SRS I had supper with my mother tonight

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cerridwen, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

for the first time in I don't know how many years. We sat at McDonalds with our children (she has 12 and 5 year old girls, and my 9 year old daughter) for 3.5 hours talking. It felt really weird to say the least. It felt good. We have been slowly in contact again (spending little bits of time together or on the phone). I am still really nervous and unable to truly let down my guard with her (which I doubt will ever happen again to be honest).
    Just a little 'update' for those of you who know my story.

2. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

Good for you. Keep going, the meetings will get better.

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

She asked me out for supper again next Friday night.

I just find it really hard to trust her after all she's put me through. I know my husband isn't going to be happy with this at all either.

4. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

Just take it as you are right now slow. Trust is a big thing to regain and it can take a long time, and to heal wounds you might not have known you had. Have you talked it over with him?

5. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

He knows we have been talking. While he isn't not supportive about it, he isn't exactly supportive either. I think he just doesn't want to see me hurt again.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I guess its a good sign, is your mom still drinking or has she quit entirely now?
    If so i would definitly try to give her another chance tho, with the proper amount of sceptisism of course. Maby she is really making an attempt to reconsile with you. In such a case its understandable, i mean no one wants to live in a state of martial law with their mother right? Hopefully good communication and constructive talks will help you two get more or less back in one line with eachother. Although the wounds and scars of the past will always be there. It might give oppertunity to forgive, and have a more decent relationship with eachother that you two can have compared to what you two had before.

7. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

She is an Alcohol and Drug Abuse counselor now and working towards her bachelors degree. She claims to have been clean now for about 4-5 years. I truly believe that she is working towards a better life for the two that still live with her.
    What is the proper about of skepticism? How do I know how leery to be?

8. Create

Create :free at last:

If she's recovering be honest with her about your distrust. It would not be the first time she's head it. If she's really recovering, she won't be mad at you for expressing that feeling.

I kinda sorta know the situation. Next Friday seems kinda soon, especially if you havn't talked to the hubby yet.