SRS I got the surgical procedure to end my blushing problem!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by t-t-t-today, May 9, 2009.

1. t-t-t-today

t-t-t-today New Member

I tried seeing a therapist to cure my pathological facial blushing problem along with all the social phobia that came about because of it. He put me on meds and I paid him $330 for that.....waste of money. I always thought to myself if I got this surgical procedure called "Endoscopic Thoracic Sympathectomy", then it would stop my blushing and my social phobia would wash away as well.

The therapist told me that it would be wrong for me to assume that, as well as a handful of other people.

Well, today (05/08/09) I went through with the surgical procedure. I think it has cured me because I went out in public and didn't blush in front of people. And almost immediately I could feel my social anxiety start washing away. The anxiety is still there, but I'm 99% certain that it will go away as soon as my though process gets reprogrammed that I will no longer blush in front of people anymore.

Today feels like it is the start of my new life. I'm happy and relieved.

2. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

Congratulations, that's awesome. I can only hope that I can fix my problems in as timely a manner as you have. I'm very jealous, I must admit.:bowdown:

3. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Congrats! :)

4. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

What a great outcome. Good luck :)

5. Nick Gerz

Nick Gerz OT Supporter

:bowdown: to you

6. JBunni

JBunni New Member

wow, i didnt even know you could have surgery for that kind of thing. Congrats. It sounds really successful

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Not sure why you'd be embarassed about being embarassed, but if you are and if there really was no feasible way to un-learn that behavior, then I guess you made the right choice.

8. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

Dang, I didn't think blushing was bad at all. I think it's kind of cute. :hs:

9. 7960

7960 New Member

I had to google it. It's not learned behavior so it's not something that can be unlearned.

The surgery involved severing nerves............scary shit.

10. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I'm excited for you. You made a decision and you did what you felt was right. See, you don't hate yourself! You helped yourself. Still, remember what I said. Keep going, keep taking care of yourself and keep working on what's going on inside your mind.

You can do it, you're not a quitter.

11. Ivan

Ivan New Member

Congrats!!! Good to see that you are looking for things that will make you happy. I'm sure this is the start of many other things to start feeling comfortable with your life.

12. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

Well, here's to you not developing another problem now because of this one getting fixed. I wonder what you'll do when you start farting uncontrollably in public!

I personally think that that you wasted money and that this is pseudo-scientific bullshit medicine, but if this is what you are doing to take care of yourself, have at it!.

13. 7960

7960 New Member

and you've done how much research on it?

:jerkit:

14. deusexaethera

I still want to know why blushing in public is something to be embarassed about. It seems to me, if anyone asked, you could've said "it's a reflex, I was born with it, I just blush for no good reason sometimes" and move on. Even if it was happening for no reason, your reaction to it was still within your conscious control.

Not that it matters now, of course. The problem is that getting plastic surgery to hide imperfections is a very slippery slope -- just ask Michael Jackson.

15. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

I think there are some things that cause severe psychological problems that if they can be fixed with surgery, should be fixed with surgery. For example, if you were a guy and had breasts, you'd probably want them removed because they'd cause you psychological problems. For him, blushing uncontrollably was causing problems and so he got it fixed.

16. deusexaethera

I understand what you're trying to say, but there is a difference of an order of magnitude between someone who blushes a lot and a dude with breasts. In that case, breasts are a sexual feature, and people have very strong instinctive reactions to sexual features, which in turn strongly influences their reactions. People don't react nearly so strongly to blushing. I know for my part, if someone blushes, it only means anything at all to me if I know they've done something embarassing in the first place -- otherwise, fuck if I know, maybe they're just having a hot flash. I might notice it, but even if I do, I don't dwell on it.

It seems to me like a particularly bad case of spotlight syndrome, which I'm sure the blushing was making worse, but nonetheless the best solution to spotlight syndrome is to turn the spotlight off -- I think the OP was grossly overestimating people's reactions to the blushing, if in fact they reacted at all.

17. polishillusion

Oh, as an observation, I've read 2 meta-analyzes on facial surgery regarding "Endoscopic Thoracic Sympathectomy" and 3 independent reports via "Medline" journal that says that medicine and therapy could work on the problem, or that there is no problem at all.

I do believe that this person could have done a lot more with himself in the "emotional" aspect of this issue, because I know tons of people who are red as beets their entire lives and never get surgeries. Sounds like he was seeing a therapist and that he did all he was willing to do that way, so I hope he feels his money was put to good use.

18. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

This condition is not simply a "blushing" issue. It's a physiological condition in which other symptoms can persist along with the blushing, including symptoms similar to extreme panic or anxiety. It's not the same type of blushing the average person experiences.

For others who are following this thread:

The author wrote a self-help book (audio book) that he's shared with others. Whether or not it's useful, I don't know, but one thing is clear, he knows what you're going through.

Another website with information that may be helpful is: http://www.facialblush.com/articles.html

19. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

It's important to offer encouragement in The Asylum to people who actually make a decision to help themselves, whether or not you agree with the route they took. Debate regarding controversy over the route itself can be discussed on On-Topic. This forum is for support, not debate.

The TS understands (There is another thread on this issue pre-surgery) that there some psychological aspects of his life (independent issues from the Blushing) that will need ongoing treatment in counseling. People are complex and often need multiple modalities to help them achieve balance and a higher quality of life.

20. 7960

7960 New Member

to you.

life is easy when you get to look at the other guy and say "his problems aren't so bad."

21. Daria

Daria New Member

words of wisdom and truth

:h5: to the thread starter. I'm so happy for you. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

22. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

Exactly.:bowdown:

23. deusexaethera

I wasn't aware of the other thread.

That's fine then. As long as he didn't think it was going to be a quick fix by itself, that was my only concern.

24. t-t-t-today

t-t-t-today New Member

Hi guys just a quick update:

I've been going out in public and have been blush free since the operation. My anxiety has just melted away like a snowball in summer. I'm a different person now. I got my confidence back, i'm feeling more positive, and i'm just really relaxed when i'm around people now. Being relaxed allows me not only to BE MYSELF, but also to focus on the conversation at hand instead of on trying to avoid attention so I don't blush. It's great! I feel liberated.

Only thing that sucks is that my girlfriend broke up with me 3 weeks before the operation. Even though i'm happy as hell my blushing problem is over, I'm still feeling miserable that she's gone. I'm gonna start a thread about that in the vag though.

Thanks for the support!

25. polishillusion

You are not a different person. You could have had the same results without a surgery. Good thing it worked for you.