SRS i hate talking to my dad

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by babygodzilla, Jul 29, 2007.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

im 23, just got back from studying in China, just quit my job, and just been chillin for a month. everytime he calls me all he talks / yell about is wtf am i doing with my life and when am i gonna start my own business. he's so hell bent on me and everyone and their moms having their own business. i WANT to have my own business, and ive been doing quite a bit of research about money, management, etc. obviously its gonna take a while to learn all that shit, and it doesnt help when he talks to me like he knows everything and i dunno shit. like i said, i have plans on opening my own business, but when he talks to me like that he makes it sound like a chore, like something i HAVE to do instead of something i WANT to do, and that just makes me feel like a failure. it sounds to me like he'll never be proud of me before i have my own SUCCESSFUL business. goddamn it shut the fuck up already. and he wonders why i never really wanna talk to him.

just venting. /rant

2. FrozenSTi

FrozenSTi This site WILL get me in trouble......

Must be nice to have a dad that gives a shit. It also sounds like he is projecting a bit and that you are an extension of himself. You fail, he fails.

Probably the best way to make him happy is to ask him for some very specific advice. Ask him something that doesn't make the business, just things like "Who do you think would be the best delivery service? UPS, FedEx, etc?". He wants to help, but you need to do it on your own as much as possible as well.

.2c

3. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

if he wants to help, he's not showing it in a very nice way. i dont wanna be a whiny bitch, but his tone of voice sounds very condescending. like i said, it sounds like he knows everything and i know nothing. im the dumbest amongst my siblings. i never had good grades, not good at sports, etc etc. i have nothing to be proud of, and though im a pretty optimistic person, but his attitude towards me is just not helping at all.

4. tidalxwave

tidalxwave WWKD? OT Supporter

don't pick up the phone..but if that doesnt work somehow

get a job, move out, and live your own life. parents always say if you live under my roof, follow my rules.

well just become independent, get out of there and do your own thing

then when he calls, you can just tell him to be quiet, or that your busy, or that you dont want to talk to him

if he gets mad, what is he going to do, just hang up, and maybe he'll realize he can't boss his son around anymore especially if he doesnt live under his own roof.

Asian parents im assuming show love by instructing vs caring and understanding, so its just how it is.

5. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

Asian indeed. im waiting word from a company. hopefully i get the job, then maybe he'd shut up, at least for a few months. hopefully.

6. teo

teo . => ? => !

I think you'd feel quite a bit worse if he was ambivalent to everything you did - at least you're "someone" to him. He does care, although it seems he's not showing it very well. Try to focus on that and see past his crappy delivery of the message. Get caller ID to help you keep your sanity.