I got my jeep back!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Valence, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

It is a 97 wrangler se 4 cyl 2.5 l
    It was my first vehicle , loud (rag top) slow, underpowered, unreliable

and yet fun!
    It's been sitting in the garage for about a year and a half and has been driven by my dad about 12 times or so.

Now to fix the unreliable part. I have a check engine light (big surprise there) and I am taking it to auto zone to have the free engine test done. I have to get it inspected (won't pass with check engine light)

I know these tests don't tell you much, but I don't want to pay 80 bucks at the dealership to have their test run. What are my options? i'm in 77014, Houston.

Other needed repairs:

Front end alignment

Tire balancing

Oil pressure gauge registers 0. Then give it some gas and shift into first, and the it registers pressure. Then stop and it beeps and drops to 0.

a/c doesn't blow from the vents, it makes a pop and a whining noise, must be a vacuum hose problem. any ideas? It comes (it used to, don't know about know) come out chilled, yet would only blow from the defroster and the vents)

weather stripping around the windshield needs to be redone, it's falling away from the window.

engine runs really rough and is hard to start sometimes, and this may coincide with the check engine light.

Top needs to be replaced. I replaced the rear window, the rear two windows with after market zip in windows with tint. The top portion, or the canopy needs to be replaced, it's moldy and showing signs of wear and ripping. Thinking about a hard top with thumb screw fastener kit to remove it (the hardtop) with no tools and reinstall it the same way.

plus all recalls that it may qualify for.

THEN

I want a new air intake, something like a high airflow k&n to give it some power. Also want to chip it (once the engine runs better)
    Any ideas on things to do to give me more power?

Pics later.

2. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

ok so I just got back from auto zone, and they tested to see what error messages I was getting..

The first said the gas cap was bad, something related to that
    the second claims the o2 sensor before the catalytic converter was bad and that the engine was running too lean...

any info or input on this?

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

OK, replace your gas cap. They are cheap. Make sure the filler neck is good and not leaking.

Next, replace your O2 sensor. They aren't that expensive. Screwy readings there will throw the engine computer way off.