SRS I guess kind of a success story: Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kamisama, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Kamisama

Kamisama Guest

So, I used to suffer from severe social anxiety disorder. I pretty much reclused for 2 years after high school ended. 6 months of trying different combinations of meds and therapy, I am pretty much comfortable in any public/social situation. I've started going to the gym, and it's just awesome to be able to go into a huge room full of people exercising and feel totally comfortable. It's nice to be able to finally work, and live indepently, and meet people and get invited to parties and such.

This is me now, I recently got my ears pierced, 14 guage :mamoru:

[​IMG][​IMG]

The before and after in the second picture doesn't refer to when I had anxiety and after it went away. It when I had hair then shaves myself to the scalp. I'm not completely satisfied with the way I look, so could any of you give some suggestions, thanks :)

But life isn't perfect. I usually find myself annoyed after being at a party for a while. I don't know what it is, but conversations with people usually leave me agitated. I don't think I'm anti-social, because I am quick to feel real lonely when I'm by myself. I guess I just need to find the right people to hang out with.

Leisure activities. I used to absolutely love playing paintball, but the industry has changed in the past years. I hate where the sport has turned. Everyone just owns really fast guns and shoots a million balls per second, it just isn't fun anymore. I love automobile racing, but my "racing" car is still broken down at my parents house, and even if I do get it running, it still has a lot of problems, it would be a big investment to try to jump into racing if say I want to start going to school or something. Video games.... don't do too much for me. The only things I can think of are possibly getting a dirtbike, and skiing/snowboarding in the winter. If someone has any suggestions please do tell :bigthumb:

For others suffering from anxiety problems? You need to seek help, period. It is important that you get both a Psychiatrist and a Psychologist. A psychiatrist evaluates you and prescribes meds and tries to find the right combination. You have to be patient, these type of meds can really be hit or miss. It took me 6 months to find the right combination of meds. A psychologist, aka therapist, will do things like cognitive and behaviourial therapy and such. I did group therapy and have an individual therapist, and group therapy was the best. In group therapy, there is one psychologist, and a bunch of other people suffering crisis' [rape, divorce, suicide, depression, anxiety, co-depency, drugs, etc. etc.] and you become friends with everyone. Everyday the psychologist gives a lesson, then everyone takes their turn talking about their problems and the past few days. Everyone and the psychologist gives input and support. The first two times I went, I was like :ugh: This isn't going to help me. But 2 months later, I was hella glad I stuck around.

Well, that's all I have to say for now :)

2. beanolo

beanolo It does a body good!!!1

Nice man. :big grin:

I used to play paintball pretty frequently before as well, but eventually I just couldn't keep up with the cost of the game.. and would always get killed early by the ppl who had the expensive stuff.

Keep it up man :big grin:

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

:bigthumb:

keep up the good work. Definitly a winner.

4. LudaMan

LudaMan Active Member

I have a social anxiety problem too. Example: Last night, I was at a party. When I'm around my normal two friends, I act like me. But when we were at that party, I got quiet, especially when this smokin hot chick came in wearing a little red skirt with devil horns. My friends try to help me with it, but its feels like im trying to climb a huge wall. If i get over that wall, im myself and fun again, but i cant seem to get over it. Maybe i should try therapy. Thanks! :)