SRS i got myself into a bit of a pickle...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by themacstallion, Jan 20, 2005.

1. themacstallion

themacstallion The electric sheep are dreaming up your fate

okay im a 17 year old guy, im homeschooled and i have been since middle school. i have REALLY slacked off recently and i am at least a year and a half behind of where i should be. i went to high school for my freshmen year and failed so i went back to homeschool. which is when i got even further behind and i just keep messing myself up and now i think ive gone too far to go back and get on track for several reasons. i also waited until i was 16 and a half to get my learners permit for driving and in a little over my month im FINALLY getting my license.

i want to quit school right now and get my GED. and get a full-time job while continuing to work at the restaurant i work at now for nights. with those jobs i want to save up about 10k for moving out in about 2 years. i turn 18 in october and since my dad knows the local warden and several prison faculty i want to work full-time as a prison guard until im 20, which is when the prison can hook me up with a job as a cop in atlanta where ill make 27k-35k starting out. right before im a cop is when i plan to move out with my 10k that i will have saved and get a start on my life.

here is what complicates things...my parents think the GED is only for losers and quitters and i cant get by with it. they are thoroughly forceful that i spend this year, this summer and next year doing school to work towards getting my diploma. the problem with that is it will set me back alot on my current plan for my career for no good reason. i wont be able to work full-time which means i wont be able to save any money to move out on my own in a year or two.

therefore, i have to make a decision. if i decide to do it my way, i have to be completely independent starting now and i wont be able to get their help with anything for a long time including a used car loan that i need to get the car i want next month, my dad said hed only do that if i came up with a plan to finish school before i do anything else. so my option for going my way would be getting my friend's piece of crap car which does run for a couple hundred bucks and then waiting until october when im 18 so i can get credit to get a small used car loan and end up with the car i want. and then continue with my plan from there. if i choose their option, they wont be disappointed in me, ill have the car i want now along with the monthly payments for it, ill have to either start working my ass off here or start going to school during the day and i wont be able to work days, im wasting precious time getting my diploma when my career plan does not require that.

i havent ever had to make a decision this big before and im so effing stressed about it. please help me.

2. themacstallion

3. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

Get your dimploma. You'll regret it for the rest of your life it you won't. You seem to have a pretty good plan, but to be a cop you need a diploma. Just focus on studying for now, and worry about a job and moving out later, trust me it will pay off in the long run. You don't want a GED these days, they are worthless.

4. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

GED and diploma are the same thing..... if you have your goals i'd just go for it.. seems like you thought about this in depth.

5. Charliesc

Charliesc Pain is an illusion

Yeah, I agree, GED's are poo.. Unless extreme circumstances, I belive they are for quitters. Just keep working on it.. you can hold off plans, you are still VERY young. Stick with the home schooling.

6. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

lol no they are NOT the same thing. :rofl:

7. civicmon

then what's the difference?

8. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

:rofl: www.google.com

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Two things, you should never take risks if you don't have too or don't have the backbone to catch the punch. Never take a loan, that's a biblical truth wether you believe it or not. It's never good to have a loan , you either have money or you don't , if you don't, don't spend what you don't have.

Second, Get your diploma, don't choose the easy way out, because the seeds that you plant now will be the harvest of your future. If you stop investing and take loans that you can't pay back ,because you need a GOOD job to earn a bunch of money. Then basically no, your parents are right the GED is worthless. You always have to assure yourself that you have a firm grip on life , like a pittbull biting a leg. No one likes loose ties, and no boss likes to hire a loser and for your information you will always have to perceive your wanted level into society by putting yourself in your bosses shoes. If you where the commissionar, would you hire a cop with all the recommendations,honours and diploma's ,or a vagabond with nothing behind his sleeve to show he can meet up with the demands of the job? You would take the one who is most qualified, and that's why you need the diploma to show society that you are 'qualified' and fit for the job.

The car can easily wait. Try saving money in your life, and apply the following rule.

no expenses + getting a lot of income = becoming richer.

This is truth , no matter who tells you something different don't listen, because in the 'outside world' people are only out to make a profit out of you for their own good. Everyone tries to fill their own pocket, and it is my expertise that if someone wants something of you, it's only going to cost you money. Remember that.

So

-Get Diploma
    -Get Income
    -Get Future

Avoid mistakes, stop taking HIGH risks as you are doing now.Make neccessary decisions and try to avoid conflict with your parents wherever possible as you can.

Goto the library, get yourself a quiet place to learn and study. FOCUS 1000% on your study, let all the other things drop in your life. Be happy with who you are, and constantly try to improve things as this is for your own benefit for yourself.

Take your time, make a good future plan. Strategicly becoming a cop = high risk job, where you could lose your life. Looking at your strategy it involves, loans = bad,becoming a cop = bad ,as it is high risk, dropping out of school = bad,as it gives no diploma and thus no future.

What the hell where you thinking by exposing and putting yourself at unneccessary risks? :ugh2:

My advice is to assure yourself a safe,fruitfull,graduated life, which is achieved by working hard and focussing at your goals.

10. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

If you can see it or not, your parents are concerned about the long-term for you.
    Because you decided not to study you are at this place now. Your parents want to help you, you screwed up. This is about you growing up. Finish the home school program. I was as stupid as you are. I wanted to quit school and join the Air Force. It didn't work out, I finished school and got a really good job. It's your turn on the dance floor.

11. themacstallion

thanks, after your posts i'm leaning towards getting my friend's shitty car and going back to school (its an alternative school for people at high risk of dropping out to catch up and get their diploma). that way i wont be stuck in making car payments for the next 4 years, with my current job ill make enough for insurance and ill still be able to have spending money. ill postpone the full-time job and saving up for moving out until after i get my diploma. thanks alot guys i really appreciate it!

12. civicmon

you said it, defend it yourself.

13. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

omg dude, GED is what high school drop-outs get!!!

14. civicmon

omg I didn't know!!!!

holy shit!!!

so, how's it different from graduating? I mean, both are essentally worthless these days as they have the same outcome, high school completion OR EQUIVLANCY, which is what a GED is.

I say do it if you really think it matters. My friend did it, got his GED and went straight to JC, was a college grad at 19... HS literally held him back.

15. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

dude they are not the same thing, GEDs won't get you into a 4 year college unless you go to a communitiy college to make up for the high school credits you lost, but then it would still look bad on your resume and shit. GEDs don't get you far in life, or they do if you want to spend like 8 years making up credits and advancing forward.

16. RyeBread

RyeBread If you tell the truth you don't have to remember a

who the fuck puts highschool or GED on a resume? what type of job asks for transcripts of either?

seriously? :ugh:

I had a 3.6 with AP classes in highschool - didn't do a lick of homework, didn't apply myself at all. of course that was back in '87 so it has about as much application to today as a 78 rpm vinyl record album...

17. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

under where you state your education you're suposed to put something like high school graduate... but if you have a GED then obviously you are not an high school gradute and during the job interview they'll ask you about it and you'll have to say that you don't have a diploma, you only have a GED, and they'll be like, alright we'll contact you later.. and you'll never hear from them ;)

18. Bleed

Bleed New Member

my friend dropped out of high school and took the GED. he is now working as a network administrator for an activision owned video game developer and doing well. he just bought a house and drives a $65,000 bmw. he's 23. :dunno:

19. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

not saying it's impossible, but it's just better to have your diploma.

20. RyeBread

RyeBread If you tell the truth you don't have to remember a

resume's aren't required to have education posted to them, especially if it's not relevant to the job app.

as for actual job apps, most usually don't ask you to document all of your education, usually it's something like "highest level attained".

if he takes a single community college, or full university course, he can put "some college" down with full, and complete honesty.

:dunno:

for that matter, when competing with others for a job, the best app, resume, and credentials are often much less important than who you know...

21. themacstallion

this is true, even so, 96% of employers and 94% of colleges accept GEDs...i did an ass load of researching on it a few months ago.

22. themacstallion

:werd: i have had 3 jobs, everyone of them was because i knew someone who got me the job, the didnt give a damn about who i was or what credentials i had, as long as their cousin says im good....then im good.

23. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

well, my point is that in the long run it's better to have your dimploma over your GED..

24. Wise choice.

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I don't have any advice but... do you really say the phrase, "gotten myself into a bit of a pickle?" If you do, could you record it and post it? Man... classic Americana that I've never actually heard in person!