I hate AT&T Wireless so much

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kilmanjaro, Jun 29, 2004.

1. kilmanjaro

kilmanjaro 6MT

Please don't purchase an AT&T wireless phone. I'm so sick of all the BS policies and crap. End of billing cycle cancels and everything. They don't have any competitive offers, their service sucks in most areas, their customer service is laughable, and to top it all off - they don't care! That's right, they're being bought by Cingular one way or the other, so what do they care? Anyone buying an ATTWS phone needs to seriously reconsider. This place makes me want to vomit everytime I step foot into the building. Too bad I work there.

/Rant

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

1. you dont have to wait until the billing cycle ends to cancel. it depends on who you talk to
    2. our plans pretty much mirror every other companies plans
    3. you havent traveled to "most areas" to warrant that claim
    4. Thats pretty much everyones state of mind is we'll let the company go to shit just b/c we're getting bought out.:rolleyes:

*let me inform you on the way commission works, and yes some customer care are on commission too. if you are a dick to the customer, they wont buy anything. with them not buying anything...it means you dont make any money. so why would someone intentionally be a dick to someone when they can make money off of you?*

5. though i dont venture to gain anything off helping you, pm me your problem and i'll take a look at it when i go to work wednesday

3. kilmanjaro

kilmanjaro 6MT

I work for Customer Care. I deal with these problems day to day. I hear from customers coast to coast so I have an extremely good idea of what coverage is like.

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE - WE DO **NOT** MAKE COMMISSION. This absolutely makes my point about this company. I am now expected to extend contracts, meet quotas, and make contract offers on all 60 calls I take a day and I get JACK SHIT back. They have this "Edge" points system so that if I bust my ass, I can win a freaking laser pointer or some shit - it's laughable. It was great when I actually was bonused on the contracts that I got, but those days are long gone and I hate my managers because of it.

The fact that the service has gone downhilll since the merger announcement isn't exactly a news flash. What would you do in the same situation? You know that your job is over sometime the beginning of next year and you're getting a big severance package when it happens. What reason is there for management to care what the hell goes on when they get their check either way.

The systems are down DAILY! I don't know of any other national company this large that has this many systems problems - it so far outside the norm, it's sad. They've had GSM rollout problems (which seem to be getting fixed w/ the Cingular 850 integration), billing issues one after the other after the other, so many sharable rate plan mix ups that I couldn't even count how many I have to correct every freaking day (again, hopefully fixed now), "billing" systems being down for months at a time and them hobbling along thereafter, porting system problems that lead to many customer's ports being delayed (and still being delayed) because ATTWS didn't want to pony up the cash to pay for the same system as EVERY other carrier was using. The list goes on, but you get the idea.

But for the love of God - Customer Care does NOT make commission and please don't tell me otherwise.

Edit: Regarding the being jerks to customers - I completely agree. Many reps don't act responsibly or with any respect to the customer and they ruin it for many of us because of the BS we now have to go through. I just get sick of dealing with people that are about as smart as a brick on a daily basis, but I guess that's any job. I was just ranting because it was one of the worst days I've had at the job in a while and it only seems to get worse day by day.

Also, regarding our offers - you're probably right. Our rate plans aren't that bad, just got caught up in the rant.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been an AT&T Wireless customer for years and have had very few problems. Your view is most likely tainted by the fact that your job is to deal with customers with problems, so that's all you see. Unfortunately for you, they don't instruct their customers to call you and tell you when things are going well and just chat, so you just hear from the folks with problems. :)

:dunno:

5. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

too much stuff to read and yes some of the cc reps i've talked to said they get commission for how many accounts they can keep when customers call in to cancel their service. you're in a position to all you hear all day long is people calling in b/c they've got a problem. of course you're going to have a bias opinion. not all jobs are going to be lost after the merger so dont think that all attws employees are going to get a "get the hell out" package. all i've got to say is if you dont like your job shut your hole and quit.

6. kilmanjaro

kilmanjaro 6MT

If eveyone went by the mantra "if you dont like your job shut your hole and quit" then most people wouldn't have jobs. CC reps no longer receive compensation for their contract renewals other than the affor-mentioned "Edge" points which are a joke.

Every training we have, they tell us that it's 2-3 times cheaper to renew a current customer's contract than to activate new service (which is obviously a gross overstatement, but they say it anyways). If that's the crap they feed us, then why do sales reps get paid for selling new accts and are 2-3 times less profitable than the ones that we renew? Doesn't make sense does it? Well, neither does AT&T Wireless.

As far as the jobs being lost, I wasn't referring to the bottom line employees. Most people at my call center feel that they have a good chance of keeping their jobs (everyone except the temps we've hired since the merger news). Most of my comments regarding not caring are referring to management that couldn't care less about anything that goes on in their company even if the merger doesn't go through. Look at the LNP and Siebel systems that they initiated a year ago - well before the Cingular merger was even conceived of. Those systems still don't work 1/2 as well as they should.

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i will NEVER work a job that i hate. theres no point in it. i'm a firm believer in get a job and like what you're doing or get another job. this JOB isnt my career. i'll soon have a bachelors of science in nursing (R.N.) and if it turns out i dont like that field, i'll move on to something else i like.

see if you can move to a retail store. its so much better. you dont have to take calls where its nothing but people calling with problems all the time. i cant tell you how many cc reps i've talked to that want to go to a retail store b/c of the ability to make so much more money

as far as the siebel goes...that software/company is just bullshit. they should have went with someone else. one of my huge complaints is using citrix. damn it can we get something that doesnt take an hour to pull up something as simple as OUR OWN DAMN HOMEPAGE! Personally I dont like our upper management b/c they (as well as i'm sure all district managers) want to concentrate more on if i've got a name tag on than getting advertising out and fixing the problems we do have

8. kilmanjaro

kilmanjaro 6MT

I by no means plan on keeping this job as a career. This is simply a means to an end. I'll have my bachelor's degree in 3 agonizingly long semesters, but this job pays the rent. The pay doesn't suck, it just sucks about the commission/incentives. Like I said, Monday was just an all around craptacular day and I was ranting. Most of what I said, I still stand by. I still think our upper management has better chances of winning the lottery than fixing our issues, so it's frustrating.

It's not all bad calls we take, just seems like quite a few. I can deal with customers who have high bills, lost phones, want free phones, want credit...but Monday just had a massive influx of morons calling in. For instance, customer yelling and cursing because they think their bill is too high when the bill is $48 and they are on a 99.99 rp and you have to re-explain the balance forward over and over and over. It just seems like management doesn't listen (don't seem to care) so I felt like yelling on the internet I guess. :rant2:

9. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

on a related note...the newest issue of consumer reports which came in the mail yesterday showed that AT&T fielded the MOST complaints out of all the cell phone providers, having practically DOUBLE the percentage of complaints than the next highest (sprit or tmobile i think). Verizon, on the other hand, (the largest cell provider currently) had the least amount of complaints. Complaints were filed in a total of six categories, of which service and billing were two...and the double percentage held true for ATT for both of those categories.

10. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

thats why i cant wait until the merger is complete. so i can work for a company that i can put my talent towards. i hope they do away with all of our managers and just keep our sales staff

11. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

I think the major problem I'm seeing here is the damn care reps just telling the customers "yeah, you can get a free phone, just go to the store." When if the damn care rep would run a CUP report they would see the customer is not in fact eligible for upgrade thereby saving me the trouble of saying "well, you were lied to, I'm sorry, please don't terminate service with us."

Take today for example:

A customer comes in after being by customer care that she can purchase new GSM equipment after finding out her TDMA equipment doesn't work in the area. She purchased her original equipment 4 months ago- well outside our 30 day return period and well before a discounted upgrade date. SHE WAS TOLD BY CARE that she could get 2 Nokia 6200s for free. Just imagine the look on her face when I said "There's no way this can happen at this time and date. The rep has misled you to believe you could get this equipment at a discounted or free price."

She terminated service that afternoon. :rolleyes:

12. octave5

octave5 OT Supporter

i had AT&T for 2 years and i always wanted to switch while i was with them. i just felt like everything i did with them, i had to pay for something. nothing was just user friendly except that they had the phones that i liked. before them, i was happy with sprint. glad i'm back with them. i got jacked though cuz i lost my number while they tried transferring me. so i have a new number. eh.

13. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

agreed. i have found that most of the time cc reps that do the wrong things arent even employees of at&t. they work for a third party

14. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

my girlfriend has AT&T and it really does suck. She is roaming places that she shouldn't be roaming in. I have Tmobile and I don't roam anywhere she does.

Her Cell doesn't work anywhere in the house.

Also...we have AT&T for our company cell phones and the customer service does suck.
    I'm on hold FOREVER whenever I have to call them!! Easily 30min wait before I talk to someone!

15. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

depending on what plan shes on, roaming in covered areas might not be a bad thing. most plans have free roaming. customer service quality is relative to who you talk to. no not everyone is going to be nice, just like not every person you speak to on the street is going to be nice. i dont understand why you have high hold times b/c they've decreased dramatically. what time of the day are you calling?

16. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

Are the GSM accounts better then a regular account. Becuase I know she does not have a GSM account and she has horrible reception.

I handle our corporate cell phone accounts with AT&T and when I need to call I'm easily on hold for 30min...even though they originally say estimated hold time 15-20min. :rant2:

17. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

yes the new gsm plans are better. threre are no roaming or long distance charges anywhere you use your phone

18. DejaVooDoo

DejaVooDoo *Jojo*

I work for ALLTEL's Customer care...we make commission. I average $400/month in commission on top of my $13.86/hr. We used to use the Edge system, until we coverted over to actual $ commission.

19. Supadoggie

Supadoggie I ♥ my doggah

AT&T coverage was horrible around my area (and their phone plans were shitty too). I would go to my friend's house and the phone would have no reception.. just a dead zone. I have complained to AT&T about it and they did nothing.

My gf had AT&T for many years and every time she renews her contract they dont give her ANY deals.. no new phone at a discount .. no better plan .. NOTHING. She had the same shitty phone for a long time...

The only reason she stayed with them was for her number. As soon as the number portability came into effect she switched to Verizon and has not had any problems

20. spicaly

spicaly Active Member

my att service is good, i get a discount through my job so that helps, but the gsm did give me some problems depending on where i was at

21. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

she must have been dealing with an authorized agent or you have your story confused b/c when you renew a contract you are eligible to get phones for the same prices new customers pay. i think you're a little confused.

oh and yes, the phone selection is horrible. thats just why at&t has a wider selection of gsm phones than any other company and thats why at&t gsm phones are purchased more than any other to be unlocked

22. Supadoggie

Supadoggie I ♥ my doggah

They never offered her anything when renewing (she did it over the phone I think).

This was all before AT&T had the GSM network. It was still the TDMA network.

AND I NEVER said or implied that AT&T had a horrible phone selection. I just said the one my girlfriend used was crap.

23. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

attws has the worst priced plans and shittiest data plans available in my opinion.

24. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

With ATT Gsm I don't have service in my house....with Tmobile I do.

Tmobile > AT&T GSM :mamoru:

25. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

Come down to Florida and say that. T-mobile has easily the WORST GSM coverage ever down here. If you live more than 10 miles away from a major highway or city, you're screwed.