I HATE HARDWARE!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by o2, Aug 2, 2007.

1. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

My computer is running hot like a motherfucker. I tried everything, replaced the CPU, cooler, reseated it 4 times, sothe culprit HAS to be the mobo (evga 680i). 65C in Bios right on boot (after a 3 hour cooldown) and 95+ in windows when encoding videos, when it frequently shuts off my pc.

I go buy an Asus P5N32-E SLI. Its basically the same thing, only from Asus. Boot, I get 35C in Bios... woot. Then bios freezes.... I reboot, the boot messages are all fucked. I reboot again, it just keeps looping a reboot after reboot. I shut off power, turn it back on..... the boot messages show up all fucked again, and it freezes. DOA mobo ftw!

I put the old mobo in again, boot PC, bam, 65C again, 95+ under load (but it hasnt turned off when encoding yet).

I hate this shit with a passion!

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sand down the armor on top of the CPU with 1000-grit 3M emory paper from Autozone. I've had to do this in two separate instances, because the armor had a tiny lip around the edge where it had been stamped out of whatever sheet metal they use for those things, and the lip was keeping the heatsink from contacting the armor properly.

To do it right, lay the emory paper down on a sheet of glass such as a coffee table (because glass is usually perfectly flat), then swirl the CPU around on top of the emory paper. Then clean the metal dust off with a can of compressed air followed by an alcohol pad. Both machines I've done this to dropped in operating temperature by a good 20C at least, and have suffered no electrical problems from the sanding.

3. o2

You missed the part where it was 35C on 1 mobo, and 65C on another mobo. Its obviously not the CPU.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Are you overclocking it?

If not then try an Intel board.

Or a Gigabyte if you are.

5. deusexaethera

The motherboard that was reading 35C was also the one with the obviously-defective BIOS. I wouldn't trust any temperature reading coming from it.

Anyway, have you done the touch-test yet? If the CPU is actually 65C at idle, then you should notice right quick when you touch the base of the heatsink.

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

7. o2

No, Im not overclocking it. No intel boards support SLI. I got 2 8800gtx (I dont run them in SLI, but might want to).

I already use coretemp for the reading in windows... which confirms the 65C in Bios.

8. deusexaethera

Those thermosensors are ALL interpreted by the BIOS, because they're just temperature-sensitive resistors. The analog signal HAS to be converted into a digital form before any software can make use of it.

9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Dayum.

Well the 680/650 boards were just slight upgrades from the 570/590 chipsets, which makes them not so hot imo.

I forget the number of the Intel chipset coming out in september, but it's supposed to support SLI and a few newer protocols like pci 2.0.

10. o2

Meh, I rather have the shit I currently have work. The EVGA board is fine.... its just overheating like a motherfucker.

11. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

those are supposed to be the x38's.