MIL I had a chat with an army recruiter today

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by springy101, Sep 11, 2008.

1. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

One of the things he told me that was unique to the army was that when you select the job you want to do, as long as you complete basic training and qualify for it you are going to get that job, it's guaranteed. I'm not sure if he's just making shit up to coax me into joining or telling me the truth, but the only way I would even think of joining the Army would be if I got to choose a job and be guaranteed that job, I'm a computer guy, not a grunt, and I would like it to stay that way.

2. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

For the most part, he is telling you the truth. I signed up for 74C (Telecommunications Operator). It then changed to 25C, then merged with 25B. Anyway....I didn't do my real job (what I was taught in AIT) until the last year of enlistment. Depending on where you go.....you are a soldier first. So, you will get your job, just don't expect for it to be your only one. I did COMSEC for the first 2 yrs.

3. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

im not sure about the army but for the navy, I would get EVERYTHING on writing to be guaranteed.

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

All of the services are like this. It is not unique to the Army. WHat he doesn't tell you is if you get held back in basic or fail technical training... ...you get what they want you to have.

Go talk to the Navy recruiter and the AF recruiter and see if they tell you the same thing.

I believe the Navy has a rate that does not have any technical skill... you choose what you want to do after serving for a while. Navy guys help me out.

5. burton564

burton564 New Member

I don't know about air force tech school, but they pretty much make it impossible to fail army AIT, its taught at a whole 8th grade level. I saw a kid who failed backing up in 88m school like half a dozen times, until the instructor jumped on the door of the cab and pretty much did it for him. He still passed.

6. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

You get to pick your MOS as long as you qualify
    you will go to AIT for the MOS you choose
    when you get to your unit you may not do your MOS

i worked in the orderly room for 9 months when i got to my unit, now i'm finally doing my MOS
    none of my friends from AIT worked in their MOS when they first got to their units, most still don't

7. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

Boatswain's Mate is the rating ur talking about I believe. That job is painting the boat, mopping floors and just being the all around boat utility man I believe. No guarantee that you will be able to pick the rating you want if you go in as Boatswain's Mate tho.

8. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

9. Jyokker

The AF likes to consider itself more technical than all of the other services. I don't buy into it, but it does show up in some tech schools. It depends on how difficult the job is to do. EOD has a huge washout rate because it is an extremely dangerous job. My class washed out three out of 30 I believe. The class behind us washed out around 15. I'm not EOD, I'm just COMM.

10. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

its not a rate you pick, you work WITH the boatswains mates, or the aviations boatswains mates as an 'undesignated' which means you wont go above e3 until you finish up some time with them and pick a rate. you can pick a number of rates where you simply just start working with them to get OJT and then qualify and test for E4 in that rate, and some where you can actually just get a school and leave your command to attend it...its not a very glamorous program though, undes guys hate life...

11. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

sounds like some1 needs to visit an AF recruiter.

The only people who should go army are those either dedicated to infantry, leading the infantry or just really really really like the idea of being infantry/infantry related roles and having a dual role as whatever else it is they want to be. AF lets u do your role more than anything else. In the AF, after security forces, civil engineering is the 2nd line of defense...

Just a rough IMO, not necessarily the right opinion.

12. themacstallion

themacstallion The electric sheep are dreaming up your fate

yeah you get the job you sign up for, as long as you don't flunk out of AIT

13. c.a

c.a New Member

We failed 35 out of 50 in mine... so i guess af tech school is a little harder than army

14. WildBull

WildBull Guest

what does "being a soldier first" mean, anyways?

15. Jyokker

Convoy duty.