SRS I hate this time of year.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by skierd, Feb 6, 2009.

1. skierd

skierd Member

It starts during the holidays, but the window between Christmas and mid-March-ish is the worst time of the year for me. I always feel my worst, mentally and physically, and it always leads to me stumbling going into the new year in school or at work. My sleep schedule is completely out of whack, most nights I can't sleep and nearly everyday I feel like I never wake up and wander around in a fog. I've stopped being able to concentrate for very long or significantly organize myself. Back in school with the spring semester starting, the mental fog is at its thickest making it extremely hard to keep myself organized with my classwork or do any reading assignments with hope of comprehension. Hell, last week it was all I could do to make it to campus on time and get to the right classroom at the right time. :weak: And to top it off, none of the things I do to clear my head are practical or feasible this time of year for various reasons (too cold to ride for a few hours plus the bike needs maintenance, can't afford to go to the range, too cold and not enough time to go for a long walk anywhere or go out into the woods for a day or three, etc) and I still basically have no social life. It only makes it worse that I don't really have much to really be sad or blue about considering what so many people have to deal with on a daily basis, but I am regardless.

The sweet, slight mania that comes in late spring as the sun finally begins to warm the earth and the soul can't come soon enough.

2. GTP

GTP New Member

Welcome to winter in the Northern Hemishphere. It is a downer. Try to break the monotony with a trip to the carribean midway through.

3. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

Sounds like severe SAD. Go to a doctor, they have treatments for it (mostly light therapy).

4. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

i can relate :hug:

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I drink to compensate. No, I'm not kidding. One or two good stiff Belgian beers (even if you don't like how they taste) will have you staring at the wall until you fall asleep, and when you wake up you'll feel fine again. Alcohol is generally good for resetting the brain chemistry, but something about Belgian beers (I think it's lithium in the groundwater) makes them extra good at this.

Also, consider taking up snowboarding. Sitting on your ass for a long period of time is a guaranteed trip to the psych ward.

6. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

I don't think self medicating is really the best way to fix a problem. Normally you want to address the problem, not cover it up with drugs.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There's nothing wrong with self-medication; it's when you can't cope without it that it becomes a problem. If self-medication were inherently bad, then people would be discouraged from popping a couple of Tums when they have heartburn, or a couple of Tylenol when they have a headache. Just because my approach involves alcohol in any quantity doesn't mean I'm advocating functional alcoholism any more than I'm advocating eating chalk or getting hooked on pain pills.

A couple of beers a week is not anywhere near the amount of alcohol it takes to become dependent. Hell, the TS probably drinks more than that in the summer, but if he's like a lot of Americans, he does everything in the summer and nothing in the winter, so the more of his "normal" activities he can integrate into his winter lifestyle, the better. The effect of the alcohol (and whatever else is in the water) is a side benefit.

8. Daria

Daria New Member

I know in Canada, if your doctor diagnoses you with seasonal depression, he can write you a doctor's note for a sunllight lamp and you can get one for very cheap. Normally those lamps are very expensive.

I'm not sure if you're doctor can help you get one for cheaper, but at least he can help to pinpoint your problem, if you have one.

9. Pudge

Pudge New Member

second that. These months seem to make me almost depressed and I can't see a reason to continue.

10. Franco

Franco New Member

second that second.

11. skierd

skierd Member

I'd take up snowboarding (well skiing, since I have the equipment already) again if I had the time or money. Lift tickets aint cheap, and between work and school I can't really make it out to the hills anyways. Scratch another bit of enjoyment off too, engine is bustificated on the motorcycle so no more riding for quite some time.

As far as drinking goes, it never has helped me cope or deal with anything and I've never used it as such. I do enjoy a large-ish glass of whiskey or rum now and again as well as a good cigar. I've been on a dry spell until recently and hadn't had an appetite for it, and regardless my personal "wet" and "dry" seasons do not seem to be dictated by or help to change my mood.

12. up|dn

up|dn ಠ_ಠ

I have the same problem. Nothing feels right at this time of year, and I always end up doing stupid stuff to try to fix it (quit jobs, other rash decisions). I almost sold my house and moved 1000 miles last year.. wow I'm glad that didn't happen.

I feel like I need to rethink my every decision in light of the fact that I make stupid decisions at this time of year, and just try to 'make it' till Spring.

Ugh. :hs:

13. GTP

GTP New Member

Try more outdoor sports, but if you work that really cuts time off to do stuff except for weekends. They are also super expensive sports (usually). Try some tanning, it isn't that expensive and it wouldn't hurt (except for the cancer risk).