SRS I guess this is just life and I have to accept it...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by El Frito Bandito, Jun 14, 2006.

1. El Frito Bandito

El Frito Bandito Active Member

[FONT=&quot]This thread I'm sure will be like all the others in the Asylum, a 21 year old kid feeling as though the world is crashing around him, but I just feel like I need to write my story as it will make me feel better.

I had lived all my life in New Orleans and though it was not perfect it was comfortable, I had friends and family and a girl friend that I shared a special bond with (though I knew that it would never work out). Then Katrina came along and destroyed my life. I really hate to say it destroyed my life because I know a lot of families that lost everything including family members and I only lost worldly goods. It makes me feel like a shithead to say it destroyed my life, but it really has. As a result of the hurricane my immediate family (mom, dad, and myself) moved to Kansas City as my parents were fortunate enough to find jobs there and we began start over. I joined a small school up there www.stmary.edu (I had previously attended www.uno.edu) and began to get my shit together. Life was very different there, people were concerned for me but I was essentially alone. I made a few acquaintances at school and did ok the two semesters I spent there but I was generally not accepted as it was a jock school and I'm a shy intellectual. Well, to make a long story short my parents moved to Charlotte in March (and my missed my birthday, I love spending birthdays alone) and I followed suit after the semester ended. I have been here 3 weeks and have started a job and I am searching for a school, but life is just a blur right now. I stay up late at night and watch tv and sleep all day unless I have to work lunch. I know what its like to be absolutely alone now. Sure I have a few "friends" at work, but they are all 6 or so years older than me and have there own lives ect. I see no purpose of waking up in the morning other than to go make more money that I can spend on useless worldly things. I have my parents and aunt here, but family love only helps so much. I have gone to a shrink and they diagnosed me with PKSS (Post Katrina Stress Syndrome) but I just think that is a load of crap and some sort of joke to make some money off me. They gave me some pills but I refuse to take them. I don’t know.

This is just a rant so I will stop here. I know this goes against asylum policy but go ahead and respond to this in whatever way you want to. Tell me to quit bitching ect. if you want. The only reason I have typed this is it makes me feel better to know that people are reading what I'm writing. Thanks everyone for reading. :sadwavey:[/FONT]

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Dude...I think what you're going through is very normal. The world as you once knew it has been blown apart and the pieces of your life scattered. It sounds like you are really lonely and need some friends.

Perhaps you should join some school groups...like groups in your major or something. Maybe even join the debate team or whatever sounds interesting to you.

Anthony Robbins has a great saying and idea that I use a lot when I get down. He says your focus determines your reality. It seems as if you are focusing on all the negative in your life. When I do that, I'm unable to focus on the postive things that are right in front of me. So...I must force myself to change my focus to see the positive in my life.

Also, exercise really helps. Do push ups or go for a bike ride or a long walk. What ever physical activity you like, just start doing that. Set a schedule and stick to it....start lifting things around the house. It really does help straighten out emotions and stuff like that.

Bottom line...hang in there. This too shall pass. You are just going through a difficult time.

3. El Frito Bandito

El Frito Bandito Active Member

I plan on joining some stuff like that when I find a school, but even still I have like 2 months before school starts. It's going to suck ass starting a new school for the 3rd time.

4. Coottie

Why?? What makes it suck?? Could you be focusing on the negative again?

When I'm heading into a new situation like this I have negative thoughts but I just ignore them and look at the good. Try focusing on how fun it'll be to have a whole new set of friends that you didn't know before. Or perhaps finding a b/f or g/f or the experience of just meeting new people. Or the courses you'll be taking or the groups you look forward to joining. It doesn't HAVE to suck...that is a choice you make. You can CHOOSE to make it great...but it really is up to you. Even if you don't believe it.

Someone once said that there is something interesting about everyone!!! We just have to work harder to see it in some people.

Oh and until you go back...how about you join a church. They have all sorts of activities for ppl to meet..or perhaps a local video game group (if you're into that) you don't have to wait to start looking for new friends. You can start tomorrow.

5. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

A saying I like to go by is "When one door closes, another one opens." The door on your old life has closed, new ones are opening. Are you going to continue to just pass them by and continue down the lonely hallway or are you going to go into an open door and find out what waits for you?

6. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

:werd:

I like the way you think.

7. Coottie

As do I.