A&P I has a wedding shoot lined up :eek3:

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Section8, May 10, 2009.

1. Section8

Section8 .

No details yet, waiting on them to call, but i got a wedding lined up through another OTer. I am doing it for free just having them pay for prints - mainly so i can get the experience and build my portfolio.

So i have 2 flashes and umbrellas/stands, my 28-70mm and 10-20mm wide angle. Also have my 90mm tamron which i think will work well.

I'm wondering if I should pick up a 3rd flash and try and get some kind of softbox for the group shots, or maybe ask about reimbursing for renting lights and softboxes? i guess I'll have more info about that once i determine the location of the wedding since I could just shoot the group shots outside light/weather permitting.

Also is there a list of 'must have' wedding shots somewhere that someone can give me? i know i need the dress, the rings, bride/bridesmaids prepping groom/groomsmen prepping etc.

2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

You have more than enough. And bare flash will be the best option, don't worry about soft boxes or umbrellas.

3. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

I don't know about you but I would bail out of any deal where the photographer asked me to reimburse him for photography equipment rentals for a standard wedding. If I was asking for something extravagant, maybe, but standard gear should be your problem, no?

4. Section8

Section8 .

bare flash really? :eek3:

5. Section8

Section8 .

that's a good point, and partly why i'm asking here first before bringing it up to them. The only reason i thought it may be more acceptable in this instance is since they were looking to hire a photographer and I'm willing to do it for free if costs can be reimbursed. After Ben's post above though I'm not going to worry about more light, but i had thought about asking for $120 to to rent a 70-200 2.8 :dunno:

6. asdfbunk

:doh: i seriously did not see that you were doing it for free

really sorry dude :o

7. asdfbunk

in that case you would have to talk with them, yes :o if i were getting said service for free i wouldn't mind shelling for extra gear

8. Section8

Section8 .

oh no worries at all, i still think it is a valid point actually :o Like I said above I don't think i'm going to bother with more light, but I may broach the subject of renting the 70-200.

9. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Most wedding photogs do that, some even use bare bulb alien bees! :noes:

10. mojito

mojito New Member

some even use nikons :rofl:

I wouldn't use a bare flash if possible, but if you don't know how to use your flash 100% and all the accessories that go with it, then don't bother. Its one thing to be able to sit there and play around, but when the time comes you have seconds to set everything up and get it going.

You'll want some kind of diffuser and or reflector for other shots though

11. mojito

mojito New Member

I'd want something longer than 70/90

what kind of wireless triggers do you have? how much memory. More than 1 camera? Beg borrow or steal, but you have to have the basics and backups.

shots lists are :greddy:

Just talk it all over ahead of time. Have a point person for the group shots to make sure everyone thats suppose to be in them gets in.

Visit your sites ahead of time to plan it all out, and get the best possible backgrounds

12. Section8

Section8 .

here's my list

SB800
    SB600
    cactus V2s triggers
    D70s
    D300
    18-70mm D70s kit lens
    50mm f/1.8
    10-20mm 3.5-5.6
    28-70 f/2.8
    55-200mm f/4-5.6
    90mm f/2.8

i currently have 2 8gb cards and 1 2gb card, had been planning on buying either 2 4gb cards or 2 8gb cards so as to spread the load out :dunno:

also have a 5 in 1 36" reflector, and a lumipro hotshoe softbox.

13. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

i wouldn't ask them to reimburse you for anything. if you want to borrow/rent a lens, you should do it for yourself ... has nothing to do with them, really.

if i thought i wanted a 24-70 to shoot a free weeding that i was trying to build a portfolio for, i'd be paying for the rental myself.

just my opinion

14. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

:werd:

15. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Hahahaha :Owned:

16. bobasaur

bobasaur New Member

I hate big group shots.

17. Section8

Section8 .

Well the bride to be emailed me this morning and despite my offer to shoot it for free, she is offering to pay me for "time, talent, and travel" (wedding is about 50 miles away from me, but no big deal really)

So the wedding is 2:30, reception @ 4:30, but if i want to shoot the lead up to the wedding, the prep and stuff I imagine it will be more like noon till whenever the reception ends. I don't feel comfortable asking for a lot of money since this would be my first money, but if they're offering to pay me I guess I should ask for something, maybe $150? Maybe I should just ask for gas money and $130 to rent the 70-200 2.8?

18. Section8

Section8 .

Well I decided to just ask her for the gas and lens instead of pay, and she agreed so it's all set. They're even feeding me at the reception. I guess they originally weren't getting a photog at all and were going to have all the guests bring digicams and upload their pictures to a laptop :rofl:

19. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

If the wedding's at 2:30, you'll probably want to be there around 11... or earlier to get the "Prep shots"