GUN I got to shoot a Sig 552 today

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by D-FENS, Oct 2, 2005.

1. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

That gun is fucking incredible. There was a big celebration/memorial dedication at my club, and among the many festivites, there was alot of guns at the machine gun range. One of them being a Sig 552. I asked the owner how he got his hands on it, turns out he's a Class 3 dealer. The club bought a several cases of ammo, and people were free to shoot whatever gun they want. I grabbed a box of .223, loaded up the 20 round Sig mag, put it in, and had fun. I set it on full auto, and fired in 3 and 4 round bursts, and I was amazed. It had a 9" barrel, yet it was as easy to control in FA as an M16 with a 20" barrel.

There was a number of other machine guns - AK47, 2 M16s (1 w/ supressor), 2 MAC-11s (1 w/ supressor), Uzi, STG44, and a Glock 34 converted to select fire. At the 100 yard range, they had 2 MG42s, which are the most impressive beltfeds I've ever seen. I tried out an Ultimate Accuracy .50, the recoil kicked my ass. I was leaning into it, the gun tight as can be against my shoulder, and it still pushed me back a foot every time I shot. I tried another .50 at the 50 yard range, which wasn't nearly as bad, probably because the recoil pad was about 3 inches thick. I also got to try out an M1 Garand tanker, an AK74 (semi), and a SPAS-12. While I still think the SPAS looks pretty badass, I'd take a Remington 1187 over the SPAS in a heartbeat. The SPAS cycled way too slow, and felt like it was about to fall apart.

Best of all, all shooting was free. My gun club rocks.

2. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

I want to shoot a Madniggerish42. :o

3. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Nothing beats shooting for free

4. HorrorBusiness

HorrorBusiness Active Member

Sounds like a lot of fun! I would love a chance to get my hands on any of the Sig 550 series.

5. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I'd like to too, but they weren't letting anyone shoot those but the guys that owned them. Just being near both of those guns when they're shooting at 1200rpm each is awesome enough for me.

6. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

The import ban and '86 MG ban must go!

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

The 550 series is cool, but they're definitely not better firearms than the AR/M16 series of firearms. They're incredibly complicated to break down, and they're no more accurate or reliable. They're heavy as shit for what they are, and the ergonomics are not as good.

That said, they're still cool. They look awesome, shoot well, and are fun. They'll never replace the AR at all, but would make a good addition to the collection.

8. footratfunkface

They cannot possibly ever be more accurate than the AR/M16 series of rifles, simply based on the way the two rifles operate. I can guarantee that your father's percieved difference in accuracy is either due to individual lack of skill, or from a bad experience with one or two M16/AR's.

The simple fact of the matter is that when it comes to semi-automatic rifles, the gas and lockup system on the AR is, hands down, the most accurate you can get out of anything in .223/5.56. This is based on how long the rifle stays locked up after the gas impulse. The Sig rifles are based on an AK action, but with two locking lugs instead of the AK's three. What this means is that the bolt not only doesn't lock as tightly as an AR's, but it also unlocks and moves sooner as well. This results in decreased chamber and bore pressures, which result in lower accuracy. For the same reason that AK's will never be match-grade in anyone's wildest dreams, a Sig 55x series will never be as accurate as its AR/M16 equivalent.

Also working against the Sig rifles are the combination of higher recoil due to the gas piston operation, and the WAY outdated AK-style magazine release. That's such an old, slow design that I really can't believe they'd keep it around for a modern rifle. Ergonomically, weight-wise, recoil-wise, and accuracy-wise, the Sigs are beaten out by the AR family. They're also a shitload more expensive, more complicated to clean/disassemble/replace parts, and they're not readily capable of accepting any of the modern-day combat rifle accessories that the AR/M16 series and nearly every other practical firearm these days is capable of using.

That's not to say that it sucks. It's just not BETTER. The accuracy is fine for a combat rifle. It's not a match gun. Most AR's aren't either, but they're more accurate than the Sig rifles, even at Milspec quality.

9. Zidane

Zidane OT Supporter

wow lucky u:) man would really wana shoot a mg42 and an stg44

10. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Play a lot of video games?

11. footratfunkface

This may be a very important factor in the accuracy, but the 552 has a two-stage trigger, stock. That alone would have a great deal to do with the increased accuracy. Put a good two-stage trigger in an AR, and it'll do better than the 552. Also, maybe it's because of a lack of full-auto shooting on your part, but the 552 recoils about like a 16" AR with some weight on it. It's not quite as easy as a 20" Gov't profile to control. There is still a moderate amount of muzzle flip.

Also, until I see someone's skills firsthand or hear about them from someone whose evaluation I trust, I don't care if you tell me the dude was an instructor at the JFK Special Warfare College at Ft. Bragg. His being a SWAT officer/instructor doesn't mean anything to me, because I've seen how some SWAT guys shoot, including SWAT "snipers." It's not always all it's cracked up to be. This is not an attack on your father, I'm just saying that I temper reviews of skill with the fact that it's a subjective evaluation of the shooter by another, UNTRAINED shooter.