SRS I Had Methanol Poisoning

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Peyomp, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Peyomp

    Peyomp New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2002
    Messages:
    14,017
    Likes Received:
    0
    Last May, I was in Goa. I woke up, I went for a swim maybe in the ocean and maybe in the pool I can't remember. I had lunch, and I got on my rickety single speed bike with half flat tires and rode forty miles, twice the length of Salcete.

    I congratulated myself by drinking a bottle and a half of Urak. Urak is a local brew of the Cashew fruit. It comes in used whiskey bottles with the cap removed and costs something like $2 US. It goes well with Limca and lime.

    Urak sometimes contains methanol, because the process of removing the 'bottoms' in distlilling requires careful temperature control. One hears that people are blinded every year.

    The next day I was hungover, but I had several of those a week at that time. I recovered well enough for dinner. The next day I fell ill and felt like I was dying. The rain came, the roads were washed out, the pharmacy was closed that day... it was scary. My stomach hurt terribly. I shit, and I shit, and I shit my guts out until I was empty and then I shit some more, just little mucus shits dropping in the pot. I puked until I couldn't puke anymore. I didn't eat anything, save the rehydration salts that saved my life, for 3 entire days. I got dizzy. I was confused.

    The neighbor who got me rehydration salts got me an antibiotic. I took it. I thought I had Typhus. I thought I had lowered my immune system from the stress of the long ride and the alcohol.

    But I didn't. I had methanol poisoning.

    I didn't know there was a delay because of the ethanol already in the system. I had about a 36 hour delay. I could have died. Again. I didn't know any of this until just now, when I was reading wikipedia about vodka, and decided to look up about methanol, to see if there was any connection with my illness. A little more research and here I am.

    I'm through with booze. For good. After that happened, I swore off booze for 4 months, but started occasional drinking, and the occasional binge after that. I figured my cycling and the drinking had fucked my immune system up and made me succeptible to a parasite in the water (I got parasites later). Turns out, it was the methanol.
     
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  2. Jadix

    Jadix The Nice Guy

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2006
    Messages:
    7,877
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thats some scary shit man! I'm glad you're ok.
     
  3. eligh

    eligh Go To A Meeting

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2004
    Messages:
    1,532
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    California
    So are you still drinking?
     
  4. arpz

    arpz New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2005
    Messages:
    108
    Likes Received:
    0
    Wow, that is very scary.

    When I was younger (originally from india) we went to Goa before it became commercialized. It's such a beautiful place and I can definitely see myself making the same mistake. Just to clarify, methanol is alcohol from wood, and ethanol is alcohol from grains? What liquors are made from wood alcohol? Is absynthe methanol? I have heard of many deaths in Prague from real absynthe, that's why the real stuff is very hard to get nowdays.
     
  5. Peyomp

    Peyomp New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2002
    Messages:
    14,017
    Likes Received:
    0
    Right, but I didn't know there would be a delay of onset... I thought I was sick from food/water. It was the ethanol in my blood that caused the delay of onset of symptoms.

    Urak often contains methanol (wood alcohol) because it is brewed by locals. You're fine as long as you don't suck down a couple bottles. American Whiskey actually contains about 1% methanol.

    And no, I'm not drinking.
     

Share This Page