I had my Jeep washed at this place today...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by TopGun113, Dec 17, 2009.

1. TopGun113

TopGun113 Winning

Do their rates look reasonable to you experts?

http://www.simonsshineshop.com/services.html

They're rated the best in the Chicago area. Only disappointment was they missed some tar in one spot... I guess if I paid for a full detail I would take it back, but since I just had a basic wash I'll let it go.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Paint correction service looks a little cheap since the pricing includes 4 coats of wax and interior detailing, unless they upcharge for multiple step corrections. Otherwise pricing seems inline with what a higher end detail costs. Just not sure how good detailing services are at a place that also does volume washing. Most don't do very good details.

I'd go by and see what their details look like in the sun. If they are advertising paint correction, it should look like this in the sun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another alternative is here: http://www.autopia.org/find-professional-detailer/

3. TopGun113

TopGun113 Winning

Yeah I didn't get a chance to see their full detail work or paint correction. The couple times they've washed/waxed my car, I thought they did great. Even just doing the handwash, windows, wheels and tires today it took them about 1/2 hour.

It's a large shop with different bays for each step (they drive it through and different guys work on each step of each vehicle) so I don't know how much time they dedicate to the buffing/polishing. That's the kind of thing I prefer to do myself, but living in this city in the winter I just don't have a place to do it.

Those are pretty pictures btw :drool:

4. TopGun113

TopGun113 Winning

Plus the Jeep was FILTHY from a recent 1200 mile trip, so my main concern was getting the salt/road filth off the paint and wheels. I paid $24.99 with a $5 tip and probably would have paid that much just to have the windows washed, they were so filthy. :hs:

5. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Can't attest to any of their work, but:

I looked over the site, shop, press, pricing/services and I'm not absolutely floored by many business plans; but that is an impressive model. Fixed location with 3K cars/mo, 9K sq ft shop- very good numbers for somewhere that provides hand washing and upper tier packages. :cool:

6. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Very impressed.
    There is power in numbers, both in the volume of the shop and in employees. I like their pricing as well. Their shop/showroom is top notch as well.

Good find.

7. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I knew someone else would appreciate that as a business and not just as a detailing facility. Even if their average retail sale per car is as little as $75 with 3K/month that place must break the bank; pricing and using P21S/Megs/Zymol etc it looks as if it doesn't sacrifice quality either. :envy:

High volume + High end = :bowdown:

8. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

My math was kicking it too! Wonder what his overhead is with the rent and advertising?

9. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

That place does look very impressive. Not the type of detailing business I would want to run, or could run in the area I'm in, but it's a very good concept.

10. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I don't know about Chicago commercial property, but in Hartford, a much smaller city a building that size in a fitting location would be $6500/mo easily. With a customer pool about 9X the size of here I'd probably need a loan just to pay the first/last/sec :rofl:

Couldn't do it here either, maybe downstate on the NY border; but big business and the stress to accompany it isn't my goal. On a side note I not only survived my first official year of operation under the new name- but turned a decent profit for a start-up. Could have easily afforded and aspired to do twice as much work, but that will come soon enough I think.

Wishing every owner/operator in this forum good luck in 2010 :x:

11. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I too was thinking about the stress. I'd say 85% of his business is high end cars. That, coupled with the amount of employees it takes to handle all of that, could lead to some sleepless nights.

But hey, some love that!

12. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Comfortable salary with low stress > More money than I need and living to work. IMHO.

That said, if I could make exorbitant amounts of money working part time you know I would- but that's an egg that few get to crack.

13. Scottwax

My brother has a growing computer business. Full office staff and 7 techs and he still works 80 hours a week. He has a tough time fully letting go and delegating the work. I'd probably be the same way with a large detail shop because very few people have my standards when it comes to detailing (present company excluded, of course ;) ).

14. quamen

quamen New Member

i would love to get 500 bucks for a full detail anyday.

15. Scottwax

Just have to find the right customers.

16. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

It's all about finding the right market. Get in with car clubs or real detail enthusiasts who appreciate that level of work and you can command an hourly rate that will easily surpass $500 for a full detail.

17. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I would rather get two 250.00 details with 2 customers instead of one.

18. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

SO TRUE LAB!!!

19. BlazinBlazer Guy

:werd: I'm trying to get in with a few clubs; the only problem is that almost NONE of them are based in the area where I usually do work. Around here it seems that car clubs just don't exist, or are made up of young guys who can't afford to pay for serious detailing on that kind of level.

20. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I tried getting into a few clubs as well, was invited to their semi-private meets, sponsored a clay bar raffle/giveway, gave some advice, etc.

Had a few nice Sundays with them, but these 15+ Ferrari guys still go to some old school dude with a Craftsman bonnet jiggler. :o

21. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

For a 25 foot boat I charged $500 for a wash, oxidation remover and polish with 1 coat of wax . Topside was washed and metal work was touched up . Took me 4 hours. Gelcoat is easy to work with,

22. BlazinBlazer Guy

Boat and RV owners are typically a different story than just regular car and truck owners; they generally DO have the means to afford paying higher prices for maintaining their toys, and don't have as many qualms about doing so. Again, it all depends on the market you're in.

23. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

That is true and I was 1 of 2 detailers in a 50 mile region I had people begging me to do there boats offering to pay for a hotel room all expenses etc..

24. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

At those prices, customers are so picky that the "you missed this and you missed that" slow down your $/per hour.

The most money in detailing is a large crew doing hack work for $160 retail and $110 wholesale.

And if you really want to make money, open a car wash.