SRS I got screwed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DrK_Mrk_iV, May 14, 2008.

1. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

Here's my situation. I'm in college and live(d) with 4 other guys in a 5 bedroom house. At the time it was cheap and right next to school. I put all the bills in my name. We moved in december. Fast forward a couple of months. None of my roomates pay any of the bills because they spend their money on drugs. The house became a total dump and had people constantly coming in and out. For the most part I was cool with whatever they were doing, but still. Not paying for bills, rent, etc. I got an internship for the summer and moved to another city. I'm over 1500 in CC debt because I had to use that card to pay bills.

So there's the backround story. Now the thing is, when I move back home I do NOT want to live in that house again. For some odd reason, they think I'm going to come back and live in that house for the rest of our lease. I have no plans on it. However, they all owe me several hundred dollars each. How do I go about getting this money? Or handling the overall situation. I'm basically broke for the entire summer to pay off their bills.

On the upside, ever since I moved out I have never felt this good about life and myself.

2. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

if everything is in your name and they're not even on the lease you're pretty screwed

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

If the house is all under your name then kick their stupid asses out and chalk it up to you screwing yourself.

4. stormywaters

stormywaters Tornadoes are just wind...

If you don't have it written down legally somewhere these guys are not going to have to pay you back. Learn your lesson now, only sign your name on YOUR things and YOUR things only.

5. iwishyouwerebeer

That and don't pick a bunch of druggies lowlifes to live with you. And if you do pick them anyway then stick your foot down and tell them to pay up immediately or they'll be kicked out. You're the one who let them not pay for months, of course they're going to use you.

6. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

All of our names are on the lease. Quite frankly, our landlord is some scum bag trying to make some money in the rental market... We signed this generic contract. I'm not concerned about the lease. I'm just going not come back to the house in the fall (when school starts) and find another place to live. As of right now the utilities are under my name. Should I just call them and cancel it? Without me there they obviously won't get paid and could screw my credit. I just want some way to get back some money from these guys...

7. iwishyouwerebeer

How is that even a question? :ugh:

Yes, call and cancel the utilities there RIGHT now. You are not living there, so why pay for all of them and ruin your credit more?

You're most likely never going to get your money back, hence "chalk it up to screwing yourself" and learn from it so it never happens again.

Props to getting out though and feeling better about yourself.

8. Plasma

Plasma New Member

If you never asked (as you said) for money for bills before, you can't turn around and ask for it now.

Just phone up and say "I need someone else to take over utilities bills", give them a deadline, and if nots not in someone else's name by then cut it off.

9. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

I don't want to go into too much depth, but 3 of the roomates are druggies. I didn't know this of course before I moved in, but whatever. The other one isn't. He pays me more or less on time. As well as one of the druggies. Good idea on giving them a deadline. I'll do that as soon as I get off work.

10. Dio Seijuro

Dio Seijuro New Member

Just curious. Why did you pay the bills and rent for everybody else in the first place, thinking that you'll get your money back? Or were you just concerned about everyone getting kicked out together a little more than everybody else?

11. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

I wasn't paying their rent. I helped out one of my buddy's one month. He paid me back save 80 dollars or so. Well, see. I like having electricity and water and heat. Like a dumbass I put these under my name and I got the responsibility.

I guess I thought some of these guys were my friends, but really they're just druggies that will say anything to get their fix. I got tired of hanging around people who's greatest asperation was to graduate community college. Good people are hard to find. I just figured if I was nice enough to front them a little money they would have the common decency to pay me back in a timely manner. Evidently not though...

12. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

You should have been asking for their portions at the end of the first month.

And, like people have already said, if you aren't living their, call the utility companies and cancel the services. It's their problem to find and pay for services they need, not yours.

You call everyone else losers, call the landlord a scumbag, but you're not looking like a shining example of humanity yourself.

Why did you not pursue this earlier? Why did you not ask for their contributions when the first bills came? Why did you not cancel the services when you moved out.

13. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

I never said I didn't. It's just hard to get money from someone who has none. Sure, I would get a little money here and there. Ala weekly payments sometimes...

True.

Thanks dad. No, really. I don't baselessly call people names unless it is warrented. In this case all of the above deserve it. Several things in the house are broken. You know, small stuff like leaking pipes, non continuous water pressure, little to no hot water, half of the electric outlets not working... He simply wont come fix it.

I don't want to be a shining example of humanity. I've got too much damn work to do in the meantime. I was working 30 hours a week at a body shop, going to school full time (double major in econ and mech. engineering). I was also getting over a horrible fucking breakup. I simply did not have the time or energy to deal with this problem. I knew it was going to bite me in the ass, but at the time I was just looking one day ahead...

Read above. I guess you could say I'm a trusting person? Not anymore of course.

14. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

in for conclusion

15. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I think you felt bad for them, which is a truelly human emotion of compassion. However , pitty can sometimes be a form of self destruction, and you are obliged to protect yourself from their negative vicious downward going spirals, and escape from this black hole by cutting yourself loose.

16. ASoT

ASoT New Member

Give the landlord your 30 day notice of leaving. Call up your "friends" and tell them you need them to pay you the money they owe you NOW. Keep bugging them about it. Call every day. If you don't receive the money within a week or two, then don't tell them about the notice. You'll most likely lose your damage deposit but at least you get to fuck them over.