I hate side control

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by Hoodoo, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Hoodoo

Hoodoo OT Supporter

Figured I would start a training log so I could look back on where i've come from. Started training 8 months ago and all I can say is I love BJJ. I train 2-3 times a week, with school and a full time job. Its worth every amount of effort put into it and i'm finally started to see results.

Last open mat I feel I did well but i'm spending plenty of time on my back and sides still. Learning to stay calm and feel for when i'm actually at risk of getting caught or when to wait it out until I can make space or reverse.

My hip movement is getting better, I find myself dropping them more often with alot more ease througout the rolling. I still need alot of work in side control and keeping my posture from being broken too easily. Working my escapes earlier would be a plus. I'm a skinny fuck.

2. teep

teep New Member

i love side control :bowdown:

keep it up dude! a log is a great idea. keeps you more motivated and training harder.

are you doing gi, no gi, both?

3. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I hate side control from the bottom as well. Being a good bit lighter than most of the guys you roll with will do that. :hs:

I'm in a real similar situation to you are as far as having a full time job and making it 2-3 times a week.

4. Hoodoo

Hoodoo OT Supporter

I do gi only. Our coach wants us to focus on gi and technique for a few years before we go no gi.

Bottom in side control does suck but i'm getting better at it, just putting up with the pin until they make a move is no bueno. The 2-3 times a week deal, I think i've made pretty good progress but not in comparison to the two a day guys.

5. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Weird I was reading this thread before I left to go train this morning and he has us drill side control escapes and I get stuck with a dude that probably has 60 or more lbs on me. :hahano:

6. Ricey McRicerton

Just remember that all of this takes time. If you aren't doing it to open a school of your own and trying to get yourself a black belt in 6 years, the 2-3 times a week is just fine.

7. Hoodoo

Hoodoo OT Supporter

update:

This week I seem to have done everything wrong that I was making progress in last week. I don't look ahead and bring my arms in when I lose a position so I've been getting arm barred left and right but my escapes are becoming more fluid.

Also when in side control or half gaurd, for whatever reason i don't always immediately turn into the opponent and try to recover gaurd. I'm too lazy and just rely on escaping a submission when they give me room or make a mistake. A really bad habit for sure.

For now, I have ringworm and can't do shit.

8. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (mogul: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint:pPC6800)

start learning how to attack from half guard. sweeps! that way you won't be focusing all your efforts and energy to getting back to full guard.

9. Ricey McRicerton

I'm sure I'll catch some hate for this, but the Eddie Bravo dvds "Master the rubber guard" have some really good half guard stuff even if you don't like the rubber guard.

:dunno:

10. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

lock down, underhooks, and old school. :bigthumb:

11. Hoodoo

Hoodoo OT Supporter

I missed our week that we started the major sweeps and passes from half gaurd so i've been honestly clueless for the most part.

12. Ricey McRicerton

Old school and electric chair. Those 2 are basically all you'll be doing as far as sweeping from the bottom for the most part. Just make sure you really grab at the toes on the old school sweep and it's pretty easy. The electric chair is a little bit more difficult.

Sweeps from half guard:

Old School
    [y]PCfpv5Rk__4[/y]

[y]WXpLmp0jVVM[/y]

Electric Chair
    [y]6dBB-X_rDuY[/y]

I couldn't find a video of my favorite pass, but Sherk used it in the Franca fight a bunch of times. Hips up a little bit, hook the leg controlling yours with the outside foot, and either shake your hips a big to slide the legs off and down yours or walk your foot up twoards the butt. It's tough to explain with some pictures or something.

13. Hoodoo

Hoodoo OT Supporter

Ringworm is GONE!

Drilled and rolled on friday and we actually spent some time on half gaurd sweeps and passes so I got a refresher. I was pretty pleased but I was rushing some submissions and people more or less walked out of them. I used an x gaurd sweep that we did forever ago and I was pretty thrilled I could pull it out after not seeing it in forever. I rolled with a 300+ lb guy and its helping my hip movement and control a ton, my pins are getting better as well. Good day.

14. Hoodoo

Hoodoo OT Supporter

Rolled yesterday. Everything went pretty well, still having trouble with getting back to gaurd from side control but its a work in progress. My side control is getting better however.

I'm seeing submissions a little more and starting to work them, just need to focus more on holding the position and following form strictly to get the submission.

15. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

not to blatantly be hating on eddie bravo or anything but for the most part, a LOT of novices develop really really bad hip movement because they are trying to use the lockdown and get stuck flat on their back. I am not saying do not practice it as well, but in my opinion a more technically sound sequence of sweeps can be found performed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTcxgI0MNaM