i hate being sick

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by robbinthehood, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

i usually lift 5 days a week, but i got real sick this past week. i was only able to get in the gym for 3 days, and i wasnt really even able to give it my all. other than that i sat around on the couch and what not all week. should i expect some number losses or will my numbers not be affected very much from this?

2. deznutz

deznutz New Member

No, it will probably do you good physcially. I know how you feel though....its all mental

3. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

I'm taking this week off, and I plan to come back stronger.

4. deznutz

deznutz New Member

I am taking a week off during spring break :sadwavey:

5. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

also, lacrosse starts up next week, and ill only be lifting 4 days out of the week. should i just continue to take the same amount of protein every single day, even non lifting days that i have been?

6. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

don't get sick

7. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

i wish you wouldve told me this before i decided to go out and do it. oh well, gota learn from mistakes

8. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was thinking the same thing. I think what he means is take precautions to not get sick in the first place. Eat and sleep well, let your body get rest and dont overtrain.

9. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

i just got the flu from someone most likely, hard to avoid contagious things :(

10. Ceaze

take Sambucol (elderberry extract)

11. Ceaze

J Altern Complement Med. 1995 Winter;1(4):361-9.

Inhibition of several strains of influenza virus in vitro and reduction of symptoms by an elderberry extract (Sambucus nigra L.) during an outbreak of influenza B Panama.

Zakay-Rones Z, Varsano N, Zlotnik M, Manor O, Regev L, Schlesinger M, Mumcuoglu M.

Department of Virology, Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel.

A standardized elderberry extract, Sambucol (SAM), reduced hemagglutination and inhibited replication of human influenza viruses type A/Shangdong 9/93 (H3N2), A/Beijing 32/92 (H3N2), A/Texas 36/91 (H1N1), A/Singapore 6/86 (H1N1), type B/Panama 45/90, B/Yamagata 16/88, B/Ann Arbor 1/86, and of animal strains from Northern European swine and turkeys, A/Sw/Ger 2/81, A/Tur/Ger 3/91, and A/Sw/Ger 8533/91 in Madin-Darby canine kidney cells. A placebo-controlled, double blind study was carried out on a group of individuals living in an agricultural community (kibbutz) during an outbreak of influenza B/Panama in 1993. Fever, feeling of improvement, and complete cure were recorded during 6 days. Sera obtained in the acute and convalescent phases were tested for the presence of antibodies to influenza A, B, respiratory syncytial, and adenoviruses. Convalescent phase serologies showed higher mean and mean geometric hemagglutination inhibition (HI) titers to influenza B in the group treated with SAM than in the control group. A significant improvement of the symptoms, including fever, was seen in 93.3% of the cases in the SAM-treated group within 2 days, whereas in the control group 91.7% of the patients showed an improvement within 6 days (p < 0.001). A complete cure was achieved within 2 to 3 days in nearly 90% of the SAM-treated group and within at least 6 days in the placebo group (p < 0.001). No satisfactory medication to cure influenza type A and B is available. Considering the efficacy of the extract in vitro on all strains of influenza virus tested, the clinical results, its low cost, and absence of side-effects, this preparation could offer a possibility for safe treatment for influenza A and B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

J Int Med Res. 2004 Mar-Apr;32(2):132-40.

Randomized study of the efficacy and safety of oral elderberry extract in the treatment of influenza A and B virus infections.

Zakay-Rones Z, Thom E, Wollan T, Wadstein J.

Department of Virology, Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel.

Elderberry has been used in folk medicine for centuries to treat influenza, colds and sinusitis, and has been reported to have antiviral activity against influenza and herpes simplex. We investigated the efficacy and safety of oral elderberry syrup for treating influenza A and B infections. Sixty patients (aged 18-54 years) suffering from influenza-like symptoms for 48 h or less were enrolled in this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study during the influenza season of 1999-2000 in Norway. Patients received 15 ml of elderberry or placebo syrup four times a day for 5 days, and recorded their symptoms using a visual analogue scale. Symptoms were relieved on average 4 days earlier and use of rescue medication was significantly less in those receiving elderberry extract compared with placebo. Elderberry extract seems to offer an efficient, safe and cost-effective treatment for influenza. These findings need to be confirmed in a larger study.

12. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

thanks doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.