I hate my job

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nickelleon, Jul 25, 2006.

1. nickelleon

nickelleon not nickelodeon

Im a web developer for a big company and I work on applications for my clients to use. What pisses me off is that our development environment is all sorts of fucked up and I have to get it to work in development before it is approved. But once it is approved, I have to pray it works in production. Why the fuck am I developing code to work in a dev environment?? I should be developing code to work in production :mad:

/:rant2:

2. nickelleon

nickelleon not nickelodeon

WTF, AppDev just told me that the reason the session wasn't closing was because the dev server was slow to respond. I swear to god, I wonder if we are using a Palm m105 as the dev server. :mad:

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Isnt the reason companies have a separate dev environment is to make sure new apps/code doesnt nuke the production stuff and therefore cause huge problems?

Isnt the dev environment supposed to closely mimic porduction anyways?

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I believe you've accurately deduced the cause of the OP's frustration.

5. deusexaethera

All I can suggest, aside from quitting your job and finding a new one, is to build your own pre-production environment, write your code so it runs properly, and then make a copy of the code and fuck with it til it runs on the development server. When it gets approved, submit the un-fucked-with code to the client on the down-low.

6. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

And get your ass fired for not following proper procedure. Brilliant!

7. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Get the dev enviornment fixed..?

8. deusexaethera

Employers are primarily concerned with getting money from clients. If this guy delivers a good product -- through whatever means -- and the client comes back to get more work done, then he has a solid argument to keep from getting fired (he wouldn't be violating any ethical rules by doing what I suggested), and it would (help) get the message across to the people in charge that the development server needs to be fixed. Simply making-do will not get that message across, because as long as the work gets done and the client pays for the work, the higher-ups aren't going to give a fuck how hard or easy the work was.

9. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

where do you work in plantation?

10. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

If your development environment doesn't mimic your production environment, then you need one which does. Period. Send off a request to whoever is responsible for it and outline your complaints. They will understand. If they do actually refuse your request, then at least you have something credible to tell them later when your design takes longer than planned or doesn't work as expected. Otherwise, they'll just ask why you didn't talk to them sooner.