A&P I hate the Mirage hotel in Vegas!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by redna, Jul 21, 2007.

1. redna

redna New Member

Just got back from vegas this thursday and aside from the normal losing that one experiences while in vegas, i got a little extra treat.

We checked out of our room Wednesday morning and checked our luggage at the bell desk. I make it a habit to never check my camera gear because of stupid stuff like this, but we were planning on spending the day at the pool and I didnt want it completely unattended either.

So, i tell the bell man that both bags are extremely fragile and that it included very expensive equipment.

When i picked up my bags I checked my suit case to transfer my laptop into my carry on (camera bag) and we proceeded to the airport. From the time that i received the bags back from the bell man to the point of me entering my house I was the only person in possession of my bag.

Fast forward to today.... I grab my camera bag and head off to the wedding rehearsal that I'm shooting TOMORROW never thinking twice about my gear. When i get to the rehearsal I find that my SB800 is completely smashed. LCD is completely non functional. My 50mm 1.4 is bent to all hell around the outside and is actually bent at the mount plate (it's actually the body plate that is bent) and my D70 takes pictures but they look like this:

(dont mind the face, just testing on my girlfriend)
    [​IMG]

Here's a 100% crop.
    [​IMG]

So, now basically I'm screwed. Where am I going to get a new 50mm lens, a new body, and a flash before tomorrow at 1:00pm? It's not even something i can work with... the sensor is completely butchering the image... the lens comes in at about 86 degrees instead of 90 which is obviously causing focusing problems, my flash is inoperable, and my laptop doesn't power on unless I wiggle the power adapter around to the perfect spot. And even then, it shuts right back off if the power chord moves. It doesn't recognize that there is a battery in it either... says nothing is inserted into the batt slot.

Cliffnotes: Don't check baggage at hotels when it has your camera in it.

2. joy division

joy division New Member

:rofl: @ checking camera in baggage. I have 180 pounds of gear somewhere in between puerto rico and LA right now, just never fly american airlines...cameras all in posession.

3. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

:hug: that fucking sucks

4. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

that sucks man, I hate how people have absolutely no respect for anyones stuff anymore

5. isaac86hatch

You gonna be in Belgium around December?

/threadjack

6. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

what part of december, I'm going back to the states from nov 19th to dec 19th for thanksgiving and my wedding :hs:

7. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

sorry to hear that. find a place to rent for the day:dunno:

8. isaac86hatch

pm sent

9. redna

redna New Member

Working on that right now... I have 5 hours. :ugh:

10. Beege

Beege If I had a dime for every time I was wrong, I'd be

can you call them and complain or something? Tell them you are really important and that people know you.

11. kristin

kristin my dog > *

That really sucks.

12. redna

redna New Member

Called and filed a claim yesterday.... I guess we'll see where it takes me. :noes:

I'll get my shit paid for.......

13. Beege

Beege If I had a dime for every time I was wrong, I'd be

:bowdown:

I'd pretend like you are a celebrity photographer (You have to speak with a lisp like you are gay though) and say that you will advise all your clients to stay somewhere else because the Mirage doesn't value or take care of their guests personal property :noes:

14. kristin

kristin my dog > *

:rofl: :rofl:

15. ericande

ericande Active Member

that sucks. the mirage is my favorite place to stay in vegas too. maybe you looked like a bad tipper? sucks though, you got someone who hated their job I guess.

16. redna

redna New Member

Well, it looks like it just wasn't my day.....

I went out and borrowed a D80 and a 50mm 1.4 and bought a new SB800 and a 70-200 2.8 so that I could get the wedding shot and I did. Cha ching.... 1400 bucks down the drain (got the 70-200 for 1200 and the SB800 for 200, not a bad deal right?)

My problems:

1. I didnt know where anything was on the damn D80 body so i was incredibly slow at switching settings (like the constant focus!). I reset the body when i got it and it set to constant focus so it didnt lock when I'd recompose my shot, I dont generally use the lock button on mine so i didnt think to use it. Needless to say, I was having some serious focus issues.

2. I was experiencing some sort of weird flash sync problem (maybe?) to where the bottom half of the frame was dark, and the top half was light.... here's an unprocessed junk file that has the problem: (see the bottom of the frame)
    [​IMG]

EXIF
    Model : NIKON D80
    ExposureTime : 1/250Sec
    FNumber : F8.0
    ExposureProgram : Manual
    ISOSpeedRatings : 400
    ExposureBiasValue : EV0.0
    FocalLength : 70.00(mm)

I had the flash on an ebay trigger at 1/16th power, don't remember where though. If anyone knows what's up with that, let me know. (I'm going to post a new thread about it to focus specifically on that issue)

3. The noise at ISO 1600 (which is what i had to shoot on a LOT of pictures) was absolutely HORRID! I'm convinced that the camera was shoddy because it looks REALLY bad. Not just grainy, but distorting the image.

4. I should have checked the battery packs on my flashes at the 1/2 way point. Some of my later images suffered from underexposure. I could have solved that by chimping a little, but i didnt. Things were moving too quickly.

Anyhow, as soon as I get the pics processed (took about 1600) I'll post a few.

17. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

you told them it was fragile.. i'm sure they were extra careful while kicking it around...

but that seriously sucks.

18. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

google tells me that a D80's xsync is 1/200.

19. joy division

joy division New Member

your first problem was trusting someone iwth your equipment

your second was using nikon

1/250 should probably have been 1/160, f/7 or whatever. serious sinc promelllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeem

and your gf is ugly

20. redna

redna New Member

Haha... you're a fucking bitch. I'd kill you if you ever said that to my face. Then I'd take pictures of your insides and send it to your loved ones you homosexual butt fucking pig.

Thanks for the tip though.

21. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

No offense but I would never hire anyone to shoot my wedding if they said they didn't have a backup body & lens...or they were stupid and forgot to ask that question

22. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

I don't think your gf is ugly, but take better pics to prove it :)

and mirage is where I stay in vegas, it's nice. I think you just got a douchebag person handling your stuff, could have happened anywhere.

23. redna

redna New Member

I generally do have a backup body but I sold it and bought a D200 that hasn't arrived yet. It was supposed to be here last week. As far as the lens goes, I just didnt have a backup 50mm 1.4. I had a 17-55 that I could have used... I was more bitching about my 50mm because I just bought it and wanted to use it on a wedding.

24. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

You sound totally prepared to be shooting weddings. Great job on the sync speed :ugh2:

25. Kirk Hinrich

Kirk Hinrich New Member

wow i didn't realize the AP forum was full of such assholes :ugh2:

sorry dude that shit sucks