GUN I has a reloading press

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

My dad just came back from my grandparent's house a few states away. He brought back boxes of old stuff sitting in the basement, one of which I wanted.

RCBS Jr. 2 press, purchased in 1964.
    Herters .45ACP die set (with box and instruction manual)
    A few other Misc. odds and ends.

I have been waiting to buy a press, and this is exaclty what I've wanted. Basic place to start with a reloading press. Not to mention, it's free and it belonged to my late grandfather (major influence in my life).

Pictures to come tomorrow, when my camera is charged up.

2. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Sweet!

3. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

awesome, dude. I just ran through my first batch today, and it feels really good to shoot ammo that is more accurate, cleaner, and a hell of a lot cheaper than would you could get at the store.

and sentimental value ftw

4. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I've been using a Lee Classic loader for my .308 and my 7.62x54R. I'm fairly certain I will be buying a Lee dieset for my .308, but I need to find a 7.62x54r dieset that has a .311 expander instead of the .308 the Lee comes with. I hear I can use a 303 British expander rod, but I would have to track one down.

5. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd pick up RCBS dies, personally. For 7.62.54R (what I reload) it comes with a .308 and a .311 expander ball. :bigthumb:

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Which series of the dies are you using? Full size or neck. Do they both come with the two resizing cones? Whichever one it is, I might be sold depending on the price.

EDIT: I'm seeing $25+ shipping, I'm sold if it's the full length dieset.

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

gratz man. I'm starting to read up on reloading but I've got a long way to go before I feel comfortable trying it. Be nice to save some money on ammo.

8. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

I think people have a tendency to make more of it than it actually is. reloading (pistol ammo, at least) is really very simple. I mean, you can spend a lifetime learning all the little nuances, but the basics you need to crank out ammo from safe and proven load data you can learn in an afternoon. as a reloading noob, I'm kicking myself for not having started sooner.

careful = comfortable. when I start up a batch, I weigh the charge, measure OAL, and drop every 10th round in a case gauge. after doing that four or five times, I'll set a timer, reload for 6 minutes (equal to 30-35 rounds), stop and take measurements again. if I lose my place and/or think I've double-charged a round, I'll put it in the "rejects" box just to be safe. But that doesn't really happen because I reload when and where there is nothing to distract me.

when I bought my gear, I was tempted, really tempted to spend the money on another gun instead. I could've gotten a decent 1911, something I've always wanted. but I'm so much happier reloading, it was definitely the right choice.

9. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Cool...good to know.

I might be making more of it than I should but being new to guns, the idea of reloading is also quite new to me and it's intimidating. Afterall, the KBs that I've read about seem to all be caused by errors in reloading.