GUN i hate dickhead range safety officers that are on power trips

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by t1h, Sep 15, 2007.

1. t1h

t1h Guest

2. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

details are overwhelming

But I agree

3. t1h

t1h Guest

here, this is what i emailed to another friend that likes to go shooting:

its a private range, private as in you fill out an app and pay an annual membership fee. shooting my pistol at the pistol range, no one was there at the pistol range, just me and a friend. its an unsupervised range, but the range has some board members and there are people shooting there that are also NRA safety officers. So we were shooting at clay targets in little stick holders, a paper target, and a tire rim. the guy pulls up and goes "i can't let you shoot, you've got multiple safety violations. you can't shoot clays on the 25 yard pistol range at all, only on the 300 yard rifle range and 50yd shotgun ranges" they have a dumb configuration w/ this 25 yard pistol range, a berm, and a 40 yd range on the other side of the berm. i didn't remember them saying we couldn't shoot clays on the pistol range, but whatever.

then he goes on, "and your paper target is too high, you'll have to move it closer to the berm or lower it, i saw a round hit the top of the berm" (i think it was fine and i didn't see a round go that high), and then he said "and you can't shoot any curved metal out here anywhere on the ranges, it has to all be flat plate because bullets will hit curved metal and turn and come back at you, i had that happen to me once in louisiana at a range" (i know at the orientation they didn't say anything about metal having to be flat pieces, just no glass)

so then he says "i'm going to have to write you up but you've got a good attitude so i'll note that" and i asked if i'll be suspended or anything, and he said "no but it will go in the record and if anyone else writes you up again you'll have to go before the board and explain what was going on or not come back" (and i was thinking to myself ok i wasn't familiar with all the unwritten/verbal rules from the orientation class a year ago, can't you cut me some slack). he said "we're going to have another orientation next saturday at 2pm, you should go as a refresher" (and i was thinking no i probably just won't come back and find some other range to go to).

4. int3rnal

int3rnal Active Member

While you probably didn't deserve to be written up, his requests didn't seem all that unreasonable to me...

5. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Shooting at a rim is retarded, and dangerous. I would have said something to you to.

6. Silver96Firebird

Silver96Firebird New Member

There was a video on one of thoes 'most extreme videos' shows where a kid was shooting a steel rim in the junkyard with a 9mm girl he was with caught a ricochet in her head. She had to get stitches to close it. Shootng at a rim is a bad idea.

7. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I had an experience with a dickhead range master today... don't think I'll be going back to that range. :mad:

8. auto

auto New Member

I would tend to agree, he didn't seem like he was being a dick just concerned for your safety. You should go and bring these issues up instead of leaving the range. If none of this was covered you would be saving other people from being reprimanded for doing the same thing.

9. MTech

MTech New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc

:eek4:

10. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

What kind of fucktard shoots at rims :ugh:

11. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

12. Deckard

Deckard New Member

Yeah, no kidding. I would have thought it was obvious...

13. MTech

MTech New Member

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  14. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

and overzealous range officers > lax ones

Too many know nothing dumfucks shooting

Sorry, guns are dangerous and I dont't trust others

15. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

:werd:

16. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

17. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all. He informed you of the target stuff and was looking out for the safety of others. And shooting steel that isn't angled off for ricochets isn't a good idea. I'm an RO at our range and would have likely done the same thing.

18. t1h

t1h Guest

i've never heard of a rim being dangerous to shoot at. the club rule book says targets must be plastic jugs w/ water, ballons w/ water, paper, cardboard, or steel. thats it, it doesn't say they must be steel plate, not curved, no rims, etc. so i think its bullshit that i got written up for it. but i'm not an NRA certified range safety officer, so what do i know :rolleyes:

19. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Ok, well I'll add some clarification for you. When they say steel target, they're talking about something such as a silhouette, not just anything made out of steel. Something heavy like a steel rim, which is also curved, is substantially more likely to ricochet a bullet on a return path to you.

As far as target restrictions related to berm height, those are for a reason as well. Same thing for using clay targets on anything but a shotgun range. That one is probably just for cleanliness.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but that range officer was in the right by asking you to not do those things. You made a mistake by taking what you knew and making assumptions as to what you could or could not shoot at. The CORRECT thing for a responsible shooter to do would've been to ask some questions of the range officers present.

All you got was an invitation to attend a refresher course. Some ranges would've fined you or just booted you outright. Rather than getting all shitty about the situation, you should appreciate that someone did their job to protect YOUR safety, and did so in a polite, reasonable fashion.

20. copeland

copeland smarter than you

the RSO sounded fairly reasonable. I mean maybe, depending on the conversation who could have come off as a prick, but his intentions sounded fair.

I'd never shott at a curved material. The rim sounds like a fluke injury waiting to happen...

21. t1h

t1h Guest

again, the club rules don't specify that it has to be a silhouette, plate, whatever. it just says it has to be steel. how am i supposed to know that shooting at a rim is dangerous? i'm new to firearms, and my S&W book that came with my M&Pc didn't say anything about shooting at curved metal, nor did my CMP M1 Garand manual. I'm just supposed to be born knowing this :confused:

I don't think there was any problem with my target height. it looked fine to me.

After he chewed me out and wrote me up, he gave me his business card and said he was an NRA firearms instructor and gave firearms lessons. he was starting to give me his whole sales pitch. yeah, like i'm going to be calling this guy for anything. then he reached out his hand and said we're friends right? and i only shook it so he'd get the hell out of there and leave me alone. then he was like you can keep shooting, i don't want you to leave, i just wanted you to be aware of the safety violations, but i was like no you've killed my shooting mood, and then i packed up and left.

22. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Let me reemphasize the most important part of what I wrote:
    You say you are new to firearms, well, then this is that much more important. Ask questions ANY time you're not SURE of something. Your range officers will appreciate it and you'll be better off for it.

I'm not trying to be hard on you. Please take this advice as a lesson learned, not some sort of punishment or belittlement. :)

23. t1h

t1h Guest

its an unsupervised range. there are no RSO's on duty to ask questions to or have them ring a bell when you can go downrange, etc. this guy was just an NRA RSO that pulled up out of nowhere and knows the people that runs the place and pulled out some form and wrote me up.

24. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

Damn those dickhead RO's that are trying to keep you and others safe. :rofl:

25. t1h

t1h Guest

i don't have a problem with him explaining to me what i was doing wrong. I think it was bullshit to write me up for it, because i'm inexperienced. should of just corrected me and said try not to let it happen again and that should of been the end of it.