to an hour after work to get there and that in itself is demotivating.

rural town usa = fail imho

10. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Every city has its own atmosphere, and you are best off moving to a city that befits closest near your own personal atmosphere. For instance currently I am Nagoya Japan, but there`s a big difference compared to Tokyo, its like people here arent willing to invest into quality and happyness which makes this place so much less thriving then for instance Tokyo. So making a move to a bigger city can give a big difference.

Here is my stand on it.

The town most likely will not change, and you will constantly reside to be unhappy in it. My suggestion would be to move towards an intellectually more stimulating enviroment, or even attend university again. My advice is also not just to move to a better enviroment, its also being more carefull about the idea that the grass is greener somewhere else, it is indeed true that the grass is greener in some other locations and that your better off moving there, but the danger is that if you keep looking at how green the grass is at other people`s gardens that you forget to attend to your own garden and let it rot into brown decay. So stay focused onto improving your own life and let others waste their time looking at your garden instead, or give them the same advice.

11. camarocane

camarocane New Member

I was in the same situation a few years back after moving to Miami. I still dont like it here but I have fun, just find a hobby and make friends within that hobby. Makes it more like home.

12. Daria

Daria New Member

It's very rare that you find good friends, so you should stay in touch with the people that really matter to you in your old town. Take trips out to see your friends in your old town on a frequent basis (as frequently as you can/like). That will make you feel alot happier, because you will know that somewhere, you actually have really good friends, even if they're not with you at the moment.