SRS I hate highway driving

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cyan Connect, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. OT Supporter

I finally had to come out and say it. I hate highway driving. I sometimes wish that they would pass a law to greatly expand public transportation or create self-driving cars. I don't think there is anything in this world that I can't do except drive on freeways. I've driven on freeways several times, even for long distances, but I had my father in the car with me or in another vehicle in front of me. But when I am by myself, unless it is for a few miles, I do not drive on freeways.

2. Madeinchinamic

Madeinchinamic New Member

3. Cyan Connect

It makes it harder to go through day to day activities when I hate going long distances on fast roads. It is just so frustrating. I feel like it is holding me back from so many opportunities.

4. Raisedshoulder

Raisedshoulder Some Blode.

Is it a fear of highway driving?

5. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Then you're going to have to just suck it up and either get used to highway driving or deal with the inconvenience of avoiding it. How old are you if I may ask? Even at 19 right now I still have many friends who are afraid to drive on the highway and avoid it at all costs. You just get used to it over time. When I first started driving I didn't like highways (I'd still go if it was the best route, but if there was another route that wasn't too much out of the way I'd take that.) Now that I've had my car for 3 years I've put over 30k miles on it, driven from Massachusetts to VA and back twice, driven from MA to AZ, back to MA and back to AZ again, and by now highway driving is just a totally natural thing for me, if anything I'm more relaxed on the freeway than I am sitting at home watching TV.

6. Cyan Connect

I am 24.

7. Cyan Connect

Yes. I would say it is.

8. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

What is that you are afraid of?

9. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Have you had your license since you were 16-18, or did you just recently get it?

10. Original

Original OT Supporter

word, could be a teenager thing though, i'm 19 and feel the same

its scary sometimes when i'm driving long distance i'm doing 85 passing cars listening to music.. and it feels like i'm entranced. i'll blink my eyes and be like.. "wow forgot i was driving!"

i know a handful of people who won't do highways. it's something that requires a lot of attention.. merging, passing, high speed. guess that's just not for some people :dunno:

the only way you'll get around it is to keep doing it :hs:

11. Cyan Connect

Got it at 17 or 18. Don't remember exactly.

12. I never understood being scared of the highway....I guess I just feel natural while driving...:dunno:

13. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

I feel highway driving is easier because you mostly just go straight, and you can see whats ahead of you by usually a lot. Its generally a lot more safer (I think) until you bring bad road conditions into the mix.

14. Cyan Connect

Merging and not having total control of my surroundings.

15. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Best way to get over it is to immerse yourself in it. You never have total control in any driving situation in which there are other drivers on the road. Honestly just do it and eventually you will get over it. If you have an anxiety build up, I would suggest learning some relaxing techniques.

16. Madeinchinamic

Madeinchinamic New Member

:werd: and plus,
    don't have a mental block on highways. Driving is driving IMO.

17. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Adjust your mirrors so that you have a continuation over all three mirrors instead of overlaps.

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

When a car passes you from behind you should see it first in the rear-view mirror then the side-view mirror and then through the window as it drives by without ever losing sight of it.

When you're merging on the highway you'll be able to see the cars better and all you have to do is adjust your speed to fit into a gap in traffic.

You can't control what happens on the road but if you constantly check your mirrors and pay attention you can avoid most problems.

18. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

:bowdown: Thanks!

Driving on highways takes some time getting used to, but once you do its like what others have said, it comes natural. I always feel cool as hell switching 4 lanes across in one big swoop into the HOV lane :x:

19. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

My mother is the same way she's in her 50s and she's avoided highway driving her entire life, its annoying as hell she's go waaaaaay out of her way just so she doesn't have to take the highway. Just stay in the right lane if you aren't comfortable switching lanes all the time.

20. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

You don't have control over other people on any road. Every time you get in a car you're entrusting your life to other people. Statistically you're most likely to be killed in a car crash.

I know, I'm not helping :)

21. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

I feel safer driving on the highway than anywhere else. Nobody is turning, driving as slow, no lights to wait for, don't have to stop, no pedestrians, etc. I have no idea what you mean by not having control of your surroundings because that's a million times worse on regular roads.

22. squall458

squall458 New Member

It feels dangerous at first but its way more safe than city driving. Trust me I was scared too at first but that's because my dad was a horrible teacher. He instilled fear into me and I never got over that until I realized how great highway driving can be. You just need more time on the highway and a need for it. If it takes 20 minutes on the highway vs. 60 taking local roads, I think your gonna find a love for it.

23. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

I dont really like the highway too since i live in a very busy area and have seen many crashes.

24. 7960

7960 New Member

I spent a summer driving all over new england and upstate ny installing shit for the phone company. I was alone 90% of the time. A bunch of places in upstate ny I could get seinfeld re-runs on a radio station. If I found one of those I'd listen, but mostly of the time I drove with the radio off.

It was fantastic.

25. Original

Original OT Supporter

I guess I enjoy driving so much that being alert at all times is just second nature.

Combine that with the defensive driving knowledge of a motorcycle rider and it feels like I have total control.

I usually wanna go a different speed than everyone on the road so you don't get caught in blind spots and such

if a truck's in front of me and I know merging cars are up ahead he will usually get over so I back off or speed past him :hs:

cars going slower than others in the left lane aren't paying attention so it's good to stay back or get around them :o

cars coming up to someone fast in the right lane will probably cut you off in the left :mamoru:

the more time you spend on the highway you just pick up tricks that let you know everything that's happening around you

:dunno: