Last May, I was in Goa. I woke up, I went for a swim maybe in the ocean and maybe in the pool I can't remember. I had lunch, and I got on my rickety single speed bike with half flat tires and rode forty miles, twice the length of Salcete. I congratulated myself by drinking a bottle and a half of Urak. Urak is a local brew of the Cashew fruit. It comes in used whiskey bottles with the cap removed and costs something like $2 US. It goes well with Limca and lime. Urak sometimes contains methanol, because the process of removing the 'bottoms' in distlilling requires careful temperature control. One hears that people are blinded every year. The next day I was hungover, but I had several of those a week at that time. I recovered well enough for dinner. The next day I fell ill and felt like I was dying. The rain came, the roads were washed out, the pharmacy was closed that day... it was scary. My stomach hurt terribly. I shit, and I shit, and I shit my guts out until I was empty and then I shit some more, just little mucus shits dropping in the pot. I puked until I couldn't puke anymore. I didn't eat anything, save the rehydration salts that saved my life, for 3 entire days. I got dizzy. I was confused. The neighbor who got me rehydration salts got me an antibiotic. I took it. I thought I had Typhus. I thought I had lowered my immune system from the stress of the long ride and the alcohol. But I didn't. I had methanol poisoning. I didn't know there was a delay because of the ethanol already in the system. I had about a 36 hour delay. I could have died. Again. I didn't know any of this until just now, when I was reading wikipedia about vodka, and decided to look up about methanol, to see if there was any connection with my illness. A little more research and here I am. I'm through with booze. For good. After that happened, I swore off booze for 4 months, but started occasional drinking, and the occasional binge after that. I figured my cycling and the drinking had fucked my immune system up and made me succeptible to a parasite in the water (I got parasites later). Turns out, it was the methanol.